RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Aftermarket exhausts and warranty question

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 02:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket exhausts and warranty question

I know many of us have changed out the stock exhaust for aftermarket exhausts. I myself replaced mine with a Tubi system, which is a catback system (I believe it goes on after the stock resonators). I'm asking this question about whether or not this voids our powertrain warranties because of an issue an acquaintance of mine has unfortunately faced.

My acquaintance owns a 2007 RS4 and fitted a Magnaflow exhaust. As far as I know, he has not flashed the ECU and did not install new catalytic converters or downpipes. He was having some gear grinding whenever he engaged 1st gear, regardless of his clutch engagement. He took his RS4 to Deal Audi in Asheville, NC to get a 10000 mile service as well as to have his transmission problem diagnosed. He's now been informed (after three weeks of pointless work) that his transmission has been disassembled, that they don't have the expertise to reassemble it, and that his powertrain warranty was voided by having an aftermarket exhaust. I know that changing out the catalytic converters and downpipes likely voids your powertrain warranty, but is this also true of catback exhausts?

His RS4 is sitting in pieces, the dealer wants him to pay a great deal of money for everything, and a factory representative apparently has reviewed the situation and stated that because he chose an independent aftermarket exhaust rather than the "Audi optional aftermarket exhaust" (I've never been aware that Audi itself sold an alternative exhaust -- I've never read about it on any forum, seen it for sale on any website nor read about it in any European forum!) that this automatically voids his powertrain warranty.

I had my Tubi installed by my Audi dealer and I specifically asked ahead of time whether any warranty of any kind would be voided and they informed me that no warranty would be voided.

Any thoughts/comments? Any ideas to help this poor guy? Clearly the dealer has not done him any favors by disassembling the transmission without having the expertise to reassemble it.
Old 06-12-2008, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default It shouldnt void it, the dealer would have to prove that the aftermarket parts caused the failure...

as per the Magnussen Moss Act<ul><li><a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson-Moss_Warranty_Act">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson-Moss_Warranty_Act</a</li></ul>
Old 06-12-2008, 03:24 PM
kem
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Sounds like the dealer made a mess and now can't clean it.

Your friend should not put up with this in any way shape or form.
Old 06-12-2008, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Aftermarket exhausts and warranty question

Shouldn't be an issue. His AASM is Joe Koteles. Get him involved via AoA. Exhaust would not void powertrain, simply the exhaust system warranty and that would only be on the Cats and 02 sensors.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Agree with comments below. Dealer has no grounds whatsoever to stand on......

I would mop the floor with this dealership even if it cost me more money just to prove a point. Slimebags.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Totally ridiculous! I also agree with the statements below.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Get a lawyer. They shouldn't have disassembled the transmission if they couldn't put it back.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

He needs to contact AOA immediately but why this third party post - WTF is he not posting here?
Old 06-12-2008, 06:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Aftermarket exhausts and warranty question

Thanks for all the input.

I suggested he get himself a lawyer as well. They shouldn't have disassembled it if they didn't know how to put it back together. Supposedly, a factory representative is denying the warranty coverage. It's only got 10000 miles on it and the dealership had promised it was under warranty.

I still love my Tubi btw
Old 06-12-2008, 06:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: He needs to contact AOA immediately but why this third party post - WTF is he not posting here?

He's not posting here because he's a shy kid and a little embarassed because he's so young. He received the RS4 as a gift from his father. I posted because I am really curious about what to do if I got into a similar situation.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket exhausts and warranty question