Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

WiFi Hot Spot with no cell signal??

Old 12-10-2016, 11:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WiFi Hot Spot with no cell signal??

I test drove a Q7 this afternoon. I told my sales person about my need for navigation functions when I have no cell coverage, traveling to National Parks etc. She told me that using the Q7 wifi I could surf the internet on my MacBook from anywhere regardless of whether I had cell service because the car uses satellites.

If this were true, I would love it. Can anyone confirm that this actually works?
Old 12-10-2016, 11:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not true. The Q7 WiFi hotspot is using AT&T LTE signals... However, the in-car navigation should work since map data is stored in the car.
Old 12-10-2016, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

another case of salesperson's misinformation ..... ask him what's the covers under the headlights ... I bet he would say headlight washer without blinking
Old 12-10-2016, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

LOL, that's a good one. We really should start a "**** sales people say" thread. The built in navigation will work fine, because the maps are stored locally and you still get a GPS signal in the middle of nowhere, because that indeed comes from satellites, but you won't get traffic data or be able to use the Wi-Fi hotspot unless you have AT&T coverage.

An other alternative is using a smartphone app with proper offline support such as HERE maps.

But apps like Google maps and Waze pretty much fall flat on the face in remote areas.
Old 12-10-2016, 07:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Also, Google earth overlay will be not be available if you don't have cell reception, the Map display will revert to the basic maps (locally stored).
Old 12-11-2016, 09:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
LOL, that's a good one. We really should start a "**** sales people say" thread. The built in navigation will work fine, because the maps are stored locally and you still get a GPS signal in the middle of nowhere, because that indeed comes from satellites, but you won't get traffic data or be able to use the Wi-Fi hotspot unless you have AT&T coverage.

An other alternative is using a smartphone app with proper offline support such as HERE maps.

But apps like Google maps and Waze pretty much fall flat on the face in remote areas.
Thanks to all who confirmed my suspicion that this wasn't correct.

It looks like HERE maps are only for the U.K. I'm in the U.S.A.
Old 12-11-2016, 09:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by tzchang
Not true. The Q7 WiFi hotspot is using AT&T LTE signals... However, the in-car navigation should work since map data is stored in the car.
Which means you must subscribe the to data service for that to work?
Old 12-11-2016, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by Florida Guy
It looks like HERE maps are only for the U.K. I'm in the U.S.A.
Not true. HERE maps works in most countries. I'm in the USA, too, and I use it in California if I'm not driving my car, as well as when I'm traveling to Germany, Switzerland etc. The only country I regularly go to that HERE maps doesn't have detailed map data for is Japan.

The app was recently re-branded after BMW, Audi and Daimler bought the HERE business unit from Nokia. HERE is the former Navteq company that Nokia acquired and they supply maps to many car navigation systems, including Audi. Search for "HERE WeGo" in the app store to make sure you get the right app. Following is the link to the iOS version.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/here...955837609?mt=8

Last edited by superswiss; 12-11-2016 at 09:33 AM.
Old 12-11-2016, 07:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
LOL, that's a good one. We really should start a "**** sales people say" thread.
GOOD IDEA!! It's going to be a good reference for potential buyers to know if his / her salesperson is knowledgeable or a dummy.

I can contribute 3 items ....
Old 12-12-2016, 07:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Keyser Wi
another case of salesperson's misinformation ..... ask him what's the covers under the headlights ... I bet he would say headlight washer without blinking
Not to take this off-topic, but what are the covers under the headlights? I did think it was headlight washers...

Search this Thread