RS 7 Discussion forum for the Audi RS 7

Harmonic resonance?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Harmonic resonance?

Hi - first post... (sorry for the length)

I picked up my 2016 Sepang Blue w grey interior RS7 in June. Before ordering the car, I was able to take a long (40+ miles) test drive in the dealer's demo unit.

After being blown away by the performance and handling (and that sound!), I began to notice a harmonic resonance at various speeds. The sound is like someone blowing over a part-full Coke bottle. It became more noticeable the more I became aware of it and when I returned to the dealer, I raised my concern and the salesman took a test ride with me and he also heard the noise. When we returned, I told them I was ready to order as long as this was just an anomaly with this one car.

They offered to let me take the car off the showroom floor for another ride (which was very generous), but I opted not to as big storms were in the area and I suspected it would be hard to hear on the pouring rain.

So I put the order on hold pending a resolution. This was back in March and I was leaving for vacation and I followed up on phone. The salesman informed me that the car I drove had a broken belt in the left front tire and it had been replaced by the service dept and the problem had been fixed. I asked him to send me a copy of the service ticket to confirm that that had been the fix. He claimed that they don't issue service tickets for in-house repairs (red flag) but I could speak to the service manager. I talked to the service manager who assured me the problem was just that car and that it was fixed and gave me his personal cell # in case I had other questions.

At this point, I went ahead and ordered the car. Fast forward to June when I picked up the car and headed home. I got less than three miles from the dealership before the SAME NOISE started up! I called from the car and expressed my shock but didn't have the time to turn around and bring it back. The sales guy assured me that they would fix whatever the problem was. I was skeptical but still in love with my new car so I just drove it faster so not to hear the noise.

The dealer and Audi were great. We researched tires and they replaced the stock HiPerf Michelin summer tires with HiPerf All Season Continentals (20"). These new tires rode better and were quieter and smoother for sure. The only problem is that the resonance did not go away.

So when I had time, I brought it back for an overnight service call so a tech could take it home and try to resolve the issue. (side note - the 2017 Q7 they gave me as a loaner was a wonderful car!).

When I called the next day to see if it was ready, the service writer explained that there was no problem found. Not what I was hoping to hear...

So I took the tech for a ride and was able to reproduce the noise. He explained to me that that is a result of the very stiff chassis. He also said they had another RS7 in for service that day (for a different issue) and that it had the same noise.

All of this is a long way of asking the community here if anyone else has noticed this? (sorry again for the long post) Or is it possible that the only cars that have this issue came from one dealership? Or I am too demanding?

I love this car! But I fear I am going to be living with this like dating a supermodel only to find out she has horrible gas problems!!

Any input would be helpful.

Thanks.

GW
Old 07-21-2016, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the US, and I'm on my second RS7, first being a '14 with 20" P-zero summer tires, and the second a '16 Performance w/ 21" Dunlop Sportmaxx summers. I've never noticed any resonances, but I am a bit of a lead-foot and tend to cruse at 10-15 above the speed limit.

It might help if you described the resonance in more detail .. speed, rpm, mode (dynamic/comfort/etc), climate, road conditions, etc. I've been on roads that hum at certain speeds.
Old 07-21-2016, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

First off, the C7 chassis does seem to transfer a lot of road/tire noise. In addition, I think the amount of noise depends on the quality of road you are driving on. I live in the Pacific Northwest and some of our freeways are basically river rock mixed with concrete and produce an unbelievable amount of road/tire noise. But I will say that it definitely insulates well against outside noises, such as other cars or trucks.

Then there are some parts of the country where all of the highways are fresh asphalt and a beater will be quieter than an RS7 on our roads. Considering how much this car costs, I was surprised at how much road noise is transmitted through the car.
Old 07-21-2016, 04:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have the lowly S7. There is noise from the rear of the car. I think they missed something with insulation in the back. However, it is nothing disturbing and only noticeable with the radio off. The car is heavy and I think this is where they chose to save weight. Just a thought they may or not be related to what you are hearing.
Old 07-21-2016, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The noise has a variety of possible sources...

… the easiest to test and potentially cure would be tire noise. I would try adjusting pressures and continuing to heat-cycle the tires. They should both sound and feel different after 500+ miles. In my experience with my RS5, the three sets of tires that I have gone through in the first 22K have sounded and felt quite different until heat-cycled and broken in. Given the section width and the low profiles of the RS7 OEM rubber, this would not surprise me. Extremely low profile tires are unforgiving as far as noise and if the alignment settings are very aggressive, it only adds to the cacophony.

Enjoy your new car as it is at the top of the heap in its class.

Eric
Old 07-21-2016, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Just trying to help narrow the problem. Is it possible that it's on certain roads? I know of a few roads in my area that sound crazy whenever I drive on them.
Old 07-22-2016, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all the replies.

Here are some more details:

The noise happens particularly at 30MPH. Very noticeable. It shows up again (much less) around 40 and then goes away until around 60. It sings its song again from 60-70 depending on pavement conditions. After 70, there are no songs. (at least to 110 ;-)

My car is on 20" wheels (intentionally to improve ride quality and reduce pothole damage). Tire pressure is set at factory specs but I have tried higher and lower pressures. And the Continental tires are the top rated for noise and ride quality (Tire Rack).

Pavement does make a difference, but not like you would think. Rough and older pavement can bring on the noise, but perfect, new pavement makes the car so quiet that the noise at 30 comes through loud and clear. It comes clearly from the front of the car with a concentration on the left side. I have tried taping off parts of the lower left grill but that has no effect.

Most of my driving is highway at speeds above 70 for sure. And this may be something that I am just going to have to ignore and focus on how much fun this car is to drive and look at.

Thanks again for all your input.

GW
Old 07-22-2016, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Well sorry to hear that man...that is very frustrating for a brand new car. Other things to consider would be a CV joint, but that would be very unusual for a brand new car.

Like Eric said, perhaps it may improve as you get more mileage on the tires.
Old 07-22-2016, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

So if it's based on speed, is the sound a rotational issue? Does it get slightly faster or slower depending on speed? I've had something like that when one of my calipers got sticky... but obviously it can't be that. Maybe there is some subtle "newness" rubbing off?
Old 07-22-2016, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have the same issues here in Toronto and they are really dependent on the road surface and speed. I find the worst noise is on very newly paved portions of the 401 (main east west highway in Ontario) between 110 and 125 km/hr and of course on the 407 which is grooved concrete. It is most definitely tire noise as my summers 295/25/21 Michelin PSS are much worse than my winter Dunlops. I just hammer the throttle or turn up the stereo!!

Quick Reply: Harmonic resonance?