RS 6 Discussion (C5) Discussion forum for the Audi RS 6 C5 platform

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Follow up on DRC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For those that doubt him . . . .

I just spoke with Rob the attorney. He alone seems sincere enough and seems to have made some headway with Audi. As we were speaking, the VP called and I listened in on the conversation. Not a very meaningful one but the point is she had promised him she'd call and she did, and according to him she has done so every other time.

I'll let him break any additional news,just thought others that had been doubtful (self included) might benefit from another data point. I can certainly be fooled, but not easily, and the guy seems to have made some headway. Can't see what the harm would be in flooding him with real data to overwhelm Audi with facts.

By the way, according to her, official number of RS6's retailed in the US - 986.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

good to know the real number of cars here. I hope it works...my details being emailed soon.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:10 PM
SAF
AudiWorld Senior Member

Big question is, out of those 986, how many had DRCs fail?
Old 01-21-2009, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Well, they did a poll on RS246 and it showed over 75% had DRC issues.

I have met many RS6 owners and can tell you that there is only one fellow who ordered his car in advance and got it earlier than most, who has not suffered DRC failure yet.
Otherwise, every RS6-er I meet has had this or tranny troubles or Both!!
Old 01-21-2009, 04:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default If you think about it. Audi is having record car sales and spending....

more and more money on ad space. A target has been placed on USA to gain market share as some of the other marks suffer.

I wonder if there has been some talk about the 986 RS6 owners that keep raising this stink about DRC and now the RS4 owners that are raising a stink. Not a good situation for a car maker looking to gain market share in one of the biggest markets around the world.

Hell, Audi even has ad space during the Superbowl.

I could be all wet but if the Germans want market share it may be better to just fix the cars that are giving them all this negative talk and pr. Its only 986 cars and how many do you think will actually see this? Maybe 200 at the most. Compare 200 fixed DRCs to the cost of one 30sec ad on the Superbowl.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Same here...and i know or have known 8 owners in my area.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:29 PM

Default RS6 DRC Issues

Okay, my RS6 suffers form DRC-related issues. While I didn't know what that meant for several months, I sure did know that my car didn't handle correctly.

I first noticed the clunking in all four corners, next by the oversteering and crabbing of the car in certain turns and/or bumps at moderate speeds (45 to 70mph).

As a result, I like many paid over $4K to have bushings, tie rods, shocks, etc. replaced. I had this done last March '08, about a month after I purchased the car. Since having this work done, it has continued to be a rattle trap and oversteer/crab. I've had the car back to TWO audi dealers and two other performance shops......what a waste of time.

My guess is the work lasted at most a few days before it wasn't working correctly, just that since Audi NA nor it's dealers knew how to diagnose the issue (or weren't up to discussing it), this lame situation propogated. I was and have been just another frustrated RS6 owner.

As many RS6 owners now know, AUDI NA has officially sent out notices in Late February/Early March for this DRC issue, with a fix slated for August/September '09. I have a copy I can send out if you tell me you want it. There's also a provision to claim prior work for reimbursement. This information litteraly came to my door about a week AFTER I took in my car to have the system looked at again, and one month later, my RS6 is still in the shop waiting for a special AUDI pressure tool that is to arrive any moment now. Lame as it is, the first pressure tool was defective, so my car sits waiting for the part (and I call daily, to the shop and Audi NA).

As of now, Audi NA has authorized new set of shocks (some improved version) but w/out replacing the central valves and without the upcoming recall campaign DRC fix. While they are picking up the tab, I told Audi NA this was a waste of time and money: 1)Since I think the issue is more than just replacing a few shocks, so that I'd for sure be back again when this 2nd fix is failing, 2)Since if they just replaced it with dumb shocks, I'd be happy and go away.

It will be very interesting what happens when the new fix comes out and how Audi NA sets-up to approve and schedule the cars in. I'm sure many are out there like me, either having JUST finished repair work, or like I've seen on other posts, had after-market parts put on to get away from a massive headache and an unsafe vehicle.

I also explained to Audi NA in writing that I'm pretty sure this car would flat-out wreck at performance speeds (70 to 150mph, typical track speeds), given the certain conditions I've experienced first hand, and why it's the only sedan I've owned in 20 years that I haven't taken to the track. I can say after being a high performance track instructor for about 10 years, that I've never been in or driven a car that had unintended handling traits like this car. This includes an impressive list of Ferrari, Porsche, Audi, BMW, Acura, Viper, etc. cars.

I've seen a few posts about an attorney looking at this, and will keep reading if this person has a contact name and phone number. I don't know if my efforts to communicate with Audi NA have helped or hurt this overall cause, but I'd be happy to get educated. I would bet at least one car has crashed due to oversteering effects that the other stability systems couldn't compensate for.

I would also bet that many other parts of the RS6s out there have also failed due to suspension and related failures. For one, my car also inexplicabley experience a GAS TANK LEAK. I took this to a dealer and was going to be an expense on my dime, until a week later, Audi NA indicated it was a repair they would cover in full.

