RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

07 RS4 questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 RS4 questions

Everybody,

I got my RS a couple weeks back. I really enjoyed driving it home.

I have a few questions as I get to know the car.

I only got one master key from the previous owner. So I am looking to get one and have it programmed. I have found one on Ebay

Audi key fob

the numbers do not match the ones I have on mine but does it make a difference? As long as it is 315mHz they should be able to program it? I am guessing I have to go the dealer to have it cut they should be able to program as well. Or am I way off?

Another question I am getting ready to fo a oil/filter change.
Is there a write up or pic on a DIY oil change?

Regards

Nick
Old 03-26-2009, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Super easy.

1. get a 10 qt oil drain pan, stubby flat head screwdriver to get the 1/4 turn screws off the belly pan. Also going to need an allen to get the drain plug off. I don't know the size, but it is large. Also get a new crush ring from the dealer for the drain plug and a filter. Filter located under the carbon fiber on top of the motor.

2. You're gonna want to drain the filter first as the oil will drop into the drain pan when you remove the filter (anti drain back feature on the filter). Then remove the plug and everything else is pretty straight forward.

3. On the refill, only fill to the 1/2 way mark on the dipstick. 9 quarts will take it to the halfway mark without starting the car. Once you start the car, the filter reservior will take up 1/2 a quart and you will need to put in another 1/2 which wil bring you back to that 1/2 mark on the dipstick. You can put 9.5 quarts in there at one time, it won't make a difference. It will just read high till you start the car and circulate the oil.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

cool. I have done all my oil changes for almost 20 years so sounds pretty straightforward.

Question the filter is at the top of the engine under the carbon fiber cover that says RS and has the Audi Logo? How do I remove the carbon fiber cover? Do I give it a little pull or there is some trick to it? I do not want to break or crack it.

Thanks

Nick
Old 03-26-2009, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by titsataki
cool. I have done all my oil changes for almost 20 years so sounds pretty straightforward.

Question the filter is at the top of the engine under the carbon fiber cover that says RS and has the Audi Logo? How do I remove the carbon fiber cover? Do I give it a little pull or there is some trick to it? I do not want to break or crack it.

Thanks

Nick
just wiggle and tug up...it's got 3 plastic posts in grommets mntd to the metal bracket...
be careful, the grommets pull out sometimes and may get lost on the engine...
Old 03-26-2009, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

ok I got the cover off.

Now I also removed the 2 screws and the bracket the carbon fiber cover is attached. The filter is under the black cover with the huge allen bolt?
What size is that? Looks like 32or 34mm I have all the way to 27mm. I guess I will have to get something from Sears.

Pics to follow.
Bracket:

Filter bolt:

Thanks for the input

Nick

Last edited by titsataki; 03-26-2009 at 12:48 PM.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by titsataki
ok I got the cover off.

Now I also removed the 2 screws and the bracket the carbon fiber cover is attached. The filter is under the black cover with the huge allen bolt?
What size is that? Looks like 32or 34mm I have all the way to 27mm. I guess I will have to get something from Sears.

Pics to follow.

Thanks for the input

Nick
it's a black plastic cover with a 36mm (I think) six sided bolt molded in to it...

checked mine, it's a 32mm
32 millimeter = 1.2598 inch
a 1-1/4" is very close

Last edited by ArthurPE; 03-26-2009 at 12:46 PM.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

thank you.

I am going to be doing this all the time so might as well get me a 32mm 6 point socket
Old 03-27-2009, 04:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Good job - you took the words out of my mouth. I'm talking about changing the filter first, use 9.5 qts., and only fill to the 1/2 mark.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Somehow a 32mm socket is not something the local Sears has in stock. I may have to wait this one out until I receive it by mail.

I also ordered a Fumoto Valve to replace the drain plug. I have been using those for years with no adverse effects.

Of course I indeed lost one of the grommets that hold the carbon fiber cover.
Anyone have a part number for a replacement?

Thanks for the input folks.

Nick

Last edited by titsataki; 03-27-2009 at 05:44 AM.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Just use a pair of channel locks to take off the filter cap. Wrap a rag around the bolt so that you don't scratch it up.

Quick Reply: 07 RS4 questions