Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Winter tires for new Q7?

 
Old 02-08-2019, 07:26 AM
  #141  
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 286
Default

FWIW, I've had both the Blizzak and the Michelin X-Ice tires in the past. From a snow and snow/ice perspective, I think the Blizzak tires are better. From a dry pavement road handling perspective, I think the Michelin tires are a bit better. That said, the Blizzak tires are surprisingly good even on dry pavement - they are of course much softer than the OEM tires, but actually sometimes a welcomed change from the harsh sidewalls of the runflat tires. Here in Utah, with trips to the mountains, I decided I would rather have the better snow performance and give up just a hair on dry pavement, so I got the Blizzaks for my 2018 Q7 (as well as my wife's minivan).
AlbertQ7 is offline  
Old 02-08-2019, 08:23 AM
  #142  
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
NABS4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 1,736
Default

Originally Posted by AlbertQ7 View Post
FWIW, I've had both the Blizzak and the Michelin X-Ice tires in the past. From a snow and snow/ice perspective, I think the Blizzak tires are better. From a dry pavement road handling perspective, I think the Michelin tires are a bit better. That said, the Blizzak tires are surprisingly good even on dry pavement - they are of course much softer than the OEM tires, but actually sometimes a welcomed change from the harsh sidewalls of the runflat tires. Here in Utah, with trips to the mountains, I decided I would rather have the better snow performance and give up just a hair on dry pavement, so I got the Blizzaks for my 2018 Q7 (as well as my wife's minivan).
I agree with your assessment. I've had Blizzak DMV on an MDX and the Q7 and WS70 on an Odyssey and they're superior on ice/snow as compared to the X-ice tires I've had on an S4 and A6 and the current Latitude X-ice I have on the SQ5. The X-ice are quieter and the tread blocks aren't as "squishy" on dry pavement as the Blizzaks. And I think they wear slightly better, if that's a concern.
NABS4 is offline  
Old 02-08-2019, 08:29 AM
  #143  
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
NABS4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 1,736
Default

Originally Posted by mhoran89 View Post
I just went with a 18" tire rack package with 255/55/18 Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2. Very quiet, smooth ride. Mushy on dry pavement at highway speeds but that is to be expected. I will report in after the next winter weather event. Hopefully I will get two seasons out of them but not hopeful with skiing every weekend and putting over 650 miles on the car a week in the winter.

I just noticed your tire size and I don't think you'll ever get a speeding ticket. The above is a comparison between 255/55/19 and 255/55/18, and the speedo in your car is reading 3.44% too high. .
NABS4 is offline  
Old 02-08-2019, 11:08 AM
  #144  
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: MA
Posts: 420
Default

Originally Posted by NABS4 View Post

I just noticed your tire size and I don't think you'll ever get a speeding ticket. The above is a comparison between 255/55/19 and 255/55/18, and the speedo in your car is reading 3.44% too high. .
I messed that up I got 255/60/18 with overal circumference of 30". Sorry for any confusion.
mhoran89 is offline  
Old 02-08-2019, 06:37 PM
  #145  
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 396
Default

Originally Posted by AlbertQ7 View Post
Here in Utah, with trips to the mountains, I decided I would rather have the better snow performance and give up just a hair on dry pavement, so I got the Blizzaks for my 2018 Q7 (as well as my wife's minivan).
Good choice if you're frequently dealing with snowy, slippery roads as you surely are in Utah (been there skiing quite a few times, and I appreciate what you have to contend with!). But for most of us here in the U.S. who don't have to deal with those conditions nearly as often, I think the Michelin's may be the better choice...better handling, ride and tread wear in nearly all conditions.
JBaumgart is offline  
Old 02-10-2019, 06:31 AM
  #146  
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 59
Default

What is the proper offset for wheels if I go with 255/55/19R tires?
V13T is offline  
Old 02-10-2019, 11:16 AM
  #147  
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: New York City
Posts: 162
Default

Originally Posted by V13T View Post
What is the proper offset for wheels if I go with 255/55/19R tires?
I have the OEM winters in that size, offset ET28, IIRC.
netrom17 is offline  
Old 02-10-2019, 11:20 AM
  #148  
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
NABS4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 1,736
Default

Originally Posted by V13T View Post
What is the proper offset for wheels if I go with 255/55/19R tires?
Anything from ~25 to ~35 will be fine. I think mine are +32.
NABS4 is offline  
Old 02-10-2019, 11:33 AM
  #149  
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 396
Default

Originally Posted by V13T View Post
What is the proper offset for wheels if I go with 255/55/19R tires?
Suggest you go to tirerack.com, enter your specific Q7 year and model info, and look at the wheel/tire combinations that come up.
JBaumgart is offline  
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
SaintAudi
Parts For Sale
1
09-26-2016 05:51 PM
Spent Fuel
Parts For Sale
0
09-23-2016 04:05 PM
mavila
Parts For Sale
4
09-22-2016 10:19 PM
Zephyr7
Parts For Sale
2
09-20-2016 08:37 AM
Signal_q7
Q7 MKII Discussion
2
09-08-2016 12:16 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Winter tires for new Q7?


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: