RS 7 Discussion forum for the Audi RS 7

RS7 Performance spare tire and other weird faqs

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS7 Performance spare tire and other weird faqs

I recently traded my '14 RS7 for a '16 RS7 Performance. I took my mods off the '14 (HRE P101 20x9's and a spare tire), hoping to use them on the
'16. Here's the results, along with a bonus faq:

Can the A7 spare be used on the RS7 Performance?

Yes -- It fits in the trunk just fine, and can be used to replace a rear flat tire. Mounting in the trunk is even easier than on the standard RS7 because you don't have to deal with the air suspension controller and tubing. Just follow the instructions here or here to fit the spare in the trunk.

HOWEVER... You can't use it to replace a front wheel flat. The calipers on the Performance are really fat, so the spare mounts too close to the outer side of the brake calipers. If you blow a sidewall in the front, you'll have to use the suicide jack twice (not fun) -- first swapping out a rear wheel with the spare, and then replacing the front flat with the rear wheel.

What's needed is a spacer and set of long bolts. Anything from 5mm to 20mm will work. Longer bolts are required to ensure you can get at least 5 full turns of thread engagement. Bolt length should be 30mm + the thickness of the spacer. In my case I used a Spulen 10mm (x 66.6mm Hub) spacer purchased on Amazon for $40. My local tire dealer gave me an old set of 40mm bolts.

Spacer on hub

Spare mounted

Plenty of space in the tire well for bolts and spacer

Can HRE 20" P-series wheels fit over the CC front brakes on the Performance?

No -- My 20" P101's with 20mm offset clear the high points of the calipers by less than 1mm. If the offset was the standard 30mm they would hit the calipers because the inner barrel of the HRE's is slightly tapered. (BTW - 20" Forgelines should work because the inner barrel steps out just inside the spokes instead of a smooth taper). My 20 HRE's are now for sale, and 21's are on order.

Can the HUD be seen with polarized sunglasses?

No -- Put those polarized Monster Dogs up on Ebay and spring for a pair of non-polarized Straight Jackets. You can dimmly see the mph with polarized glasses, but not the last-minute navigation stuff. It's in color and just doesn't make it through. I miss the non-glare feature of polorized, but the hud is too useful to lose.
Old 06-19-2016, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by RCCurtis

No -- My 20" P101's with 20mm offset clear the high points of the calipers by less than 1mm. If the offset was the standard 30mm they would hit the calipers because the inner barrel of the HRE's is slightly tapered. (BTW - 20" Forgelines should work because the inner barrel steps out just inside the spokes instead of a smooth taper). My 20 HRE's are now for sale, and 21's are on order.
Thanks for the update! I was just about to buy a set of used 20inch HREs that were on a non-Performance RS7 - but now I better back off and study it a bit more, since they may not fit.
Old 07-12-2016, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

RCCurtis,
Is the spare tire you are using off a RS7? Does the RS7 and the A7 use the same wheel (non performence)?
Thanks,
Nelson

UOTE=RCCurtis;24825699]I recently traded my '14 RS7 for a '16 RS7 Performance. I took my mods off the '14 (HRE P101 20x9's and a spare tire), hoping to use them on the
'16. Here's the results, along with a bonus faq:

Can the A7 spare be used on the RS7 Performance?

Yes -- It fits in the trunk just fine, and can be used to replace a rear flat tire. Mounting in the trunk is even easier than on the standard RS7 because you don't have to deal with the air suspension controller and tubing. Just follow the instructions here or here to fit the spare in the trunk.

HOWEVER... You can't use it to replace a front wheel flat. The calipers on the Performance are really fat, so the spare mounts too close to the outer side of the brake calipers. If you blow a sidewall in the front, you'll have to use the suicide jack twice (not fun) -- first swapping out a rear wheel with the spare, and then replacing the front flat with the rear wheel.

What's needed is a spacer and set of long bolts. Anything from 5mm to 20mm will work. Longer bolts are required to ensure you can get at least 5 full turns of thread engagement. Bolt length should be 30mm + the thickness of the spacer. In my case I used a Spulen 10mm (x 66.6mm Hub) spacer purchased on Amazon for $40. My local tire dealer gave me an old set of 40mm bolts.

Spacer on hub

Spare mounted

Plenty of space in the tire well for bolts and spacer

Can the HUD be seen with polarized sunglasses?

No -- Put those polarized Monster Dogs up on Ebay and spring for a pair of non-polarized Straight Jackets. You can dimmly see the mph with polarized glasses, but not the last-minute navigation stuff. It's in color and just doesn't make it through. I miss the non-glare feature of polorized, but the hud is too useful to lose.[/QUOTE]
Old 07-12-2016, 11:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

RS7's in the US don't come with a spare tire, even as an accessory. The spare I use is from 2013 A7 that I got at a junk yard. It's the standard compact spare for the A7 and S7 cars, so you can order it from the dealer, or from some of the internet tire shops. A7, S7, RS7, and Performance all use the same max sized wheels and tires, 20" wheels with 275x35 tires, or 21" wheels with 275x30 tires. Overall tire diameter is the same for them all as well as the spare.

Last edited by RCCurtis; 07-12-2016 at 11:46 PM.
Old 07-13-2016, 02:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 81 Posts

The 20" tire size for the S7 is 265-35x20....
Old 07-13-2016, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks RCCurtis

Originally Posted by RCCurtis
RS7's in the US don't come with a spare tire, even as an accessory. The spare I use is from 2013 A7 that I got at a junk yard. It's the standard compact spare for the A7 and S7 cars, so you can order it from the dealer, or from some of the internet tire shops. A7, S7, RS7, and Performance all use the same max sized wheels and tires, 20" wheels with 275x35 tires, or 21" wheels with 275x30 tires. Overall tire diameter is the same for them all as well as the spare.