RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

For all of us that give out rides at track days. FYI, Carrera GT Crash Settled at $4.5m

Old 10-24-2007, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For all of us that give out rides at track days. FYI, Carrera GT Crash Settled at $4.5m

<ul><li><a href="http://www.sportscarmarket.com/content/carrera">http://www.sportscarmarket.com/content/carrera</a</li></ul>
Old 10-24-2007, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Very interesting read...

..should stir some debate around ownership of accountability and risks assumed thru the participation of these types of events.

I'm not sure that I'm onbaord w/ Porsche's liability around implementing PSM on the CGT. Almost like saying, someone buys gun, someone shoots himself in head, someone's family sue gun maker because guns are dangerous. (A bit oversimplified.)
Old 10-24-2007, 07:17 AM
kem
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default This is really sad... the wife lost her husband now has to pay 2+ million

I can't help but think some ambulance chaser lawyer convinced the other widow that she deserved money.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Seems the track to me should eat more...that temp wall design was going to kill anyone that hit it.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Yes, it is very sad, but not surprising in our litigious society. Fact is that racing is dangerous

and anyone in a car on a race track, notwithstanding car or track design flaws, is, or should be well aware of the risks. "Speed kills" is not a cliche'. That the Carrera GT has oversteer is no secret to anyone who even knows what it is, much less someone driving/riding in one. Faulty track barriers/placement are very unfortunate. Seems to me that if amateurs want to drive on a track they should be acutely aware of their limitations. Let us hope that those with serious cars on the street are mindful of their limitations. None of us should expect electronic stability or other aids to overcome the laws of physics.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:10 AM

Default The whole thing is sad

When you think of all the things that went wrong culminating in the deaths of two men living in their prime. A friend of mine was good friends with Ben. He was married and I believe he had a baby/toddler.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Sad story. I'm sure I'll get flamed, but I think there is a silver lining.

The track had enough manpower to move the barrier for the NASCAR kiddies, but after the money-machine rolled on, there was somehow not enough manpower to put it back to a safe position. Now they have a reason.

Allowing drivers to tech their own cars is insane, irresponsible, unsafe, and a rather glaring conflict of interest. Hopefully now they have a reason to do it right, and if the neurosurgeons complain, they can go find another club. I've done tech inspections on bikes and worked corners. It's ugly, can be intimidating, but necessary.

It is sad but sometimes, the only way to get through to people like that is to hit em in the pocketbook hard.

I feel sad or the widow who has to shell out money due to her late husband's error in judgement. I also feel sad for the other widow who lost her husband for no reason other than he had a friend with more money than driving skills, and not enough judgement to drive alone if he was learning to race.

[Nomex on]
Old 10-24-2007, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Damn ! So I can sue Honda for no stability control on their Honda Fit ? WTF
Old 10-24-2007, 10:05 AM
kem
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default you should read about the tech inspection...

Yes they allowed him to do his own tech inspection, that should not happen. However the mechanics advice that the car was unsafe was not due to the car being broken, misaligned or anything else like that. he simply stated the car is prone to oversteer thus its unsafe. Which is retarded, any 600+hp rwd car will be prone to oversteer, that does not necessarily mean it should not pass a tech inspection.

If there is a silver lining its that the track will take more safety percautions. The bad news is we will see tracks closing over stuff like this and also more dumbed down cars. And the widow of the driver does not deserve this either. She could also sue the racetrack, but I don't think she did... I think its lame the other widow can't find closure without money.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I met Ben two weeks before he died, very nice man.

This is a horrible outcome for his family, I wonder if his insurance covered it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: For all of us that give out rides at track days. FYI, Carrera GT Crash Settled at $4.5m