RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

about to pull the trigger

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 07:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default about to pull the trigger

and trade my B6 S4 and join this group. I am looking at an 07 RS4 with somewhat high mileage (42,000) but can make a favorable deal.Done as much searching and research as I have had time to do, and the only serious potential issues particular to the R that I am comming up with are the DRC an possible sludge. I plan to get the car checked out, and will try to get the service history from Audi, but, here in California,it appears that getting previous service history is sometimes difficult due to privacy laws(kinda like medical history, LOL.) There are about 7800 miles left on the warrantee.
Any advice from you guys regarding this transition would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it CPO?
Old 02-10-2009, 05:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default You need a service history

I agree that the dealer will not hand it out to anyone who walks down the street, but you have a right (even in the People's Republic of Kalifornia) to that information. I would not buy any car of this type without knowing its life. If it is a private sale, the seller has an obligation to get it from his dealer for you.

I agree with Jenner, CPO will benefit you as you get an extended disaster warranty (does not cover DRC, I don't think). Little stuff is not covered, but major things are with the factory Audi extended warranty.

I would not do this deal without history and extended warranty.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Re: Is it CPO?

Thanks for the replies. No, it is not CPO. It is not an Audi dealer either.It's at a Volvo dealer, that also deals in high end exotics, especially Porsche (Smith Volvo, SLO) and is an approved "Porscha" garage. I won't touch it without a service record though, so I am going to work on that thru my Audi dealer, Santa Barbara Auto Group, and will look into some extended warrantees. I am a pretty good mechanically and not afraid to tackle most anything. I really enjoy my S4, but after driving the R, it's an itch that needs to be scratched.
I would also have the Audi dealer go completely thru it while under warrantee and pay the few hundred bucks to do so.
Other than DRC and sludge, service history and Carfax what else should I be concentrating on particular to the RS4 and Audi in general. My previous "expertise" (school of hard knocks) is BMW, Chevy and Ford, and some limited learning experience with my S4
Thanks again, for any advice.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: about to pull the trigger

mind sharing how much? i wouldn't buy a non CPO unless u can get it for 35-40k. i got mine with 19k miles for $56k with 100k warranty.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Extended warranty can be purchased from Audi but should be considered in the overall cost...

Is it the Silver RS4? I saw it on ebay several times and considered it. Since that car seemed to have been available for a while I think that you should be able to get it somewhere in the mid $30k's.

Im not sure how much an extended warranty is (ask your local audi dealer) but that is always an option as long as you get it before the regular factory warranty expires. The extended one does cover a significant amount if I remember correctly and its negotiable regarding how much the deductible will be, etc.

I recently got mine (3 weeks ago) in Irvine, CA, for $43k (2007 with 11k miles). Its a non-cpo but for how much money I saved on the initial buy Im comfortable buying an Audi extended warranty when the time comes.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default With the miles have them really look at all of the bushing for control arms, links, stabilizer

bar and also all the CV boots for cracks. Other than the suspension parts (not just DRC/shocks) I can't think of any thing else. You must get an extended warranty though. It is worth every penny.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default See if your local dealer will CPO it for you and what that might cost.

I would be afraid to own this car without a warranty. Not that it's going to break, but if it does, the RS4 specific parts + labor rate add up really quick.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Cant it only be CPO'ed if the selling dealer is Audi?

Didn't think you could CPO a vehicle if it was from another dealership.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Anything can be done if the price is right....

Quick Reply: about to pull the trigger