Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Winter Tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 06:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Winter Tires

With winter being around the corner, and me being in Canada, I need to start looking at winter tires soon.

We have the Technik package with 21" run flat summer so for sure I need winters.

What do you guys have setup for winter? I'm thinking of going down a size, perhaps even 2, although I' afraid 19" might look a little weird.
Old 08-13-2017, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

20" replicas with 275/45 Bridgestone Blizzak DMV2s. Unfortunately (?) we didn't get enough snow last winter to really test them out, but with what we did get, they were great. I also run 21" OEMs with the Continental summers.
BTW - if you have the OEM 21" summers - they're not run flat. Only the 20" all seasons are.

Old 08-13-2017, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I will probably get winter tires.

What I am not sure of is if I should run summer tires/winter tires or all-season tires/winter tires.

Probably all-season/winter in case the winter are not on and get caught in some snow. Or in case I want to sell the car, may be hard to sell with summer tires.
Old 08-13-2017, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Cadx6
20" replicas with 275/45 Bridgestone Blizzak DMV2s. Unfortunately (?) we didn't get enough snow last winter to really test them out, but with what we did get, they were great. I also run 21" OEMs with the Continental summers.
BTW - if you have the OEM 21" summers - they're not run flat. Only the 20" all seasons are.

@Cadx6 Which replicas are those you're running? Hartmann's? If so, which ones? That looks EXACTLY like the set-up I am in need of purchasing for my Prestige.

Thanks,

John
Old 08-13-2017, 05:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TrueAt1stLight
@Cadx6 Which replicas are those you're running? Hartmann's? If so, which ones? That looks EXACTLY like the set-up I am in need of purchasing for my Prestige.

Thanks,

John
Actually they're from a wheel shop in California thru eBay. They're from China (I know - Boo) but I had them inspected by my tire guy who I trust & he indicated they looked like good quality as far as his methods could determine.
They're 20x9 ET33 - same as OEM 10 spoke 20s. The Hartmanns only come in 40 & 29 offsets - not sure if that's a problem.
Hartmanns are great wheels, but they're $370/ea. Mine were about $900 delivered. They survived their first season of Chicago potholes They run perfectly true, no air leaks, etc.
I wait until the last minute to remove my 21" OEMs & stick 'em back on at the first robin of spring. Didn't scrimp on the tires, but couldn't quite justify the extra for the wheels.
Old 08-13-2017, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Go to 6:15 in the video:

The video could just be scare tactics from the car companies though.
Old 08-13-2017, 08:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cadx6
Hmm...I was told by the salesperson that they are run flats, and they feel like it. I'll have another look.
Old 08-14-2017, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I brought my father to the pickup because he likes cars, and I needed a ride. He asked the salesman if the run-flats ride as well as normal tires. That is a question I would never ask, as I know the answer is that of course they don't, for two reasons. One is that the sidewall is very stiff from the added steel. The other is because they are heavier, and that changes the ratio of sprung to unsprung mass in a bad way. I figured the salesman would say something like "Not as well, but it is worth it for the peace of mind." Far enough.

He said "Oh yeah, they ride just as well. Maybe the first generation run-flats didn't, but now they do."
Old 08-14-2017, 09:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rsilvers129
I brought my father to the pickup because he likes cars, and I needed a ride. He asked the salesman if the run-flats ride as well as normal tires. That is a question I would never ask, as I know the answer is that of course they don't, for two reasons. One is that the sidewall is very stiff from the added steel. The other is because they are heavier, and that changes the ratio of sprung to unsprung mass in a bad way. I figured the salesman would say something like "Not as well, but it is worth it for the peace of mind." Far enough.

He said "Oh yeah, they ride just as well. Maybe the first generation run-flats didn't, but now they do."
I am from Canada too and the only difference between our cars is the colour. The dealer is advising either 18 or 19 inch wheels with 255/60/18 or 255/55/19 tires. Also dont forget that if at any point you need snow chains those come in 18 or 19 inch max. The reason being that where I live there is consistent icing based on thaw and freeze cycles throughout the period and limitations of studded tires in the city.

Hope this helps
Old 08-14-2017, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pmxant
I am from Canada too and the only difference between our cars is the colour. The dealer is advising either 18 or 19 inch wheels with 255/60/18 or 255/55/19 tires. Also dont forget that if at any point you need snow chains those come in 18 or 19 inch max. The reason being that where I live there is consistent icing based on thaw and freeze cycles throughout the period and limitations of studded tires in the city.

Hope this helps
I don't think you can get 18" tires in the US, I know I've never seen them on the Q7's.

Quick Reply: Winter Tires