As of now, and within two weeks, virtually all of the RS6 recall team knows me by first name....I'd have to imagine if we all called to moan and groan, they'd act just to save themselves the call center support bills. If you don't have the number, it's 866-892-2843 (greeting sais A8/R8 owners...).

If this issues propogates directly into the same problems with the RS4, Audi is going to be hit with a Tsunami of problems they won't soon forget.

Sincerely,

brett ('01 S4 Sport, '03 RS6, '92 BMW 325i pumped sorted track-prepared)

P.S: I'm a new member, so excuse my ignorance of how this works. If this thread has now gone elsewhere, please clue me in
Old 03-30-2009, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Brett,

Sorry to hear about your problems. Your situation is typical as it relates to DRC failures and the local Audi dealers response to the said problem.

A couple of notes.

1. The Service campaign WILL replace both central valves the first time out.
2. You should get full refunds for any out of pocket Audi repairs.

Do some searching here and over on RS6.com. There are a ton of DRC threads over there.

Again, sorry for your problems. When the system is working....its awesome.

Dave

Originally Posted by bphouston
Okay, my RS6 suffers form DRC-related issues. While I didn't know what that meant for several months, I sure did know that my car didn't handle correctly.

I first noticed the clunking in all four corners, next by the oversteering and crabbing of the car in certain turns and/or bumps at moderate speeds (45 to 70mph).

As a result, I like many paid over $4K to have bushings, tie rods, shocks, etc. replaced. I had this done last March '08, about a month after I purchased the car. Since having this work done, it has continued to be a rattle trap and oversteer/crab. I've had the car back to TWO audi dealers and two other performance shops......what a waste of time.

My guess is the work lasted at most a few days before it wasn't working correctly, just that since Audi NA nor it's dealers knew how to diagnose the issue (or weren't up to discussing it), this lame situation propogated. I was and have been just another frustrated RS6 owner.

As many RS6 owners now know, AUDI NA has officially sent out notices in Late February/Early March for this DRC issue, with a fix slated for August/September '09. I have a copy I can send out if you tell me you want it. There's also a provision to claim prior work for reimbursement. This information litteraly came to my door about a week AFTER I took in my car to have the system looked at again, and one month later, my RS6 is still in the shop waiting for a special AUDI pressure tool that is to arrive any moment now. Lame as it is, the first pressure tool was defective, so my car sits waiting for the part (and I call daily, to the shop and Audi NA).

As of now, Audi NA has authorized new set of shocks (some improved version) but w/out replacing the central valves and without the upcoming recall campaign DRC fix. While they are picking up the tab, I told Audi NA this was a waste of time and money: 1)Since I think the issue is more than just replacing a few shocks, so that I'd for sure be back again when this 2nd fix is failing, 2)Since if they just replaced it with dumb shocks, I'd be happy and go away.

It will be very interesting what happens when the new fix comes out and how Audi NA sets-up to approve and schedule the cars in. I'm sure many are out there like me, either having JUST finished repair work, or like I've seen on other posts, had after-market parts put on to get away from a massive headache and an unsafe vehicle.

I also explained to Audi NA in writing that I'm pretty sure this car would flat-out wreck at performance speeds (70 to 150mph, typical track speeds), given the certain conditions I've experienced first hand, and why it's the only sedan I've owned in 20 years that I haven't taken to the track. I can say after being a high performance track instructor for about 10 years, that I've never been in or driven a car that had unintended handling traits like this car. This includes an impressive list of Ferrari, Porsche, Audi, BMW, Acura, Viper, etc. cars.

I've seen a few posts about an attorney looking at this, and will keep reading if this person has a contact name and phone number. I don't know if my efforts to communicate with Audi NA have helped or hurt this overall cause, but I'd be happy to get educated. I would bet at least one car has crashed due to oversteering effects that the other stability systems couldn't compensate for.

I would also bet that many other parts of the RS6s out there have also failed due to suspension and related failures. For one, my car also inexplicabley experience a GAS TANK LEAK. I took this to a dealer and was going to be an expense on my dime, until a week later, Audi NA indicated it was a repair they would cover in full.

As of now, and within two weeks, virtually all of the RS6 recall team knows me by first name....I'd have to imagine if we all called to moan and groan, they'd act just to save themselves the call center support bills. If you don't have the number, it's 866-892-2843 (greeting sais A8/R8 owners...).

If this issues propogates directly into the same problems with the RS4, Audi is going to be hit with a Tsunami of problems they won't soon forget.

Sincerely,

brett ('01 S4 Sport, '03 RS6, '92 BMW 325i pumped sorted track-prepared)

P.S: I'm a new member, so excuse my ignorance of how this works. If this thread has now gone elsewhere, please clue me in
Old 04-01-2009, 03:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

It is today...
Old 04-01-2009, 11:15 AM

Thank you for the empathy Dave!

I posted in another thread ( DRC repairs USA update..) that I'm picking up my car today/tomorrow wtih the best avaiable shocks (pre-recall fix). Reimbursement situation is in the works (I filed the claim two weeks ago), with Audi NA to get back to me by this Friday...

Quick Reply: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Follow up on DRC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!