RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Am I a weenie, or does anyone else think some cars may be getting...

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I a weenie, or does anyone else think some cars may be getting...

TOO fast? I know, I know, how could it be? But take cars like the Z06, which is as fast as a T1 prepped Corvette race car. Now even faster are things like this new GTR, not to mention exotics like the new Lambo and Scuderia (which probably don't count as much cause most people won't track them hard). On the road, cars have been faster than you can safely go for years, but now they are getting where you are race car pace on a track, without race car safety gear. Personally, I would want at minimum 6-point belts and a HANS to track something like a ZR1 or GTR-V at even 9/10ths. I saw a race-prepped mustang roll three times at VIR the very first time I was at a track event. It thankfully had a cage, as itt looked like it came out of a rock tumbler...
Old 04-09-2008, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Am I a weenie, or does anyone else think some cars may be getting...

Very valid point! Not many people have the skills or self control to drive cars like that safely, especially on the street. But hey the adrenaline rush stop light to stop light is all some people are after.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default the power isn't the problem....

....<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3NlG7rTUBE">it's the driver</a>

(fast forward to 1:10 for the result)
Old 04-09-2008, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default "If you build it, they will come"

Darwin would have something to say here. Still, nothing like $15K motorcycles that go 9-second quarter miles and 180mph available to 16 year olds.

Back in the late 70's the U.S. govt very nearly passed legislation to prohibit the sale of motorcycles over 100hp. Today, you can buy a Ducati with 180RWHP that weighs 360 pounds. That's right, two pounds per horsepower.

I have absolutely NO problem with that!
Old 04-09-2008, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Yea, you are weenie...

but so am I. There probably should be some required driving class for cars above a certain horsepower or HP/weight. Even the RS4 is overkill for daily driving but it sure is fun. Horsepower and torque are so addictive.

I have been thinking about what to do after the RS4. Do I go ultra-luxury because I rarely "need" the power or do I go pure sports car because of the "fun". Or maybe just compromise and get a RS5 if Audi builds it.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I'm in total agreement. Too often it's the car that's saving the driver from looking like a doofus

It's so refreshing to run at the track where everybody is on the same page and the risks well managed. After a day at the track, I'm a much slower, more mellow driver. Wish everybody with more than 250hp were required to take an active safety course.

One thing I've noticed is that people equate fun with power. But the reality is quite different in practice. It's all about the ego and crushing other "challengers". They can have fun in rather low powered cars if those cars are engineered to be enjoyable to drive. They don't even need to be expensive. A Mini is a prime example. You can feel like you're wringing it out, and you're still not going so fast that you're breaking the law every second behind the wheel. It's why I enjoy driving my Alfa Milano Verde - a challenge to drive well, but rewarding to drive while still going at sane speeds.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:29 AM

Kind of why I only do suspension and brake mods and have yet to touch any ECU.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Neither do I. First trackday of the year is in two weeks
Old 04-09-2008, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

All the more reason to have all wheel drive. So you can actually use the power the car has.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Looks like he dislodged his trunk monkey

Quick Reply: Am I a weenie, or does anyone else think some cars may be getting...