Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Would coding the car void the warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would coding the car void the warranty?

So I've been messing with coding in the Q7 for a while. Wondering if coding the car would void the warranty? Especially if something go wrong in the electric system, folding mirror, sunroof, windows, for example, would the dealership blame it to the coding that I did? They could tell if I made the coding, because I retrofitted the auto hold button and dynamic tail lights, so it's easy to tell. Any first hand experience?
Old 08-16-2018, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

on the simple coding probably not. if they were ever to even try it would have to be a perfect storm

retrofitting stuff may void something only case specific to the issue that would happen
Old 08-16-2018, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by stevenkong
So I've been messing with coding in the Q7 for a while. Wondering if coding the car would void the warranty? Especially if something go wrong in the electric system, folding mirror, sunroof, windows, for example, would the dealership blame it to the coding that I did? They could tell if I made the coding, because I retrofitted the auto hold button and dynamic tail lights, so it's easy to tell. Any first hand experience?
Spoke with my Service Adviser on this very subject a few days ago. He said it will affect/void warranty... He told me that Audi computer equipment now is set to recognize any deviation from factory coding - regardless of the reason why they are using this equipment. Identified deviations are reported and if you'll bring your car in for a service next time to work on deviation-affected module/block/etc. - warranty coverage can be declined. I am not adding anything to his reply nor can I confirm whether what he said is accurate or not - take it as is.
Old 08-16-2018, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

No. Because when your’re coding (I assume you mean with VCDS/OBD11) you can reverse your changes. With VCDS i make sure to log my changes. If there’s an issue whereby a MIL is thrown you can always correct the error and clear it. I’ve been around here for a few years and have never heard of anyone having issues with dealers because of coding. CC’s SA was providing a CYA corporate response.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info. Yes I guess if anything wrong with the parts that related to the coded module, Audi might blame the coding and void the warranty. It's a pain in the a$$. So is coding still worth risk?
Old 08-16-2018, 10:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

15 years of coding my audis and never, ever been told it was a problem and never discovered that I had changed anything. I think that tech was either confused (chipping your car - a physical change in the ecu - does flag the car)... OR... he was BS'ing you.
Old 08-17-2018, 03:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about the TD1 branding?
Old 08-17-2018, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

Void the entire warranty...NO. Refuse a warranty claim related to a specific module/system that you coded... YES, possible. See this:

Old 08-17-2018, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Guzzgreg
What about the TD1 branding?
That is a coding change to the ECU (e.g. sending it out to have it reprogrammed by a tuner.) - you can't do that with simple RossTech cable and software.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by RickObe
Void the entire warranty...NO. Refuse a warranty claim related to a specific module/system that you coded... YES, possible. See this:
Big maybe - I coded my mirrors to dip on my Q7, mirror motor and switch died, I TOLD the dealership that I coded that feature and the tech literally rolled his eyes at me. Had an engine seal covered on a chipped 2.0T in my A3. Clutch replaced under warranty on a chipped A4. Obviously anecdotal, and it says a lot about my dealership, but still, its at least 1 data point that VCDS mods are minimal risk... ECU mods are different and I think that's rolling the dice, but I've been lucky.

I don't think any of the VCDS coders will tell you not to do it - the chip moders might say something different however - the TD1 is scary indeed, but not sure who on this forum was denied a claim due to a TD1.

Quick Reply: Would coding the car void the warranty?