What kind of markups does your Indy charge on parts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 12:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What kind of markups does your Indy charge on parts?

Took my allroad into my local Indy. (same place that did the front shocks and air springs)

Suspension air pump is having some problems, but I'm asking for the whole system to be diagnosed.

They pull the VAG code and it only gives them 'can't reach ride height'

They test the pump and it isn't producing the right amount of pressure.
Not sure if they did anything else because the write up reads "need to fix pump to check for leaks"

I would expect a good shop to pressurize the system and check for leaks so they don't burn out a new pump. This shop knows that I do a lot of my own work and use them equally for diagnosis or full repairs so they know what I'm asking for when I'm paying for diagnosis. They also have a warranty on the front springs, so I at the very least expect them to check those for leaks.

This is somewhat dissappointing, but I kind of understand, their typ. procedure would be to fix the pump and then look for more problems.

What is really dissapointing is that they want me to pay 650.00 for a new aftermarket pump. Anyone with an allroad and less money than God knows that these are 375.00. (285 if you are smart and buy the Mercedes version with a 10% discount code)

Is this a standard markup? Or is this Indy just under the false impression that they can charge rates similar to the dealer and customers won't question them.

Now, I never had any intention of having them replace the pump, which is why I pay up front for diagnosis. But this kind of half hearted diagnosis and over the top markup makes me very hesistant about returning to this shop. Which is too bad because they are nice guys and are very close to my house.

Anyways, I'm of course open to recommendations for other Independent shops in Central Denver.

(I've also noticed similar markups when I've received estimates on things like turbo drain lines etc...)
Old 03-04-2012, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

What shop did you use? There are a ton of indy shops in Denver.

I use SCR in Loveland since I am in FTC. But they do not mark up the parts,
Old 03-05-2012, 05:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Warranty?

Well, I'm not going to flame them by name because they do offer a pretty nice warranty on parts and labor.

3yrs/36k parts and labor on all work. So I can understand some of the markup is them protecting themselves.

That and they are nice guys and super convenient and I know they probably post here so I'm not going to burn any bridges without confronting them personally. I reserve that kind of treatment for people that really work me over and that I will never work with again and don't want anyone else to be victimized by either. This is not that kind of category of problem at all.

Just wanted to get some feedback from other locals on what I should be expecting. The best way is obviously to shop my work around and see what I get, but I want to narrow the list a bit before wasting peoples time giving me quotes I'm not going to give them work on.

I've heard 303 is good but expensive. Champagne is good but they are kind of far south for me. Someone mentioned a David or Davidson that used to work for 303? But can't seem to look them up online.

Does SCR not markup parts and give you a warranty? Want to compare apples to apples.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by sketch44
Well, I'm not going to flame them by name because they do offer a pretty nice warranty on parts and labor.

3yrs/36k parts and labor on all work. So I can understand some of the markup is them protecting themselves.

That and they are nice guys and super convenient and I know they probably post here so I'm not going to burn any bridges without confronting them personally. I reserve that kind of treatment for people that really work me over and that I will never work with again and don't want anyone else to be victimized by either. This is not that kind of category of problem at all.

Just wanted to get some feedback from other locals on what I should be expecting. The best way is obviously to shop my work around and see what I get, but I want to narrow the list a bit before wasting peoples time giving me quotes I'm not going to give them work on.

I've heard 303 is good but expensive. Champagne is good but they are kind of far south for me. Someone mentioned a David or Davidson that used to work for 303? But can't seem to look them up online.

Does SCR not markup parts and give you a warranty? Want to compare apples to apples.
That is correct SCR does not mark up (at least not when I was working there)

303 is one of the better places. Prestige is the best Audi dealership - non of the others have a favorable name.,

Other good shops in Denver that have good names are:

Avalon or AutosportWerks

I hope one of them is not the one who did you in. PM me the name if you don't mind.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default 5280 Motorsports

Called Storz, another German mechanic a friend uses, they don't do Audi's, but he recommended Scotty at Midtown to me.

Called the number he gave me and talked to Jeremiah. He didn't know jack about Audi's. (So don't talk to him) Quoted me 1050.00for an airpump for my allroad and when I asked him what kind of airbags he puts on other allroads he said Dealer OEM. Epic Fail!

Told him about Arnott and that he was doing his clients a big disservice if he didn't look it up.

Called Storz back and told him what happened (don't want him recommending these guys) he said...yeah...Jeremiah is a Ford guy but I don't have Scotty's direct line...so Storz recommended 5280. (If anyone bothers checking out Midtown, make sure you talk to Scotty I guess.)

Called 5280 they said, let's look up the pricing on Arnott right away. =) Owner said, go buy the part and we'll put it in for you. 1.5hours 95/hr.

So unless someone has something poor to say about 5280, over the phone they sound like a place worth checking out. 303 862 6908 I obviously haven't had any work done there yet, but they sound like they have the right attitude and know Audi allroads well enough to know Arnott.