RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

2 Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 Questions...

Hi, I have a 2007 RS4 and I'm looking for answers on 2 things:

1) I'm getting vibration at around 70mph. They are new tires and had them recently balanced.

2) I need new brakes. I'm not sure I like the slotted look of JHM (despite being bigger), but willing to be talked out of OEM. Where is the best place to get OEM rotors and what pad recommendation do you have?

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-26-2013, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

1. is the vibration while driving/coasting or when braking?
If only during braking, either your rotors have residue brake pad imprinted on them (commonly known as warped rotors), which can only be removed by turning them, sanding or replacing them (I've read that Audi rotors should never be turned - replaced only). Or your rotors/wheels are not sitting properly due to dirt, rust etc and need to be cleaned and reseated.
If it's while driving, it could be that the tires/rims are still out of round or you have a suspension problem. Can you localize the vibration to the front or rear of the car? If you jack up each corner, hold the tire at the 3 and 6 o'clock position and try rocking the wheel. It should be solid (not move). Then change to 6 and 12 o'clock position and try rocking it again. It should also be solid. Any looseness means you may have loose suspension parts that may need to be replaced.

2. I personally like the JHM and what I'll be going with when it comes time. There are lots of threads on this topic.

GL.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Vibrating mainly when driving. I'm going to have the tires looked at again, but will also have my mechanic look at the suspension.

I like the idea of JHM...just not sure why they didn't make a set to look more like stock rotors.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

IMO it is most likely one of the following:
* damaged wheel or tyre (tire)
* wheel balance issue
* alignment issue

It is amazing the number of wheel & tyre (tire) shops that are imcompetent when it comes to wheel alignments in particular. It might be worth getting a second opinion from a well regarded shop.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Alister
IMO it is most likely one of the following:
* damaged wheel or tyre (tire)
* wheel balance issue
* alignment issue

It is amazing the number of wheel & tyre (tire) shops that are imcompetent when it comes to wheel alignments in particular. It might be worth getting a second opinion from a well regarded shop.
Thanks, I have free balancing, so I'll take it back again to check.

But it also sounds like control arm and tie rods could be the culprit?
Old 03-28-2013, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by laxman1100
Thanks, I have free balancing, so I'll take it back again to check.

But it also sounds like control arm and tie rods could be the culprit?
If all this started going bad after the new tires - that is your answer. You should make sure you visit a shop that has the latest Hunter Equipment:http://www.gsp9700.com/search/findgsp9700.cfm

The OEM brakes are still one of the best. There are many Vendors here that offer OEM rotors and there are some on other forums that give discounts. Most Audi dealerships give a 10% discount to Audi Club members.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What Reggie said. The first step in troubleshooting is ask the question, "What changed?"

Control arms will clunk over bumps when they go bad, but I don't see how it would cause vibration unless of course they're so far gone that they've been clunking for tens of thousands of miles.

Stock brakes are very good. A pad change is needed for tracking but the basic design is good.

You'll figure it out. Good luck.