New to Forum- Question

Old 11-07-2014, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Forum- Question

Hi everyone, i'm new to the forum (but not to car forums) and I have some questions for you all living in the Rocky Mountain region.

I'm not an Audi owner but am considering one as my next vehicle. I would be looking at getting a B8 A4 (since an S4 would be out of my price range) most likely. I currently have an Infiniti G35x and my last car was a Stage 2 Legacy GT. Going from a turbocharged car to NA at my 4500ft elevation was not the best move from a 'fun' or tuning standpoint.

My questions are centered around how an A4 compares to other cars at higher elevation. As far as acceleration goes, how does an A4 (stock, Stage 1 or Stage 2) compare to something like a G37? I test drove a 2012 A4 and I loved almost everything about it but couldn't stand to pick something up that's slower than a V6 Accord or Camry or something, if that's the case.

Anyway, i'd appreciate any input you can provide. Thanks in advance!
Old 11-11-2014, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by keithk831
Hi everyone, i'm new to the forum (but not to car forums) and I have some questions for you all living in the Rocky Mountain region.

I'm not an Audi owner but am considering one as my next vehicle. I would be looking at getting a B8 A4 (since an S4 would be out of my price range) most likely. I currently have an Infiniti G35x and my last car was a Stage 2 Legacy GT. Going from a turbocharged car to NA at my 4500ft elevation was not the best move from a 'fun' or tuning standpoint.

My questions are centered around how an A4 compares to other cars at higher elevation. As far as acceleration goes, how does an A4 (stock, Stage 1 or Stage 2) compare to something like a G37? I test drove a 2012 A4 and I loved almost everything about it but couldn't stand to pick something up that's slower than a V6 Accord or Camry or something, if that's the case.

Anyway, i'd appreciate any input you can provide. Thanks in advance!
If you get the 2.0T then the turbo will make up for the altitude.

The 3.0 is a supercharged engine and will also make up for the altitude.

This is not true for a 3.2 v6 as it is NA.

Hope that helps
Old 11-11-2014, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Reggie
If you get the 2.0T then the turbo will make up for the altitude.

The 3.0 is a supercharged engine and will also make up for the altitude.

This is not true for a 3.2 v6 as it is NA.

Hope that helps
Reggie, isn't it correct that a supercharged engine doesn't provide much of a power loss compensation at altitude as would a turbocharger?
Old 11-11-2014, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Reggie, isn't it correct that a supercharged engine doesn't provide much of a power loss compensation at altitude as would a turbocharger?
I have not heard that.

I did a google search and found this: What is the difference between a turbocharger and a supercharger on a car\'s engine? - HowStuffWorks

I suspect it may be a statement made by people who like the kick one gets from a turbo charger vs the smooth power a s/c provides - which is always a seat of the pants feeling vs real statistics. S/C were used on lots of military aircraft for high altitude flying.