RS 7 Discussion forum for the Audi RS 7

Did you consider a Panamera Turbo before your RS7 purchase?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 10:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did you consider a Panamera Turbo before your RS7 purchase?

Hi, fellow RS7 owners. I currently own a C7 A7, with a Unitronic Stage 2+ tune, and a couple of other mods.

I have been thinking of upgrading to a RS7, but a couple of Porsche dealers around my way have a few CPO, Panamera Turbos for sale around the $70-75K mark, with low miles. Finding a CPO RS7 is impossible to find, and with the excellent pricing on the CPO Panamera
turbos, I am leaning more towards this route.

How many of you guys considered buying a new or CPO Panamera Turbo, before buying the RS7?

I know the looks on the Panamera are subjective, but the interior is far ahead of the RS7. Please let me know your thoughts. Thank you!
Old 10-06-2015, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

yes i did, but it's too ugly for my taste and good luck finding someone to buy it off you when the time comes.

also, consider the fact that you can't find a CPO RS7, that should tell you something.
Old 10-06-2015, 04:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by CanuckRS4
yes i did, but it's too ugly for my taste and good luck finding someone to buy it off you when the time comes.

also, consider the fact that you can't find a CPO RS7, that should tell you something.
Point well made sir!
Old 10-07-2015, 01:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

sorry, but what means CPO ?
Old 10-07-2015, 01:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 81 Posts

CPO = Certified Pre-Owned.

I have been looking for my next car, I have thought about a Panamera. However, doing the math it just doesn't make any sense.

As an example; If I configure a Panamera GTS(440 BHP, 385 lb-ft) the way I would want it, it comes to about $135,000 MSRP. An S7 (450 BHP, 406 lb-ft) the way I want it is about $92,000. With the difference I could buy a Boxster S.

Another; If I configure a Panamera Turbo S (570 BHP, 553 lb-ft) it gets to $191,890 while an RS7 (560 BHP, 516 lb-ft) is $115,325. That is almost enough left over for a 911!

Last edited by 19hole; 10-15-2015 at 02:21 AM.
Old 10-14-2015, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 19hole
CPO = Certified Pre-Owned.
Thank You.

Regarding considering Panamera Turbo before your RS7 purchase ..... I think Panamera is competitor for S8, not RS7 ......
I was looking to RS7, then S8 D4 but ended up with Panamera Turbo S ...
Old 11-06-2015, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Panamera

Originally Posted by exotich
Point well made sir!
Couldn't agree more, my boss has a Panamera Turbo which he thinks is so nice, but I know he prefers my RS7!
Old 11-07-2015, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I am right now - sorta.... We are on our second A7 (MY12 and MY15) and in 2013 we also purchased a 911 (991). Bit of a mid-life crisis, but the car is a hoot. When the RS7 Performance (plus) was announced for the US I contacted my dealer to keep me posted on pricing and availability. The goal being to replace both cars and downsize to a single auto.

I'd done a number of Porsche driving experiences that included the Panamera GTS and we've also done driving/racing school in Sonoma with Audi and the S7/S8. Both included track and road going time.

On the track the Panamera GTS is an amazing car. If not for the size of the cabin you'd swear it was a 911. No sense of weight, little body roll and you feel completely connected with the car. The S7 and S8 were little more porky. Great grunt from the engine, but in the corners you could feel the weight and brake fade was a problem after a few laps.

However, for me performance on the track is not what these cars are meant for. Putting aside that the Panamera is butt-ugly, it does command a presence. On the road its well mannered, but stiffly sprung (this was the GTS model). The cabin is well appointed (I think better than the Audis).

The S7/S8 were more enjoyable than the Panamera on the road. Bit more compliant suspension for rough pavement, better integration of electronics and car, better engine and not butt-ugly. Spending time in the Audi is easier than the Panamera.

