Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Windshield staining and "one last wipe" after spray

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 08:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Windshield staining and "one last wipe" after spray

I am having very hard time keeping windshield clean during these rainy/snowy days. She slightest amount of road splash causes a smear as if it sticks to the glass.
I used the Audi fluid and I thought that was the problem, switched the Peak blue washer, same issue. When it wipes with the fluid, it's crystal clear, so it's not the fluid.
When I wipe a few times I can clearly see some kind of stains that disappear shortly after as long as I am under direct light. Is there anything I can do to "deep clean" the windshield? It seems as if there is some kind of chemical or film or something on it that causes whatever touches it to stick and smear and not run off.

2nd and related issue is whenever I spray while driving on highway, the wipers engage for 3 times, I have a perfect vision (although a bit smear on passenger side), it stops, and about 4-5 seconds later it wipes one last time. Why, Audi, why? It was perfectly clean, maybe with a few drops of road splash, and now you just smeared it along with a mix of washer fluid that was remaining on edges, now I got lines all over the place.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:53 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

These wipers suck. Had a rain storm 2 days ago and they barely clean. I see streaks after a wipe and made it hard to see out. Car is only a week old too and I'm thinking of changing the blades? Are they the issue or is this down to dirty windshield. Not sure they thoroughly detailed the car as when I arrived to pick it up, they were still doing the PDI.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:28 PM
Audi Q7 Prestige'18 Owner

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by protox
These wipers suck. Had a rain storm 2 days ago and they barely clean. I see streaks after a wipe and made it hard to see out. Car is only a week old too and I'm thinking of changing the blades? Are they the issue or is this down to dirty windshield. Not sure they thoroughly detailed the car as when I arrived to pick it up, they were still doing the PDI.
There is another post on the subject that suggests that the dealer needs to clean the windshield with super fine steel wool to get mfg muck and oil off the glass.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I would keep steel wool off of the glass! I have heard of people using it sparingly for mineral deposits. There is nothing on glass that acetone won’t remove.I have used Rain X and it did leave a residue that took awhile to get rid of. Most smears are caused by the wipers. I switched from rubber to silicone blades, big difference.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Clay bar works well on windshields, as does a basic glass polish.

VW used to send out a complimentary kit that contained 3M clay and some lube in a small spray bottle to owners who complained. However, the polishing routine generally liberates far more crap from windshields that appear to be completely clean.

Regular wiper blade changes are important, too.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Also, would something SoftScrub general cleaner with a 3M Scottbrite scrubbing pad work? This combo was recommended by my shower glass installer for the treated shower glass doors. I have used this for 3 yrs now on the shower glass with no scratching and it's very effective on removing film and water spots.
Just a thought.
Old 01-12-2018, 04:16 AM
JT4
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Before you try anything else change the wiper blades.. As I mention in another thread, I changed mine a little over 2 weeks ago and it made a BIG difference in how they clear rain, snow and how the washer performs..

I haven't changed the rear wiper yet since the store didn't have the size, and just this morning, with this mist / rain we're getting I noticed how clear the front windshield was and as usual the rear OEM wiper was chattering and streaking like crazy..

Last edited by JT4; 01-12-2018 at 04:19 AM.
Old 01-12-2018, 05:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, use 0000# steel wool and solvent. 0000# wool will NOT scratch glass.
Old 01-12-2018, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JT4
Before you try anything else change the wiper blades.. As I mention in another thread, I changed mine a little over 2 weeks ago and it made a BIG difference in how they clear rain, snow and how the washer performs..

I haven't changed the rear wiper yet since the store didn't have the size, and just this morning, with this mist / rain we're getting I noticed how clear the front windshield was and as usual the rear OEM wiper was chattering and streaking like crazy..
Have a link to which you switched to?
Old 01-12-2018, 09:45 AM
JT4
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimminez
Have a link to which you switched to?
I went to the store with the intention of purchasing Bosch but they didn't have the size for the passenger side.. Since I wanted the same blades on both sides, and I've had good experience with Trico I gave these a try.. They come with the fitment adapters..

TRICO Ultra: High-performance Beam Blade TRICO® Windshield Wipers

Quick Reply: Windshield staining and "one last wipe" after spray