Some advice on buying an 83' Ur quattro

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 09:34 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some advice on buying an 83' Ur quattro

I have found an 1983 ur quattro locally that has just over 100,000 kms on it. It has the original Zermatt Silver paint which is understandably pretty rough. Overall the body is in decent shape. No rust underneath or in the trunk. A few spots, one by the windshield and one by the bottom corner of the front and rear left fenders would need attention but are not bad enough to have to replace the whole fenders. The following is a partial list of what has been done to it:

Suspension:
> Koni Yellow Adjustable shocks on all four corners
> Ground Control Coilovers, custom spring rates from 2 Bennett
> Corner weights adjusted by Almost Racing
> Rear Sway bar by blaufergnugen
> Delrin/Teflon solid control arm bushings on all four corners, by blaufergnugen

Under the hood:
> Garrett T04E/K26 hybrid turbo with "46 Trim" wheel by
> Turbonetics.
> Custom Spearco Side mount Intercooler
> Custom aluminized and crinkle powdercoated steel intercooler
> piping with Spearco silicone connectors
> Four-Row Radiator by Dyalinx/2Bennett
> 200 Turbo Quattro 2-piece exhaust manifold
> Dual-Turbo bypass valves to prolong the life of the turbo
> Euro downpipe with wastegate dump pipe
> Full stainless exhaust with 2 mufflers, catalytic converter removed
> Extra Injector Controller with Map Sensor control by Simple
> Digital Systems
> 2 x 180 lbs/hr Bosch Fuel
> Injectors with Earl's Stainless steel fuel lines mounted
> in the intercooler piping
> Manual Boost Controller (ball and spring type) by Turbosmart
> Oil Pan Baffle plate from 20V turbo
> Almost all
> the little vacuum hoses (about 25 feet) have been replaced
> with
> silicone hose, the car still pulls -20in of vacuum when you take
> your foot
> off the gas. There are no leaks.

> Brakes from a 1993 S4
> Front dual piston calipers
> Rear single piston, vented rotors
> Hydraulic Accumulator "Bomb" replaced with Brake Booster and
> master cylinder from a 200 Turbo Quattro
> Willwood brake proportioning valve mounted next to master cylinder
> Carbotech XP10 brake pads front and rear

The current owner has been very honest about the car and everything done to it. I believe he has taken great of the car up to this point but all I know about ur quattros has been what I have read over the past few years while fantasizing about owning one so I am somewhat naive about what to expect in owning one.

What can I realistically expect from a car like this in terms of reliability? I believe the work that has gone into it has made it much more mechanically reliable than say a stock ur quattro. I would also like to restore it over time (new paint - can you still purchase Zermatt Silver?, body repairs etc...) so what can I expect if going down that road.

Any advice is appreciated. I would like to purchase this car as I think it is a unique opportunity but I would like to reduce the amount of surprises that are inevitable owning a car (any car really) like an ur quattro. Thanks.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:56 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thank you for sharing information about 83 Ur quattro.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Sounds like a pretty decent Urq, lotta tricks which can be a good thing or a bad thing depending what you are looking for in one. As a owner of a 1983 Urq I can tell you that these cars are fun but also a pain. Parts can be tough to find as I am in the market for a power steering booster which are NLA. Put it to you this way, One of the greatest Ferraris every built is the early 60's 250 GTO with less than 50 or so built. Do you think anyone of them are daily drivers? no parts are too rare and expensive just like the Urq. I'm not suggesting treat them like trailer queens but these cars are too rare and too nice to be abused mon-fri in city traffic year round. If you can't afford a Urq and a daily driver I would suggest a newer A4 or A6 quattro they seem to take the everyday abuse better.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:03 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Kidquattro
Sounds like a pretty decent Urq, lotta tricks which can be a good thing or a bad thing depending what you are looking for in one. As a owner of a 1983 Urq I can tell you that these cars are fun but also a pain. Parts can be tough to find as I am in the market for a power steering booster which are NLA. Put it to you this way, One of the greatest Ferraris every built is the early 60's 250 GTO with less than 50 or so built. Do you think anyone of them are daily drivers? no parts are too rare and expensive just like the Urq. I'm not suggesting treat them like trailer queens but these cars are too rare and too nice to be abused mon-fri in city traffic year round. If you can't afford a Urq and a daily driver I would suggest a newer A4 or A6 quattro they seem to take the everyday abuse better.
Thank you for the advice. This car will definitely not be abused as a commuter vehicle. In fact it is already sitting in one of my barns protected from the elements. Next spring I will start prepping the body for a new coat of paint (I will be keeping it the original colour). I think eventually I would like to restore it to its original state but for now I really like the way it is set up mechanically. I have never driven a car like this before. I won't bother articulating exactly what it is about this car that I like so much as I am obviously preaching to the choir on this forum. Thanks again.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Where was this car? With that laundry list of mods it seems like we should have been familiar with the owner at some point? You mentioned kilometers... Canadian car?