For us its down to a Panamera GTS or an RS7 Performance if we go through with the swap. Buying new the Panamera Turbo is to pricey. The RS7 wins this for 3 reasons

1) Reliability and dealership. Our 911 while fun has not been very reliable. Dealer support is not close by (no Porsche dealer in city of Chicago) and not very good. Our Audi dealer is 4 miles away and they are fantastic (Fletcher Jones)

2) That amazing engine. While I haven't driven the RS7, the S8 was so much fun. easy to drive fast, but also easy to sit in stop and go traffic. PDK gearbox on the Porsche is jerky and not good in stop and go.

3) Honestly... I don't think I could walk up to my Panamera in the parking lot and not think how ugly this car is. Also with our 911 it gets a lot of attention and I think with the RS7 I can be a bit more blended into the background.

We will see how this works out. Goal would be delivery next year and we'd also do Euro delivery again.
Old 11-07-2015, 12:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by chicagoA6
I am right now - sorta.... We are on our second A7 (MY12 and MY15) and in 2013 we also purchased a 911 (991). Bit of a mid-life crisis, but the car is a hoot. When the RS7 Performance (plus) was announced for the US I contacted my dealer to keep me posted on pricing and availability. The goal being to replace both cars and downsize to a single auto.

I'd done a number of Porsche driving experiences that included the Panamera GTS and we've also done driving/racing school in Sonoma with Audi and the S7/S8. Both included track and road going time.

On the track the Panamera GTS is an amazing car. If not for the size of the cabin you'd swear it was a 911. No sense of weight, little body roll and you feel completely connected with the car. The S7 and S8 were little more porky. Great grunt from the engine, but in the corners you could feel the weight and brake fade was a problem after a few laps.

However, for me performance on the track is not what these cars are meant for. Putting aside that the Panamera is butt-ugly, it does command a presence. On the road its well mannered, but stiffly sprung (this was the GTS model). The cabin is well appointed (I think better than the Audis).

The S7/S8 were more enjoyable than the Panamera on the road. Bit more compliant suspension for rough pavement, better integration of electronics and car, better engine and not butt-ugly. Spending time in the Audi is easier than the Panamera.

For us its down to a Panamera GTS or an RS7 Performance if we go through with the swap. Buying new the Panamera Turbo is to pricey. The RS7 wins this for 3 reasons

1) Reliability and dealership. Our 911 while fun has not been very reliable. Dealer support is not close by (no Porsche dealer in city of Chicago) and not very good. Our Audi dealer is 4 miles away and they are fantastic (Fletcher Jones)

2) That amazing engine. While I haven't driven the RS7, the S8 was so much fun. easy to drive fast, but also easy to sit in stop and go traffic. PDK gearbox on the Porsche is jerky and not good in stop and go.

3) Honestly... I don't think I could walk up to my Panamera in the parking lot and not think how ugly this car is. Also with our 911 it gets a lot of attention and I think with the RS7 I can be a bit more blended into the background.

We will see how this works out. Goal would be delivery next year and we'd also do Euro delivery again.
Thank you, for the great reply. I haven't driven the S8, but will check it out if one is available at one of my local Audi dealers. None of the dealers around my area have an RS7, for me to look at or test drive. I have driven the Panamera Turbo, while it looks ugly on paper, with the right color and wheels it looks really good in person.

Here is the one I recently test drove:

Old 12-15-2015, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I just bought my RS7 last month and I drove it back to back with a Panny GTS and a Turbo. I think you should do the same thing or you'll always wonder. Obviously, for me, the RS7 won.

Its not that the Porsche didn't have a lot to say...it did! But I think that, if you are an RS7 customer, you'll be more attracted to the GTS than the Turbo. Its a more visceral car and frankly has many more options than the more expensive Turbo. The GTS is more torquey and more fun to drive in most situations. But, unfortunately, it is underpowered and you really feel that when you hammer it on the highway -- you have to be in the right gear. On the other hand, the Turbo isn't as torquey and not visceral. It doesn't come alive until you're over 80mph on the highway.

The RS7 gives you the best of both worlds and, in my opinion, is a much more attractive car.

The one con is that the RS7 looks a lot like other Audis -- and around Boston that's every other car! -- while the Porsche looks like a unique sports car.

Quick Reply: Did you consider a Panamera Turbo before your RS7 purchase?