RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

$3,191 for 50K Extended warranty

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 03:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $3,191 for 50K Extended warranty

I am nearly at 50,000 miles, so I am shopping for extended warranty. Dealer has "MasterTech" vehicle protection program, administered by American Financial Warranty Corporation. The most extensive coverage ("Ultra")costs $3,191 for 50,000 miles/3yrs. Anybody here know anything good or bad about this program?
Old 04-14-2009, 04:13 PM

I'll cover your car for that much and then deny all claims because you have a modified car.

All I can say about aftermarket warranties is read all the fine print and then read it again.... and then have them read it to you before you buy.

Need to find out the parent company that backs "mastertech" and do some home work. BBB and other resources to see how they rate.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:03 PM

I had purchased an extended warranty for my M5 from a company that was in business for nearly 20 yrs, which made me feel comfortable, but only to see it go bust in the first 6 months of my policy. I had prepaid the full 3 yrs as it was substantially less than pay-as-you-go. Putting it on my Amex was the best thing I could've done, those guys bat for you and essentially this fell under "merchant failed to deliver promised services". But had it been over 12 months I likely wouldn't have had success recouping the funds.

So def do your research, longevity sadly is not a recipe for future success of a company. Also don't pay it up front. I thought I did my full due diligence yet still the company failed. I even called dealers and indy shops to see whether they have worked with the said company and how good it was at offering coverage. Everything came back with an A+, yet it collapsed.

As far as modifications, if you go to a shop regularly, they will bat for you and since most often the case is resolved over the phone, the company will not know you have a modded car and deny you coverage. However if the repairs are hefty (I think anything over $3K), they may send an inspector/appraiser. Keep in mind in most cases these appraisers are indys and don't work for the warranty company, so chances are your shop has worked with them before.

With the CB and DRC issues the RS4 seems to be exhibiting, I think an extended warranty is a no brainer for anyone planning to keep it. But you don't have to decide now, the price is the same if you do it today or when the car is at 49K miles. Just don't do it after 50K, then you'll pay through the nose.