AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Q7 MKII Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mkii-discussion-211/)
-   -   Winter tires for new Q7? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mkii-discussion-211/winter-tires-new-q7-2907304/)

Metzga 09-28-2016 09:19 PM

Winter tires for new Q7?
 
I am looking for a good winter tire for our new Q7 for this year. My dealer told me that Audi went with a new wheel size for the new Q7 and they only have a Goodyear Ultra Grip 8 tire and a Pirelli (Scorpion Winter?) that has been backordered for a while. The past 6 years we have had Blizzak tires on our old Q7 and I really loved them. In order to get Blizzaks again, I'd have to buy a wheel and tire package because Bridgestone doesn't make the Blizzak in the new wheel size. Since we leased the Q7 I really didn't want to buy a second set of wheels and I honesty rather stick with the 20" wheels I have. Our previous Q7 had 20" as well and we never had issues (also have the air suspension, which helps).

Has anyone any input regarding the Pirelli or Goodyear tire? I read some review online but they weren't from Q7 or Audi users.

Thank you

Gani 09-28-2016 09:26 PM

My q7 hals 20 inch summer tires. But for winter...after extensive research ....i saw that 19 inch winter tires would be better.

Eppieguy 09-29-2016 04:53 AM


Originally Posted by Gani (Post 24863218)
My q7 hals 20 inch summer tires. But for winter...after extensive research ....i saw that 19 inch winter tires would be better.

I thought the 20's were all seasons and the 21's were summer tires?

Cadx6 09-29-2016 05:33 AM


Originally Posted by Metzga (Post 24863217)
I am looking for a good winter tire for our new Q7 for this year. My dealer told me that Audi went with a new wheel size for the new Q7 and they only have a Goodyear Ultra Grip 8 tire and a Pirelli (Scorpion Winter?) that has been backordered for a while. The past 6 years we have had Blizzak tires on our old Q7 and I really loved them. In order to get Blizzaks again, I'd have to buy a wheel and tire package because Bridgestone doesn't make the Blizzak in the new wheel size. Since we leased the Q7 I really didn't want to buy a second set of wheels and I honesty rather stick with the 20" wheels I have. Our previous Q7 had 20" as well and we never had issues (also have the air suspension, which helps).

Has anyone any input regarding the Pirelli or Goodyear tire? I read some review online but they weren't from Q7 or Audi users.

Thank you

The only major difference with the "wheel size" on the new Q7 & the old generation is the bolt pattern (5x112 vs 5x130).
If you're in the US & have the 10 spoke wheels, they come with All-Seasons but Bridgestone definitely does have 20" Blizzak DMV 2's available. They're 275/45 vs the stock 285/45, but a slightly narrower tire is preferable for dedicated winter use.
I purchased a set of 20" wheels with the exact same specs as the OEM 20's & mounted the Blizzaks which will replace my 21" summers when winter comes.

Gani 09-29-2016 10:09 AM


Originally Posted by Eppieguy (Post 24863265)
I thought the 20's were all seasons and the 21's were summer tires?

I am in europe. We have greater choice than across the pond.

Eppieguy 09-29-2016 10:25 AM


Originally Posted by Gani (Post 24863393)
I am in europe. We have greater choice than across the pond.

Ahhh..., I see, didn't know where you live.

Metzga 09-29-2016 04:23 PM


Originally Posted by Cadx6 (Post 24863277)
The only major difference with the "wheel size" on the new Q7 & the old generation is the bolt pattern (5x112 vs 5x130).
If you're in the US & have the 10 spoke wheels, they come with All-Seasons but Bridgestone definitely does have 20" Blizzak DMV 2's available. They're 275/45 vs the stock 285/45, but a slightly narrower tire is preferable for dedicated winter use.
I purchased a set of 20" wheels with the exact same specs as the OEM 20's & mounted the Blizzaks which will replace my 21" summers when winter comes.

Thank You!!!!
I talked to them today and they said that the Blizzak will work, it just wouldn't be the "correct" size (275 instead of 285) but definitely better than another set of wheels.
Thank for everyone's input!

larryV 09-29-2016 05:57 PM


Originally Posted by Metzga (Post 24863545)
Thank You!!!!
I talked to them today and they said that the Blizzak will work, it just wouldn't be the "correct" size (275 instead of 285) but definitely better than another set of wheels.
Thank for everyone's input!

I went with 275/45/20 Nokian Hakka R2 mounted on 20" Q5 S-line peelers.

The difference in rolling diameter is so minute that there will be less than 1 mph speedometer error at 80mph.

STiGuy 09-30-2016 12:44 AM

I'm planning on putting 255/50/20 winter tires on OEM 20s, narrow is not sexy but more effective in winter condition ;). Will probably get a set of 20x10" wheels and reusing the stock 285/45 all seasons as my summer set.

NGN 09-30-2016 11:10 AM


Originally Posted by Cadx6 (Post 24863277)
The only major difference with the "wheel size" on the new Q7 & the old generation is the bolt pattern (5x112 vs 5x130).
If you're in the US & have the 10 spoke wheels, they come with All-Seasons but Bridgestone definitely does have 20" Blizzak DMV 2's available. They're 275/45 vs the stock 285/45, but a slightly narrower tire is preferable for dedicated winter use.
I purchased a set of 20" wheels with the exact same specs as the OEM 20's & mounted the Blizzaks which will replace my 21" summers when winter comes.

Did you mean aftermarket 20s that are the same design as the original Audi 20" wheels? If so, could you please share where you got them?

I have the 21" wheels (on summer tires) and I'm trying to decide what 20" wheels to get for my winter setup. Tires will be Nokian Hakka R2.

Thank you,


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:07 AM.


© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands