RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Another year end, best of article devoid of an Audi.. This time its Motor Turd, I mean Trend...

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another year end, best of article devoid of an Audi.. This time its Motor Turd, I mean Trend...

And Automobile Magazine also failed to include an Audi in their Top Ten Cars of 2006, but to their credit they excluded all BMWs as well. They did have an Astin Martin, which I thought quite lame.
Old 12-07-2006, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

It's Ok. we love audi's, and thats all that matters!
Old 12-07-2006, 05:45 PM

Default True... if anything

it makes me like them more.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:08 PM

Default Follow the money...

Audi doesn't sell nearly the volume in U.S. as BMW, Merc, Lexus, Infinity, Acura...so, who floods $'s into the mags advertising? Who palms cars on them right and left for favorable press? Who sells more cars, which sells more mags in the end?

Frankly I don't give a sh*t! I don't pay attention to their recommendations. I don't jump at the pre-determined crap they're trying to ram down our collective throats. I read the car mags to see new models, and in doing that, I also have to endure the nitwit editors ...who stumble all over themselves trying to be clever and useful.

There IS info in their that can be valuable though, and the photos are always good. As far as what they say? What else can they possibly say to further prostitute themselves after all these years?
Old 12-07-2006, 06:41 PM

Spot on
Old 12-07-2006, 06:48 PM

Default Re: Spot on

It gets a little tiring...in this case I'm mean the car mags, not my rants here : )
Old 12-07-2006, 06:55 PM

Default Another thing...

notice how(in CD's case anyway) they fall all over themselves to mention that "...this marks the 15th time in 16 years that the (fill in the blank) has made our top ten list."

What is that all about? Just say why the car makes the top ten, instead of reminding us that it always does. Not too hard to guess the motive there. Brainwashing attempt of the masses. Yeh, I know, sounds over the top, but think about it. What other possible reason could they have for pounding that point home all the time. Gee, possibly to provide the impetus to sell more of a particular car for their masters. Whatever, it's a joke.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Spot on

agreed, bavarian motors are highly overated. especially in north america.

europeans know their cars better
Old 12-08-2006, 03:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The car mags contradict themselves so many times too!!!!......

I have been a Car & Driver....errr, I mean Car & Bimmer subscriber for 24 years. I've seen a number of times in Car & Bimmer where a given car will "win" a comparison test, then the competitor was named to the "10 Best" list while the car that one the initial comparsion was not.

Get the info, look at the objective data, but don't look at the subjective opinions as gospel. Those opinions are likely to change practically from issue to issue. It's also funny how they always downplay all the problems they ever find with BMW, but always focus in on issues with their competition. Over 24 years, I have seen this as a consistent pattern. Again, and again, and again, and again, and again....get the point?

Still, I can't knock BMW themselves. As an entire line of cars, stock vs. stock, they still cater very well to the performance minded consumer.

With regards to the 3-series, I have driven almost every generation of the car when car shopping over the past 20 years. I have never bought one. Came VERY close to getting an '06 M3 with the competition package. Waited for the RS4 instead. Happy with that decision. With the exception of the M3, in my mind, the 3 series bimmers are cars for trendy pretenders.

Of course, this is Darwinism at it's finest, IMO. Many of the weenie drivers that buy the 335 will have no clue how to drive the thing, or handle that amount of power on a public roadway. This will undoubtedly lead to self-extinction of some of the species. Unfortunate, but probably true. I honestly believe it is irresponsible of car-makers to put this level of power into entry level "ordinary people" kind of cars. Of course the masses will be seduced by power, just like any enthusiast would be. In the case of the former, it could lead to their demise. I can just see some 16 year-old wrapped around a tree after driving mom's "entry level" bimmer.
Old 12-08-2006, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is the 335 "entry level"?

don't they still make a model below that with a weaker engine? I would call that a true entry level but that's just me. You know if Audi put as much focus into their "marketing" and spinning they may have more visibility and favor among the masses. BMW is the master of this.

Quick Reply: Another year end, best of article devoid of an Audi.. This time its Motor Turd, I mean Trend...