RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Am I crazy to trade in my RS4 for a 997 C2S??

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I crazy to trade in my RS4 for a 997 C2S??

The time is getting near for me to trade my RS4 in for a 997 C2S - and I'm starting to get cold feet because I love my car so much. When I test drive the 997, however, I feel it's the right decision for me. It's a true sports car, lighter, and we don't have kids and therefore I don't need the 4-doors which result in my playing lunchtime taxi driver for my co-workers which is OK if 3-people but I bitch and moan when 4 people because I'm 6'2" and have to shove myself forward. Back to the cold feet part ...

For those folks who either own a 997 C2S or have owned one, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the two cars. From the test drives I'm sold but it would sure suck to figure out otherwise two months after the fact.

Thanks,
Old 10-24-2007, 09:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If you have no need for 4 doors and AWD, go for it!

The 997 S is an amazing car and will probably not disappoint you at all.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default my thoughts in owning porsches

I have driven the 997 C2S, although I dont own one. I do own a 993 C2S and a 1966 912 and I am in the process of ordering an RS4.

What I like about the 997 S --

great fun to drive, my favorite current 911 (excluding GT3)..

What I dont like about the 997 S --

very common, they are everywhere, engine is not from the original GT1, instead very similar to the 996 (RMS problems, etc), expensive ($85k+ new) and within $15-20k of a GT3 (best Porsche ever)

What I do like about the RS4 --

unique, sleeper, very well engineered, Quattro provides security in bad weather, interior better than Porsche, utility of having small backseat, exotic engine

What I do not like about the RS4 --

so damn heavy...weighs the same as an M5 but with 100 less HP. carbon fiber is a little too blingy for me, not crazy about the color choices, very expensive ($75k+)
Old 10-25-2007, 08:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default The C2S is an o.k. car, but why don't you get a GT3?

Sure they're more money, but they are a MUCH better car. And talk about a blast to drive. The GT3 makes the C2S seem like an A4 compared to the RS4. Just my opinion
Old 10-25-2007, 08:25 AM

Default I haven't driven the 997 S, but I have a 996 GT2 and I have some perspectives

I rarely drive the GT2 and prefer the RS4 because of comfort and the performance is still there with the RS4. I have the luxury of driving the GT2 if I have that urge to be in a pure sports car, but the RS4 satisfies me completely. Plus, if the porsche were a daily driver, I'd get tired of getting into a lower sports car and the seating isn't as comfortable (I had an SL55 roadster and I was uncomfortable even in that).

If you want better handling, invest in the Stasis suspension and get sway bars. Stasis does make the car feel lighter and removes any roll. Get the GMG exhaust, which makes an incredible european V8 note without being too raucous. The JHM shifter is must-get. It's high quality, heavier, and provides a more sure, mechanical shift. You'll fall in love all over again with the RS4. Total cost for the mods should be no more than $9k.

I waited until after 10k miles to make mods because I wanted to enjoy the RS4 as it broke in and matured (literally). After some mods, it gives me the thrill of a new car all over again. Why dont you make these mods and wait on getting the 997 S? IT WILL ALWAYS BE THERE. The RS4 won't. Plus, GMG is coming out with a new airbox/chip which will give you even more horsepower and thrills. Keep in mind, THE 997 WILL ALWAYS BE THERE. THE RS4 WON'T.

I'm thinking of getting a 997 as well, but it will never replace the RS4 as my favorite, most well-rounded car of all time.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:48 AM

Default Thanks for the input so far ... (and why no GT3)

Oh I thought about the GT3 and hard ... and have driven one too. A few reasons why not.

I am looking for daily driver and I think that's not the GT3.

I do live in the northwest where it's wet a good 4 months of the year and I think the C2S will be more manageable in the wet.

In theory the GT3 is not much more than the 997 but that's not true in reality. '07 997s can be had a steep discounts (>10%) which is what I'm getting, whereas they're not taking orders for GT3s anymore and used ones are available but at over MSRP or optioned too expensive. GT3RS is out of the question for me. The least expensive GT3 I've seen is $116K -- compare that to the new, well optioned 997C2S I'm getting for $84k (and if I was willing to compromise on color, I was able to talk a dealer down to $81k on a $97k MSRP car.

So, the GT3 is about $40k more than the 997C2S. That's a significant difference in my book.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default C2S is a GREAT car.

Very accessible performance, very comfortable, great raw noises, never ending grip, no body roll-ever, great brakes, much better clutch than RS, I could really go on and on....

Nothing gets your adrenaline going better than a classic porsche.

p.s. Get the drop top so you can really hear it howl
Old 10-25-2007, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Believe me, you will not be disappointed with the C2S
Old 10-25-2007, 12:54 PM

Default Re: I haven't driven the 997 S, but I have a 996 GT2 and I have some perspectives

Thanks Shillens,

I already have all the goodies ... steering wheel, exhaust, and stasis, but the 997 really moved me.

I owned a 996TT and 996C4 in the past and the 997 is a much better IMO. I hear you about the exclusivity of an RS4 vs 997 and agree. That's important to me too but not as important as feel behind the wheel, etc.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I agree. The Porsche is a great car, but........

The RS4 does so much more so well. Plus, it is a rare bird. The Porsche body is so common and so dated that there is just nothing special about it anymore. I also like the appeal of the "bodybuilder in a tuxedo" understated muscularity of the RS4. If you can afford it, get a loaded up Boxster S for the thrill of open-top and second-to-none handling and keep the RS4. Otherwise, just keep the RS4.

Quick Reply: Am I crazy to trade in my RS4 for a 997 C2S??