RS 7 Discussion forum for the Audi RS 7

RS5 to RS7

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS5 to RS7

Does anyone have any feedback on their experience moving from the RS5 to the RS7? Satisfied with the change? Is there another car you prefer you got instead of the RS7? Any feedback would be appreciated.
Old 04-30-2016, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by nyc1212
Does anyone have any feedback on their experience moving from the RS5 to the RS7? Satisfied with the change? Is there another car you prefer you got instead of the RS7? Any feedback would be appreciated.
I've never owned an RS5 (have previously owned 2 B7RS4s so i am very familiar with that engine) but i recently went from a TT/RS to an RS7. The RS7 is an awesome vehicle, haven't looked back once with regret. The RS4 was very special for it's time, i loved it and still miss it a bit but not compared to the RS7. The RS7 is superior in every way imo.

The RS7 is basically much more practical with 4 doors and a hatch. It's also, more importantly, WAAAAY faster. No comparison really between the two.

This pretty much sums up WOT on an RS7...

Last edited by CanuckRS4; 05-01-2016 at 02:28 PM.
Old 05-01-2016, 07:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've had both an RS4 and RS5 and just traded up to a 2016 RS7. I've only had the car a couple of weeks but I'm thrilled...... it's just a different animal. The RS7 feels and looks like it deserves its price tag.
Old 05-01-2016, 05:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

I'll chime in as somebody who doesn't own an RS7, but an RS5 and has considered the RS7 as well as the S6/7. BTW, the RS5 engine is not the same engine as in the B7 RS4. The RS5 engine is newly developed and is basically a smaller version of the 5.2 V10. It makes more power and peak torque comes in at much lower rpm.

The RS7 is a straight line rocket. The perfect weapon to assault the German Autobahn with your family in tow, but a bit out of its element on the mundane US "Autobahn". If you've extensively driven on the German Autobahn, like I have, you'd probably understand where I'm coming from. To me the RS7 is too big and not at home on the twisties as much as it is on the Autobahn. The S6/7 and RS7 are all faster in a straight line than the RS5, but the RS5 is much more fun in the canyons and on the track.

So, it comes down to what you are looking for in a car and what kind of driving you do. Fun driving to me is blasting through a deserted California canyon. Not something the larger RS7 does as eagerly as the RS5. I just couldn't get myself to spend $100k+ on a rocket like the RS7 and then be stuck doing 75 on the highway. You can do the same with an S6/7 for a lot less money. If you like the RS5, the next level up would be the R8. If you had a need for 4 doors, you wouldn't own an RS5 in the first place.

Last edited by superswiss; 05-01-2016 at 06:03 PM.
Old 05-01-2016, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

The difference is the RS7 is a rocket ship from a standstill where as the RS5 feels "slow" off the line because of the "low" torque figure.
Old 05-01-2016, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
The difference is the RS7 is a rocket ship from a standstill where as the RS5 feels "slow" off the line because of the "low" torque figure.
That is true. The RS5 has a Motorsport inspired engine and power curve, which I personally much prefer. If you want fast from a stop, that's what launch control is for. Drops the clutch at 5000 rpm and off it goes. I do not like turbo engines. Never did. The 0-5 mph lag, followed by a disproportional surge in power annoys me in daily driving. I much prefer the smooth liner behavior of the RS5 engine in daily driving. If I want power, I rev it, but otherwise the linear nature of the power delivery of the RS5 engine is much more comfortable in daily driving to me. Not to mention, I much prefer the connected drivetrain feel of a dual clutch transmission.

Last edited by superswiss; 05-01-2016 at 05:53 PM.
Old 05-01-2016, 09:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
I'll chime in as somebody who doesn't own an RS7, but an RS5 and has considered the RS7 as well as the S6/7. BTW, the RS5 engine is not the same engine as in the B7 RS4. The RS5 engine is newly developed and is basically a smaller version of the 5.2 V10. It makes more power and peak torque comes in at much lower rpm.
What i liked about the RS4 is what i disliked about it as well. You have to drive that high revving V8 above 4K rpm to have any fun at all because of the lack of torque in the low rpm range, same as in the RS5. If you do that, all is good. For driving around town it's not much fun at all and the RS5 feels a lot heavier than the RS4 which was a 4-door. To each his own, but frankly imo, the RS7 is the best of both worlds, tons of low end torque and loads of top end hp. That's what twin turbos gives you. Decide based on your life needs, if you want a super fast vehicle with loads of room, RS7. If you're just looking for a fun sporty 2-door, get the RS5, either is a great choice.

Last edited by CanuckRS4; 05-01-2016 at 09:28 PM.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by CanuckRS4
What i liked about the RS4 is what i disliked about it as well. You have to drive that high revving V8 above 4K rpm to have any fun at all because of the lack of torque in the low rpm range, same as in the RS5. If you do that, all is good. For driving around town it's not much fun at all and the RS5 feels a lot heavier than the RS4 which was a 4-door. To each his own, but frankly imo, the RS7 is the best of both worlds, tons of low end torque and loads of top end hp. That's what twin turbos gives you. Decide based on your life needs, if you want a super fast vehicle with loads of room, RS7. If you're just looking for a fun sporty 2-door, get the RS5, either is a great choice.
The twin turbos in this engine are the same size, one for each bank. The setup you are referring to is a small turbo for the low-end and a big turbo for the high-end. That's a different twin turbo setup than what the 4.0TT has.
Old 05-02-2016, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
The twin turbos in this engine are the same size, one for each bank. The setup you are referring to is a small turbo for the low-end and a big turbo for the high-end. That's a different twin turbo setup than what the 4.0TT has.
there was no reference to different sized turbos, please re-read again. if the op wants low end torque, don't get the RS5, that is all. if the op wants a high revving engine, rs5 is the best option. two very different vehicles.
Old 05-02-2016, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

there was no reference to different sized turbos, please re-read again.
Maybe I misunderstood. What you referred to as "...tons of low end torque and loads of top end hp. That's what twin turbos gives you...". My understanding is that's only true if you have a small turbo for the low-end and big turbo to make the power at the top-end. I could be wrong, though. I thought the purpose of the small twin-turbos inside the vee was to make them spin quickly and minimize turbo lag, not to make big power at the top-end.

if the op wants low end torque, don't get the RS5, that is all. if the op wants a high revving engine, rs5 is the best option. two very different vehicles.
Yep, that was the point of my very first post. I understand OP currently already has an RS5 and is considering moving to the RS7.

Last edited by superswiss; 05-02-2016 at 12:19 PM.

Quick Reply: RS5 to RS7