Lost my Power steering and hydrolics is empty.

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost my Power steering and hydrolics is empty.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/alb...ctureid=214869

I thought if there was some fluid in there - I could check the fluid to see if it's dextron II or one of the pentosins.

I haven't noticed any leaks - nor is any fluid making it in by the steering column. What do you think I should add - the manual says ATF - but I know Audi came out with the type 7 and type 11 pentosins years later.

My car might have actually had some care from previous owners . The filter in the fluid reservoir looks newish - too new to be original. So somebody might have already switched away from ATF.

steve
Old 04-16-2009, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

US UrQ are Dexron/Mercon. Of course you should find out where it went first.
Mike

Originally Posted by stevenmurray
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/alb...ctureid=214869

I thought if there was some fluid in there - I could check the fluid to see if it's dextron II or one of the pentosins.

I haven't noticed any leaks - nor is any fluid making it in by the steering column. What do you think I should add - the manual says ATF - but I know Audi came out with the type 7 and type 11 pentosins years later.

My car might have actually had some care from previous owners . The filter in the fluid reservoir looks newish - too new to be original. So somebody might have already switched away from ATF.

steve
Old 04-16-2009, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default photo of the filters I took out of the half empty reservoir

Originally Posted by 4x5x5
Mike
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/alb...ctureid=214899

Well the reservoir is about 6 inches tall so it ended up being half full. These filters don't look too bad. No leaking visible - maybe it's been low since I purchased the car (2003). The steering never acted up till last week though.

The fluid was red and smelled like ATF. The steering rack has torn the bellows, i never noticed that before.

Any good or bad comments on these components or where to look next?

My plans is to pull a hose off the reservoir bottom and refill with fresh Dextron III.
Old 04-17-2009, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Well maybe no leak at all just low. While all is apart you can grab 2 new filters.
Found the filters below @ onlinebmwparts.com (a dealer!)

32-41-1-123-323 - $17
32-41-1-120-715 - $9

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/alb...ctureid=214899

Well the reservoir is about 6 inches tall so it ended up being half full. These filters don't look too bad. No leaking visible - maybe it's been low since I purchased the car (2003). The steering never acted up till last week though.

The fluid was red and smelled like ATF. The steering rack has torn the bellows, i never noticed that before.

Any good or bad comments on these components or where to look next?

My plans is to pull a hose off the reservoir bottom and refill with fresh Dextron III.
Old 04-17-2009, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Well maybe no leak at all just low. While all is apart you can grab 2 new filters.
Found the filters below @ onlinebmwparts.com (a dealer!)

32-41-1-123-323 - $17
32-41-1-120-715 - $9
I own one of the -384 filters (32-41-1-123-323), so I'll pop that baby in. I just ordered it's replacement from your place. The woody looking filter - I have one that is twice as tall as the one in my car, best not to use that.
Old 04-17-2009, 04:14 PM

Steven,
The fluid level won't appear at a normal level unless the accumulator has been depleted by first pumping the brake pedal about 20 times with the engine off.
If you refill the fluid without doing this, you will have an overfill.
You may already know this, but I didn't see you mention it.
Dave
Old 04-17-2009, 07:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I'll give it 10 more pumps

I just gave it 10 pumps and I was uncomfortable with the feel as the pedal moves an inch and a half and stops. I give a few more pumps and see if the level goes up. thanks steve
Old 04-18-2009, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default This Dexron III/ Mercon should be good right? Ready to fill.

Mike
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/alb...ctureid=214950

Looks like it might even take more than a quart to fill that reservoir.

I'll wait till 2pm EST to see if this might not be the best choice for a refill. thanks in advance.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The pedal should be getting pretty firm if you've drained the accumulator. That ATF looks fine, (it wasn't called Dexron III 28 years ago!) I'd be careful to not over fill. ON the filters, You need both parts and yes one is squat and one is taller.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/alb...ctureid=214950

Looks like it might even take more than a quart to fill that reservoir.

I'll wait till 2pm EST to see if this might not be the best choice for a refill. thanks in advance.
Old 04-18-2009, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

As mentioned, you have to comepletely discharge the bomb, befor you check the fluid level, or else when you DO dischage the bomb, it'll overfill the resevoir. (Yes, I've forgotten to do that too!)

Easy way to know when it's comepletely discharged:

Start the motor, and run it for a bit, and the bomb should be charged.
Then, turn off the motor.

Start pumping the brake pedal. After a 'few' pumps (say in the range of 10 to 40), you'll all of a sudden feel the pedal effort change. That's when the bomb has discharged.

COunting the pumps gives a good idea as to the condition of the bomb. Less than 10 pumps probably means that teh bomb is really tired.

Good thing is, it's easily obtainable (again, as it's the same as in older BMW's!)

Quick Reply: Lost my Power steering and hydrolics is empty.