RS 7 Discussion forum for the Audi RS 7

S7 vs RS7 transmission

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 134 Likes on 90 Posts
Default S7 vs RS7 transmission

Hello all, I'm looking to trade up from my s7 to an RS7 mainly because of the s7's rough tranny. It's to jerky and unpredictable at lower speeds and makes driving in traffic a pain. My question to all RS7 owners is, do you experience any roughness from your transmission because I do know the RS7 has a regular 8 speed automatic vs. the s7's dual clutch which are known to not be very smooth off the line.
Old 10-04-2015, 10:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pabla
Hello all, I'm looking to trade up from my s7 to an RS7 mainly because of the s7's rough tranny. It's to jerky and unpredictable at lower speeds and makes driving in traffic a pain. My question to all RS7 owners is, do you experience any roughness from your transmission because I do know the RS7 has a regular 8 speed automatic vs. the s7's dual clutch which are known to not be very smooth off the line.
That's a pretty expensive remedy for a jerky transmission. You might instead want to explore getting the TCU (and ECU) tune from an APR dealer. Everyone who's done it is raving how it makes the S7 "drive like it should".
Old 02-10-2016, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I traded my S7 for an RS7. The RS is much smoother off the line, and shifts just as quick. To boot, the 8th gear gives the car better gas milage overall, unless I keep my foot in it :-))
Old 02-10-2016, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Pabla
I haven't driven the S6/S7 but the RS7s transmission is pretty smooth. Shift lag is almost non-existent. Power is ridiculous. You will be VERY happy with this upgrade...do it.
Old 02-10-2016, 01:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Beautiful car. While the shifting is indeed smooth, the car sometimes doesn't downshift fast enough or chooses the wrong gear (even in the dynamic setting). If you take a very slow 90 degree turn for example and punch it, the car often won't drop back down a gear. Having moved from many Mercedes AMG cars, their shifting logic IQ is far superior. Keeping the RS7 in D-S mode helps a great deal but even that can be tricked from time to time (and eats the fuel). One of my few complaints on an otherwise spectacular car. Enjoy!

Last edited by RS7blue; 02-10-2016 at 01:53 PM.