Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

XPEL for the New Q7

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Leesin
Yes, that was including both sides.
While some have done it, doing the sides of the car isn't very cost efficient. There is very little chance of a rock damaging the sides - almost all the risk is the front surfaces. It's a risk vs. cost decision.

BTW, one reason for the expense of a full front is a piece to cover the entire hood must come from a 60" roll which is costly (about $600 by itself to install). A partial hood bra is a fraction of the cost but will not be as protective and the seam will be visible.

I would also note that not all films are the same. Xpel Ultimate is the only film on the market that has self healing properties, a clear coat layer like your paint and a 10 year warranty including film and labor. It's not the lowest priced film on the market but probably the best. Doing a bra with a less expensive film could easily be under $1000 but a full front with Xpel Ultimate including a full hood with wrapped edges and paint prep will not be possible. Just like an Audi compared to a VW, there are valid reasons why one costs more than the other. That said, one should still shop around.
Old 03-30-2016, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

How effective is the XPEL treatment? Will it really help if the next car slams his door open on yours?
Old 03-30-2016, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ven7782
How effective is the XPEL treatment? Will it really help if the next car slams his door open on yours?
No. Xpel and other similar films prevent paint damage from lightweight debris like small rocks as they hit the surface at speed. They will not prevent the bending or denting of metal as it gets hits by larger heavier things with greater force like the edge of someone else's door slamming open into yours. They will do a good job of preventing sharp edges from penetrating the paint but if the force is heavy enough, the underlying sheet metal will still deform. This is especially true of aluminum outer body panels as they are inherently softer and more prone to being dent. While the Q7 benefits in many ways from the use of aluminum in terms of weight savings, it is very likely that it will be at the expense of being more likely to get door dings from even lighter hits. At least this was my experience with various cars I've owned with aluminum body panels. Sheet aluminum just dents and bends easier. Luckily, paintless dent-repair is almost always successful though slightly more difficult to do with aluminum according to the PDR guys I use.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

I am in NY and just got a quote of $1235 for Xpel Ultimate on the front bumper cover, mirrors and full hood. I will probably have it done. Had it on a Cayenne GTS and it worked well.
Old 03-30-2016, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by termite
I am in NY and just got a quote of $1235 for Xpel Ultimate on the front bumper cover, mirrors and full hood. I will probably have it done. Had it on a Cayenne GTS and it worked well.
Consider adding the front fenders. They are at as much risk as the hood from stones, gravel and such.
Old 03-30-2016, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by larryV
No. Xpel and other similar films prevent paint damage from lightweight debris like small rocks as they hit the surface at speed. They will not prevent the bending or denting of metal as it gets hits by larger heavier things with greater force like the edge of someone else's door slamming open into yours. They will do a good job of preventing sharp edges from penetrating the paint but if the force is heavy enough, the underlying sheet metal will still deform. This is especially true of aluminum outer body panels as they are inherently softer and more prone to being dent. While the Q7 benefits in many ways from the use of aluminum in terms of weight savings, it is very likely that it will be at the expense of being more likely to get door dings from even lighter hits. At least this was my experience with various cars I've owned with aluminum body panels. Sheet aluminum just dents and bends easier. Luckily, paintless dent-repair is almost always successful though slightly more difficult to do with aluminum according to the PDR guys I use.
I agree on the Xpel Ultimate film. It does a great job preventing paint chips from flying debris like small rocks, gravel, etc. it is not armor plated to resist a 60 ib. door smacking with force into your fender. In three years and 50K miles, thanks to Xpel Ultimate, I don't have a single paint chip on the front of my A6.

As to aluminum, the alloys being used today are stronger than in previous years. After I was forced into sideswiping a guard rail last summer, I got to know my Audi Certified Collision Repair Center guys pretty well. They are certified to repair aluminum and have the special training, tools and clean room necessary to do the body work. They told me while aluminum body repair still requires more time and skill (as evidenced by the insurance estimate costs), the strength of the material has improved considerably over the last two or three years.
Old 03-30-2016, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the experience of the installer is key. We picked up the Q7 today. I cannot find a flaw from the bumper to the front of the front doors. Attention to detail is perfect down to the underside of the splitter. Full hood, full fenders, bumper, splitter, headlights, headlight washers, mirrors and no defects: + 30 % Wincos IR film on the two front windows. $2100 all in. Love it! He does my '13 S8 in two weeks.
Old 03-30-2016, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Sounds like it was installed as it should be done. I agree, the installer makes the difference. I do have a question..it took them two weeks? My installer is rated as one of the top ten custom detailers in the U.S. and it took them two and a half days. That's with a complete full front, rocker panels using custom cuts (no kit) and Opti-Coat Pro and Plus applied after the film. Also a flawless job.
Old 03-31-2016, 03:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xpel

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Sounds like it was installed as it should be done. I agree, the installer makes the difference. I do have a question..it took them two weeks? My installer is rated as one of the top ten custom detailers in the U.S. and it took them two and a half days. That's with a complete full front, rocker panels using custom cuts (no kit) and Opti-Coat Pro and Plus applied after the film. Also a flawless job.
My expression should have been more clear re: the time involved. I will be traveling for 10 days or so. The installer will get the S8 the week of 4/11 and will take two days for the install.
Old 03-31-2016, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Ferrari27
My expression should have been more clear re: the time involved. I will be traveling for 10 days or so. The installer will get the S8 the week of 4/11 and will take two days for the install.
Ah, now that makes more sense.

Quick Reply: XPEL for the New Q7