RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Advice on this RS4 I am about to buy

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 06:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on this RS4 I am about to buy

I have been a long time lurker of Audis mainly the S4 but I have been seriously looking at the RS4 for about 3 months now.

I came across a 07 with 38k miles with CPO from a Audi dealer and they are asking 46500 non negotiable it is a clean carfax but a 2 owner. I am having a hard time with it mainly because they are not negotiating on the price and i always feel like I need to be getting a deal. =)

I have been trying to compare the car to other "like" cars new or used for 45k and frankly nothing compares, in my mind. The m3 sedan is rear wheel drive, the 911 in that range (01-04)is well..old and a totally different class of car. A newer STI or EVO are too young looking and a different build class altogether being Japanese and all.

Then there is the carbon build up issue and from what I have read is not covered under the warranty.

Is this a good deal and what are some other cars you RS4 owners have looked at?

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Too much money....even 08's are going for less than that...and don't worry about the carbon clean...$800 and you're good to go for a while...just keep doing can cleans in-between the full intake cleanings...
Old 12-05-2011, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Some people may disagree, but the carbon buildup is a non issue to me. $800 to get it taken care of every 30-40k miles seems irrelevant to me when you're talking about a 40k+ car. Almost everyone I took my Volvo S60r to the dealer it cost me $1k and it's not even half as fun. Right now people are finding care with around 40k miles around the $38-40k range without warranties. The CPO is about $2500 but when you factor in the new tires ($1500) pads ($500) plus not having to cross 5 states to find one (like I did) that price doesn't seem all that bad. Maybe $1-2k high but certainly in the ballpark. I've had mine for 5 months now and I wouldn't trade it for anything. I test drove a 6 speed M3 unsupervised and it's just not as friendly of a daily driver. Plus throw about $4k into it and u can be just as fast and a hell of a lot better when it rains! Just my 2 sense. You will have to find an Audi mechanic who actuall knows these cars. Some of them have no clue!

Originally Posted by rxtrom
I have been a long time lurker of Audis mainly the S4 but I have been seriously looking at the RS4 for about 3 months now.

I came across a 07 with 38k miles with CPO from a Audi dealer and they are asking 46500 non negotiable it is a clean carfax but a 2 owner. I am having a hard time with it mainly because they are not negotiating on the price and i always feel like I need to be getting a deal. =)

I have been trying to compare the car to other "like" cars new or used for 45k and frankly nothing compares, in my mind. The m3 sedan is rear wheel drive, the 911 in that range (01-04)is well..old and a totally different class of car. A newer STI or EVO are too young looking and a different build class altoLgether being Japanese and all.

Then there is the carbon build up issue and from what I have read is not covered under the warranty.

Is this a good deal and what are some other cars you RS4 owners have looked at?

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rxtrom
I came across a 07 with 38k miles with CPO from a Audi dealer and they are asking 46500 non negotiable it is a clean carfax but a 2 owner
That price is way too high - by at least $3k.

18 months ago, I bought my 07, CPO, with only 29,000 miles for $48,500. Even then, my deal was on the high side, but it was the best I could do and it wasn't worth my time to keep going through the hassle of shopping.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by gibsonl
Some people may disagree, but the carbon buildup is a non issue to me. $800 to get it taken care of every 30-40k miles seems irrelevant to me when you're talking about a 40k+ car.
I agree. No biggie...just part of the deal.

I don't like carbon though. When the JHM carbon buildup 'solution' comes to market I'll be first in line to get it. More for the safety of the engine than anything. I've heard of 3 different RS4s needing new engines due to scored cylinder walls after chunks of carbon broke free and made their way past the intake valves into a cylinder, getting scraped up and down the wall by the piston, scoring it to compression disturbing levels. That's no fun, warranty or not.

Last edited by sakimano; 12-06-2011 at 07:17 AM.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Just check autotrader and you'll be able to find every RS4 in the US. 5 months ago when I got mine there were only like 10-15 but now I see 60 so the owners who bought them new are finally starting to unload them. $40-44k definitely seems like the range for the CPO with sub 40k miles. But, if your talking about the RS4 at Tysons Corner, VA it's worth $46.5k bc it's Tyson's Corner. ) Or if it has the exclusive or titanium package it lifts that range a little. I had to travel to OH and FL to see 3 cars to finally get one in a condition I wanted. Not all RS4's are equal, not even if they have the same mileage. So keep that in mind. If it's not direct from Audi definitely have Audi inspect the car.