RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

1,500 Mile Observations and a Few Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 07:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1,500 Mile Observations and a Few Questions

This weekend, I had the pleasure of completing by break in miles by driving up to Montreal from NYC for the Formula 1 race. The drive back was great way to cap off two very interesting days.

I caravanned with a few friends (one of which was driving a 2005.5 S4) and had ample opportunity to test the upper reaches of the tachometer. It started as we merged onto the highway in Montreal. A gentleman in a gray 550 Maranello roared by our pack. Needless to say, we followed him until he exited, before the border. Key take away from that encounter: the RS4 can keep up with the Maranello, even if the Maranello downshifts (and BTW, a Maranello downshift sounds fantastic).

On Formula 1 weekend, I87 is always littered with police just south of the border, so even with 4 V1s between us (both Audis are hardwired via ELEVENS method), we took it easy. Up there, we passed a Range Rover Sport Supercharged that had been nailed. He caught up to us about an hour later and proceeded to lead the pack for the next 1.5 hours, only to get nailed again (tip of the hat to him, and the V1 from our caravan). Key takeaway: RS4 brakes bleed of speed very quickly, however, the rear end does get squirrely during very aggressive applications.

The rest of the drive was more of the same, however, I didn't pass the 1,500 mile mark and really wind it out until we were pulling out of a rest stop 1/2 way. The sound is just so good. And the pull between 6,000 and 8,000 RPM...I also noticed that the car seems to have more pull and a deeper growl now. Don't know if that's just me being more aggressive with the throttle, but I like it. Needless to say, I am very pleased with my acquisition.

A note on oil consumption: I had to add 3/4 of a quart at ~400 miles. After that, consumption declined significantly (which makes me wonder if it was actually full when I took delivery - the car only had 32 miles on it, but who knows). The level was 2/3 of the way up the dipstick 1,000 miles later.

After the weekend with the car, I came away with three questions (forgive me if these have been posted by someone else and I wasn't able to find them):

1. How accurate is the speedometer? I have been advised that in Audis, it's ~5mph optimistic and the tip computer is accurate. To test, I used the mile markers on the highway when my speedo indicated ~76 mph and came up with ~70. Seems to check out (as does the odometer). Later, I called my buddy in the S4 when my spedo indicated ~78mph. He said his read 75. Go figure. Later, I passed one of the "Your Speed Is" signs on the highway, and it indicated 62mph, while my speedo read 63...so I'm confused. I'm inclined to trust my stopwatch.

2. Between an indicated 80mph and 90mph, I get a high-frequency vibration in the chassis. It's not pronounced, but noticeable every time. Assume it goes away at higher speeds...I don't think it's wheel related because there is no vibration in the steering wheel (although it could be rear wheels, but it just doesn't feel like that).

3. Finally, when I started the car in Montreal to drive back, it started differently. It turned over powerfully, as usual, but then it paused, and fired. It continued to start this way each time afterwards. Do you think this could be a looming problem with my automatic starter (i.e. the device that keeps the car turning until it fires even if you release the key)? Or is it just part of the break-in process?

Any thoughts would be most welcome.

As a new member, I just want to say I think this board is great. Fresh, interesting posts, lots of information and decent folks. Many thanks.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The speedo is about 5 mph off but this may differ from one car to another. Best way to tell is...

By using a GPS.

Vibrations... Perhaps tires?

On the rest I can't help you, sorry.

Hope you enjoyed Montreal and the F1 race.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:02 PM

Default that's a good write-up

i enjoyed reading it.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:17 PM

Default it's also not constant. what i mean is

it may be 2 mph off at 60 and 5 mph off at 100. it definitely differs car to car, along with model to model. they could do better with accuracy coming out of the factory, but it's probably a low priority. not many speedos are 100% accurate.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 1,500 Mile Observations and a Few Questions

1) mine is 3 mph off up to 100, measured by GPS

2) There is no normal RS4 vibration. Have your shop check wheel/tire balance.

3) Another oddity. Have the starter checked.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default In regards to vibrations...

It might be how your wheels were put on the car. Audi hubs aren't the best and if the wheel isn't completely centered around them you can get a vibration at higher speeds. I think Pete from Stratmosphere posted something about this.

Basically, lift your car, take the wheels off, then re-center them and tighten while up on the lift. Don't put the vehicles weight on the wheel until fully tight.

I might be forgetting something here, so try a search before you do anything.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: 1,500 Mile Observations and a Few Questions

Thank you. I am driving up to Montreal next month and I will be sure to take it easy close to the border!
Old 06-12-2007, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default And, if you are going to the trouble of re-centering while unloaded, be

sure to gradually torque in the usual pattern, and use a torque wrench at least for the final torque sequence. Check torque a few hundred miles later.

All common sense stuff, I realize.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:31 AM

Default Re: In regards to vibrations...

don't the wheel bolts act to center it, when tightened down fully? i can't see a wheel bolt torqued to spec and not seat itself fully in the center of the opening. he described a high speed subtle vibration, which doesn't sound like wheel balance but maybe a drivetrain issue.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:33 AM

Default Re: And, if you are going to the trouble of re-centering while unloaded, be

yes, common sense...wheel mounting 101, tighten in criss-cross pattern and don't over tighten.

Quick Reply: 1,500 Mile Observations and a Few Questions