picked up the new to me UrQ yesterday, be ready for a lot of questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default picked up the new to me UrQ yesterday, be ready for a lot of questions

really doesn't look as bad as I thought it might. Haven't heard it run yet, but there's plenty of time to sort everything out before it'll be road ready.
The worst part of body damage (read rust) is on the driver's side 1/4 panel and trunk lid. I have another lid for it already so that's an eas fix.
The front fender/strut tower area appears solid (poked around with a screwdriver) and no rust is apparent.
Now for the first of many questions:

This is an opinion question, should I repaint it back to it's original color (goldish..like Steven's car) or back to the red (it's current color) or a different color?
The red was done pretty good (inside doors/fenders/hoods ) but I'm thinking the original color would add more to it's value.
And if any one knows the paint name and code, it would benice to have, I was unable to find a build tag on the car like on my CGT.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default So its a Gobi Beige painted Red? Is it Mars Red or custom color?

If its outside, you might want to Por-15 the bad spots immediately while you're pumped up.

IMO if the engine bay is still Gobi, then go back to Gobi when you're done.

I'd pull both front fenders off because those tend to show the areas with the most rust (and you'll have to pull them sooner or later to take a look). Also do a visual inspection of the floorpan.
Old 07-03-2006, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: So its a Gobi Beige painted Red? Is it Mars Red or custom color?

The inner fender/strut towers are still gobi,the front rad support/hood latch area was painted red. Not sure if it's mars red but it looks close, even faded to the same shade of faded mars red I've seen before.
The fender area you refer to appears solid from the top and bottom, no visible rust/scale at all. The carpet is out and the floor pans are all there and solid.
The underside of the car appears to have been heavily rustproofed. I worked for a dealer back in '79-84 and know that rustproofing was a big seller up here in the NE back then.
I also know if it wasn't applied right it was worse than no rustproofing at all because it would hold in all the moisture in the voids, causing rust thru problems underneath the rustproofing that went unnoticed until too late. This appears to be an excellent job of undercoating without any voids. I poked around a lot of "prone to" rust areas and found solid metal.
I'll post up some pics tomorrow of what I've got and do a little more poking around.
Maybe fix the fuel line and fire it up for my own little 4th of July fireworks show.