RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Alcon 6 Puck Clutch Review

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 09:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alcon 6 Puck Clutch Review

Well after all the drama on the forum regarding this clutch, I finally got mine installed.

Pedal weight is identical to stock
Engagement Point is much higher than stock and very narrow... Where the stock clutch would bite low and take the entire pedal travel to engage, the Alcon unit bites much higher and is fully engaged almost immediately.

The big issue around here seems to be the "chatter". In all honesty its not as bad as people make it seem. If anyone has driven a car w/ a lightweight flywheel and aftermarket clutch... That is Chatter, almost sounds like the car is broken.

Engagement into 2nd gear + feels VERY quick, almost instant yet still very smooth, but I havent pushed it since the clutch only has 100 miles on it right now.

Just from cruising around with it, I can already tell that this clutch is going to make for some fun shifts at redline.

The clutch isn't very forgiving,so IMHO if you not the best manual driver out ... stay away from this product. Your going to shred your flywheel if you need to slip the clutch for downshifts and just general driving in stop and go traffic.

As of today, no one other than me and a few select drivers I know are going to be allowed to drive my car. In the past I've let anyone who asked drive my car.... with this clutch I can only imagine how much damage they would do to my drivetrain.

And as for Stasis... Jason was very cut and dry with all my questions about the clutch.He told me exactly what it was like and what to expect.

And he was spot on w/ everything he told me
A+ for Stasis
A+ for TyrolSport in Ridgewood,NY for the perfect install
Old 05-24-2008, 09:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default exactly what i was saying... you'll like this clutch. i truly didnt mind driving all over nyc with

it today during the photo shoot. like i said in the drama thread the chatter is MINIMAL enjoy your car

p.s. would of been nice to have another mugello today so i wouldnt have been outnumbered in color haha
Old 05-24-2008, 09:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I didnt get my car back till 2 today, I would of liked to come out for the pix

Next time...
Old 05-24-2008, 10:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Chatter is a product of a Lightweight flywheel setup. I have had 2 different setups in my S4 and had

the chatter in low RPMs (below 2000rpm) It is totally normal. To eliminate this, stock flywheels use a dual mass setup and sacrifice performance. There are drawbacks and give and take to everything. Personally, sounds like I would like this setup. The way the RS4 clutch engages (which you described perfectly) is akward, specially as compared to my S4 with the clutchmaster LWFW and clutch setup. I have a difficult time going back and forth between the two cars.
Old 05-24-2008, 10:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Price including install, please?

Just trying to get a feel for what I need to set aside to do this. My clutch is getting down there, probably 25% left.
Old 05-24-2008, 10:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Disc is $600 from Stasis, install is around 8-10 hours labor
Old 05-24-2008, 11:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default The 6 puck doesnt really "chatter"

A car that "chatters" will do it at idle with the clutch engaged

What people assume is chatter is really the clutch grabbing, that sound is just the clutch gripping the flywheel so hard that it sounds almost like the engine will stall. Really the issue is that the clutch is simply not engaging the flywheel smoothly and that results in the abrupt sound u get when you start to engage the clutch.

Its in the nature of the clutch design and material, since the cerametallic doesnt lend it self to slipping...

The OEM organic clutch will allow plenty of slippage that results in a smooth engagement
Old 05-25-2008, 07:17 AM

Default Re: The 6 puck doesnt really "chatter"

Forget about the noise, what about the vibration? Is that excessive with the chatter?
Old 05-25-2008, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

very little vibrations are present... or at least maybe i just dont notice them
Old 05-25-2008, 07:56 AM

That's good to hear, and glad you like the clutch

Quick Reply: Alcon 6 Puck Clutch Review