AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Q7 MKII Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mkii-discussion-211/)
-   -   Would you consider the owning the Q7 long term - 5+ yrs? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mkii-discussion-211/would-you-consider-owning-q7-long-term-5-yrs-2955223/)

markeee 08-08-2018 03:36 PM

Would you consider the owning the Q7 long term - 5+ yrs?

Hi everyone.

I'm considering getting a CPO Q7, and would be "upgrading" from an Acura MDX which is 9 yrs old now. I tend to be one of those who buys everything 2nd hand - house, cars, boats, musical instruments, wives (ok, no... she was brand new haha). Seriously though, I'm impressed by the new Q7 and have been eyeing it (along with an X5 35D).

I've searched threads, and the web, but haven't been convinced. Would it be risky owning a CPO Q7 for 5-8 years? I've heard too often "Ahhh... stick with your Japanese.... German cars aren't reliable".

JD Power says one thing, Consumer Reports another. What do you guys say? Do you just lease and return? Do you guys purchase with a goal of keeping it long term?

I asked in an earlier thread about buying a higher mileage CPO (45k miles), and am still considering it... but do have a little worry about longer-term reliability - I mean I do expect things to break, it's normal, especially here in my part of Canada, roads are perhaps the worst in North America.... things break.

Thanks for the help!

iconoclast 08-08-2018 03:53 PM

Hell no. I've owned six different 4L Q7 and I would not own any of them out of warranty let alone a 4M with far more tech and gadgetry.

Force-1 08-08-2018 04:20 PM

We don't own vehicles out of warranty, and haven't for about 30 years. Not that we don't trust them - we just like to drive new vehicle every 3-4 years.

Kidentist 08-08-2018 04:24 PM

I told my wife yes........
But, probably not, I'll figure out how to bail at year 4

markeee 08-08-2018 04:36 PM

So basically, once the CPO warranty is up - you get rid of it basically as it's a liability?

The CPO warranty wording in Canada says "Coverage for up to six years or up to 160,000 km (100k miles) from the original in-service date" - so this means if I get a CPO that was originally bought in 2017 - it's got up to 2023, or 160,000 km (100k miles)?

Original in-service date is when the first owner bought the car, or when I, the new owner bought it? The car I was looking at has 45k miles on it, for a 2017, is quite high (basically, 2 owners, 1st one barely drove it; 2nd one drove ~ 32k miles in about 1 year with it until he gave it to Audi). So in this case, would it means, car would be CPO until 100k miles, or I have 55k miles left?

Guess there lies the difference between the Lexus/Acura vs Audi/BMW brands? My MDX has been out of warranty for ever now... been not bad (in the face of major issues like transmission, etc).

AudiFanFL 08-08-2018 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by markeee (Post 25192693)
So basically, once the CPO warranty is up - you get rid of it basically as it's a liability?

The CPO warranty wording in Canada says "Coverage for up to six years or up to 160,000 km (100k miles) from the original in-service date" - so this means if I get a CPO that was originally bought in 2017 - it's got up to 2023, or 160,000 km (100k miles)?

Original in-service date is when the first owner bought the car, or when I, the new owner bought it?

It's the date the vehicle was bought by the original owner - so it's indeed 2023 and 100K miles, whatever occurs first.

markeee 08-08-2018 06:18 PM

So motto is: ideal CPO cars should have lower mileage to make the most out of it, and after the magical 6 years are up... get rid of it before it breaks apart hehe.

Sounds like not many keep it for 6+ years then.

iconoclast 08-08-2018 07:38 PM

From my experience and belief luxury vehicles are not built for longevity but brevity and novelty. If you're going to own a car that far out I would be entertaining a Lexus LX. It is the Lexus variant of the Land Cruiser. The vehicle is engineered and built around a 300k mile and 25 year service life.

AlbertQ7 08-08-2018 07:58 PM

Remember that the original in-service date on a 2017 might even be in 2016.
That said, my previous Q7 was an early-build 2012 (summer 2011) which I bought CPO in 2013 with 27K. Traded to Audi because of emissions scandal Sept 2017 with 84K miles. I guess I got lucky, because the only repairs were replacing the AC blower motor because it was whining (still functioning, just loud), and replacing one of the NOx sensors (part of diesel emissions system). I was able to do both of those things myself, so they were not very expensive.
I think more things go wrong more often the first few years, then it's not bad for a while, barring misfortune. My plan is to keep the '18 Q7 for a long time (7-8 years), unless it ends up being a "bad egg" or something comes along that is superior to it for my needs before that time is up.

Tiburblium 08-09-2018 03:34 AM

Everyone is different with regards to risk tolerance, there are also many variables to consider: age demographic, mileage, climate, road conditions, garage storage, etc.

We will keep our Q7 for at least 10 years. No extended warranty, I've never purchased them in my 30 years of vehicle ownership.

Our prior family car, primarily driven by my wife, was a 2004 BMW X5 that I purchased used in 2008 and kept just short of 10 years. My current car (wife is primary Q7 driver) is a 2001 BMW 540 that I also bought used, back in 2011. My prior car was a 1999 BMW 335i that I also bought used. Save for a few minor repairs here and there, these cars have never called for anything other than standard maintenance items: fluids, tires, batteries, belts, etc. I pretty much just took them in for service once a year for the maintenance work.