RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Another go at the Cayman S

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another go at the Cayman S

So for ****es and giggles I took the Cayman S out for a spin the other day. It's my 2nd drive in this car, the first one being around 9 months ago.

My first go at it left me feeling unimpressed. The gearbox was not as fluid or even as informative as the RS4 or 997 911 Carrera. The clutch feels even vaguer than the RS4s and the brake pedal feel was also lacking, which compared to the RS4 is saying something. And oh the power, just wasn't there.

I don't remember much of what I liked about the car that time, but I found myself going back to it mainly because I wanted to re-compare my 16k miles of RS4 experience with a perfectly balanced car (or at least what stands as near perfect for that class and price).

This time was different. The car still had a substandard gearbox (albeit the shorter throws were appreciated), a vague clutch and dull brake pedal feel. However this time I was more tuned into the steering feedback and general responsiveness and balance of the car itself.

Granted it was a dry day, and this car should never be compared squarely with an RS4. But in terms of general comparisons I found the Cayman to be (predictably) a much truer sports car.

OK, so nothing that is not obvious in all that, but it did make me realize that I've been wanting something more in my car lately. I don't know if I'm having DRC trouble or if I'm just tired of the nose-heavyness at around town speeds, but it seems that unless I'm pushing the car hard the DRC isn't really doing much to negate some of the weight.

I know the STASIS kit is an option, but I'm also facing a situation where the other half will want to do some more driving. I'm wondering if I'm nuts for considering splitting my RS4 into two and picking up an S4 Avant and a Cayman S to take its place collectively?

Any King Solomons out there care to argue against such a division of splendor?

For now I am merely musing. I look over at the beast of course and think how could I? Maybe I'll keep it and get the Cayman S, a car which by the way I have come to appreciate more than the iconic 911, despite the latter's more pleasing shape at all angles.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Well, that depends is you are going to off load your RS4 for cheap?

In that case, yes get the cayman and sell me your car... ;-)

In all seriousness... we are all car crazy, and I tell my wife that if I weren't trading cars all the time it would be women instead.

Dive the Cayman after work when you are tired, and drive it on a highway for good 10 miles... see what you think.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:24 PM

Default Good idea

I drove the Cayman on a Saturday, so your suggestion is a good one. After work when I'm tired, I might find the car a little too involving.

Sometimes its nice to pop the RS4 into 4th or 5th and just cruse at typical rush hour speeds and not give a damn.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I've given up on hoping 1 car will satisfy

997S + B6 is a great combo. I would also think what you mentioned (987S + S4) would be great and more enjoyable than sticking to the compromise (especially given the heft of the beast).

I'm putting more miles on the 997 than the B6.. so I'd say that is a vote in favour of using the Porsche for commuting.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Porsche daily drivers FTW!