RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

1st, 2nd, 3rd gear crunch....

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st, 2nd, 3rd gear crunch....

Ok you guys know I'm new to my RS4 (42k miles)....I'm noticing a slight crunch going into those gears...I was watching the videos on JHM's website...and I think I'm understanding that the synchronizers in those gears start to wear...and that JHM has a good replacement part. Is anyone else noticing that? I'm just wondering how much labor it would cost to replace those few parts...I was pretty sure tranny labor was pretty expensive...any thoughts from you veterans are appreciated!
Old 10-09-2011, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

It will probably be between 2 and 5k.

You might look around for a aftermarket shop to do the work. Check in the local forum for recommendations
Old 10-09-2011, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Can't imagine 3 synchros going bad at once. Maybe a hanging clutch (warped disk, hydraulics need to be bled, etc).
Old 10-10-2011, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ELEVENS
Can't imagine 3 synchros going bad at once. Maybe a hanging clutch (warped disk, hydraulics need to be bled, etc).
Thanks Elevens....I have my 45k service coming up at the 'stealership' so I'll ask them to look at it for me...It's weird...after driving the car a lot this weekend...I noticed, the situation is only intermittent...maybe its when the car is cold...not quite sure....
Old 10-10-2011, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Reggie
It will probably be between 2 and 5k.

You might look around for a aftermarket shop to do the work. Check in the local forum for recommendations
Whoa...that's expensive..thanks Reggie!
Old 10-11-2011, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by BADRS4
Whoa...that's expensive..thanks Reggie!
Yes it is - I knew someone here in Fort Collins who bought a used RS and the syncos went on it and he got Audi to split the bill.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:27 AM
Banned

Thanks Elevens....I have my 45k service coming up at the 'stealership' so I'll ask them to look at it for me...It's weird...after driving the car a lot this weekend...I noticed, the situation is only intermittent...maybe its when the car is cold...not quite sure....
1st and 2nd gear synchros are very stout. Most often used gears, so Audi built them to handle a lot more.

For whatever reason, Audi has done this for a while on these cars...but 3-6th gears all have much smaller synchros. Of those 4 gears, which one do you use most often? 3rd.

That's why most of the synchro complaints focus on 3rd gear. It's a design 'flaw' in that they could maybe have used a more robust 3gs.

As for all 3 going at once that makes no sense. I think you may be experiencing cold weather turning your fluid to sludge.

since you just bought your RS4, here's what I would suggest

1. change diff fluid
2. change trans fluid
3. change fuel filter
4. change air filter
5. depending on mileage, change spark plugs
6. change oil and filter
7. change cabin filter
8. if you're over 50,000 miles, change the coolant reservoir (the plastic jug...they develop cracks with time)
9. carbon clean

I plan to do all of these in my first month or so of ownership here.

this will give the car a great 'renewal' of sorts...and the fuel filter may give you a shot of horsepower you didn't know you were missing.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by sakimano
1st and 2nd gear synchros are very stout. Most often used gears, so Audi built them to handle a lot more.

For whatever reason, Audi has done this for a while on these cars...but 3-6th gears all have much smaller synchros. Of those 4 gears, which one do you use most often? 3rd.

That's why most of the synchro complaints focus on 3rd gear. It's a design 'flaw' in that they could maybe have used a more robust 3gs.

As for all 3 going at once that makes no sense. I think you may be experiencing cold weather turning your fluid to sludge.

since you just bought your RS4, here's what I would suggest

1. change diff fluid
2. change trans fluid
3. change fuel filter
4. change air filter
5. depending on mileage, change spark plugs
6. change oil and filter
7. change cabin filter
8. if you're over 50,000 miles, change the coolant reservoir (the plastic jug...they develop cracks with time)
9. carbon clean

I plan to do all of these in my first month or so of ownership here.

this will give the car a great 'renewal' of sorts...and the fuel filter may give you a shot of horsepower you didn't know you were missing.
Thanks Saki...yeah I think it's mostly 3rd that I feel it...occasionally 2nd also....but mostly 3rd...I didn't mean to say 1st gear when I wrote this...But yeah I did the carbon clean about 2 weeks ago...it drives real smooth now...(got carmax to pay for it) and I have 43k miles now and all the maintenance was done prior to me owning it..becuz the previous owner had AudiCare..I have one last 45k service which I will do next month for free.....I will ask them about changing tranny fluid and diff fluid at that time....I think you're right though about it being cold...cuz I don't seem to notice it as bad when it warms up...thanks for your help
Old 10-14-2011, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks Saki...yeah I think it's mostly 3rd that I feel it...occasionally 2nd also....but mostly 3rd...I didn't mean to say 1st gear when I wrote this...But yeah I did the carbon clean about 2 weeks ago...it drives real smooth now...(got carmax to pay for it) and I have 43k miles now and all the maintenance was done prior to me owning it..becuz the previous owner had AudiCare..I have one last 45k service which I will do next month for free.....I will ask them about changing tranny fluid and diff fluid at that time....I think you're right though about it being cold...cuz I don't seem to notice it as bad when it warms up...thanks for your help
What's the gear oil that's real good for performance? Redline is what the dealer was recommending....
Old 10-26-2011, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

I changed my tranny fluid with REDLINE...and WOW what a DIFFERENCE!!! Gear changes are so smooth now!!! I definitely recommend it!