Go Back  AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi A6 / S6 / RS 6 > RS 6 Discussion
Reload this Page >

2020 Audi RS6 Avant - US bound?!?!

RS 6 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi RS 6

2020 Audi RS6 Avant - US bound?!?!

Old 02-03-2019, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

^^

That photo is a C7 RS6, which was withdrawn from sale in Germany around June last year.

Along with every other RS and S vehicle. So what is happening in Germany is an unmitigated disaster. Was that your point?

The RS Q8 is further along development than the C8 RS6, and seems a more logical choice for the North American market.
Old 02-03-2019, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

^^No point... Except to keep the eye on the prize.

Looks like some flavor of RS6 will be out by end of year. It pains me to hear about RS'ing SUVs. And, it pains me to see Audi in such a mess.
Old 02-03-2019, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

^^

Me too, sad. Only upside, the RS Q8 sounded amazing on the Nurburgring.

Yes, late this year still the expected date for RS7 and the RS6.
Old 02-03-2019, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Glisse View Post
Only upside, the RS Q8 sounded amazing on the Nurburgring
I'm in Oregon, USA... So, excuse me. But I a quite unimpressed with the fuel economy in my loaner Q7 I have been driving. (~21 mpg USA)... I hear the regular Q8 is worse. And then throw an RS engine in it?!?! Just to drop a couple of hundredths on the 0-60 when getting the kids from soccer practice? I just don't get it. Shaking my head.

Of course... I'd make all kinds of excuses why that wouldn't matter for an RS4 or RS6 Avant. :-)

Or the RS5 SB I am hoping to pull the trigger on this spring.

Last edited by BlackOptic; 02-03-2019 at 10:57 AM.
Old 02-03-2019, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by BlackOptic View Post
I'm in Oregon, USA... So, excuse me. But I a quite unimpressed with the fuel economy in my loaner Q7 I have been driving. (~21 mpg USA)... I hear the regular Q8 is worse. And then throw an RS engine in it?!?! Just to drop a couple of hundredths on the 0-60 when getting the kids from soccer practice? I just don't get it. Shaking my head.

Of course... I'd make all kinds of excuses why that wouldn't matter for an RS4 or RS6 Avant. :-)

The Q7 being sold in the US at the moment is using the old supercharged engine. Which haven't been in production for a year and a half - they must be using crated engines for North American vehicles. The supercharged engine uses more fuel in lighter engine loads (eg highway use), less fuel in urban cycle. The new EA838 turbocharged engine, as fitted in the Q8 sold in North America, is the other way around.

The RS Q8 will have a 0-60mph time of low to mid 3 seconds, so not a couple of hundredths off a Q8

But I am not an SUV person, I intensely dislike the higher centre of gravity, not matter what trick chassis and suspension bits are added. Unfortunately, most of the world prefer higher seating positions for a variety of reasons.

Point being made was the RS7 and RS6 will have massive performance, and an improved soundtrack over the C7 versions, so all is not lost. Yet.
Old 02-09-2019, 04:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I hope that the RS makes its way to the US. But my hopes have been dashed on prior rumors, so while I am hopeful, I am not optimistic
Old 02-09-2019, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

What SUV of it's size does better in fuel? It's still a 4800lb vehicle at the end of the day

Old 02-09-2019, 02:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

...No, no... Don’t get me wrong, I love the Q8. If I were in a point of my life to replace the Q7, it would be the Q8.

My objection is turning Q cars into race cars.
Old 02-09-2019, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

...No, no... Don’t get me wrong, I love the Q8. If I were in a point of my life to replace the Q7, it would be the Q8.

My objection is turning Q cars into race cars.
the purist in me understands...it's like a giant "what for?" And yep you're right, from a "why" standpoint, an RS6 makes about as much 'sense' - it goes to 11, it has lineage, and it's rare...that's why we want it. SUV's don't do that for me, but I guess for some, they can instill that same level of want?

At the same time, SUV"s are huge business. Not only are they profitable, but, they arguably can help a company foster more brand loyalty. Look what a Cayenne did for Porsche after all. The brands know that in a typical family, there is a good chance there will be an SUV - why not make it one of theirs? A lot of us get cars that far outpace what one can do on the street. But we get 'em, often because "it's nice to know it's there",, even we aren't pushing it 10/10ths through our daily commute, and the car won't see a track day. A performance oriented SUV is sort of in that vein, to me at least. I have no use for one in my life, but the big thing with the new ones vs the older gen, they drive more and more like cars, just with greater utility in terms of space, comfort, etc. I was reminded of this while watching the Uras on The Grand Tour last night - the one part of me says, this thing makes NO sense at all. Who needs this? And then the other part says "the person who already bought an Aventador, or Hurracan...maybe he needs a daily...maybe their spouse needs something to fit passengers. They are going to buy something....the income is there to make that whatever they want, why not give them a product to propel the brand. Just my .02c
Old 02-22-2019, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

I heard RS6 Avant 2020 model year in the US. Maybe Audi has realized that soccer mom cars are fading. And Europeans aren’t dumb enough to want SUVs. They’ll be back, just like roadsters were when the Miata showed up 30 years ago. Why should Mercedes own the market with the E450 wagon and AMG E63? If they still had the S6 Avant in 2013, I wouldn’t have bought the sedan and sold it 3 years later. And i’ll drop the SQ5 like a hot potato for an Avant.

Although for those who know, how would an RS6 differ from an S6? When I bought the S6 in 2013 the RS5 seemed like it was more sport and less luxury features. Like an upscale sound system and other comfort oriented stuff, or things like color choices. Although I did quite like the grill they came with.

Last edited by jascooper; 02-22-2019 at 06:46 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2020 Audi RS6 Avant - US bound?!?!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: