Good Transmission shop in Boulder area

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 09:33 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good Transmission shop in Boulder area

Can anyone recommend a good transmission shop in Boulder area?
Old 08-01-2007, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Slushbox or gearbox? Make?...

For gearboxes, I do my own work but my friends have had good success with some shops - I can inquire if interested.
For standard slushies, I don't have a guy, but I hear good things about the guy out on Arapahoe and 63rd, south side and just west of the light right there, that has the Muffler Art in front.
For chevy autos, I have a guy I use.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Re: Slushbox or gearbox? Make?...

03 2.7T Auto. Need the torque converter replaced.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:04 PM

give mag-co a call in broomfield
Old 08-01-2007, 08:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default My thought - that is not a "tranny" job...

The torque converter is the interface between the engine and the big, hydraulic computer that is an automatic transmission. If you need the TC replaced, it's not the same as, say, needing to rebuild the clutch packs in a slushbox, or, say, replace the needle bearings that join the input shaft on a manual to the mainshaft, yadda yadda yadda.

That's the long of it. What I'm getting at is that you don't really need a specialized "tranny" shop for this, so much as a standard shop. For instance, I'd suggest Indian Peaks for that job. Art Kathe at Catalyst is no longer in town, but he used to be a good little indy who'd work on that stuff. Maybe also Slipstream? They are an Audi shop in town who don't get much press, but although I haven't been there except to talk tech on their rally cars, they do a fair bit of audi business and I wonder why I don't hear more of them.

Wolfsburg up in North Boulder is also a shop that will take in Audis (and alot of VW's, as you may deduce from the name). Good experiences there - just don't get sucked into a long discussion with the owner, oh, about anything.

Anyway, I hope I've helped. In my opinion, if you don't need a tranny rebuild so much as the tranny just un- and re-installed, that opens up some options, even if seals need to be replaced on the tranny (which is still standard wrench-turning stuff).

I'd call around and see who will work on that. Make sure you get the book estimate on the job (their labor rate x number of hours), and ask if they would farm out any portion of that job. Also ask if they suggest a tranny rebuild - if not, well, you're in the clear to save yourself mucho bucks by avoiding that step (costly and specialized). Oh yeah - a tranny flush and fill is still standard fare. You're looking for words like "pump" "servo" "clutch" "liner" "friction material" etc etc.... those are terms for rebuilding.

I really hope I've helped on this. Trannies are like the one thing I'll sometimes farm out (that and exhaust), and so although I'm no expert, I've clocked a few TC's in my day. That said, I've also sent a few tumbling down onto shop floors in a shower of red ATF.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default 2nd the Indian Peaks suggestion. They're a nice small shop...

specializing in Audi/VW and Saab. Hard as hell to find though.