RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Approach to buying an RS4

Old 05-04-2012, 07:03 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by G35Dalf
So I may have an answer to my own questions. After reviewing the photos, the RS4 logo on one of the body side moldings is not exactly straight - slightly crooked. Maybe a minor detail, but it didn't come from the factory this way, which could indicate sloppy workmanship in a body shop. There may be more to this car than the dealer is revealing. What do you guys think?
skip

I bought a mint 08 RS4 from Audi Mississauga with half the mileage, 2 year CPO, free Audicare till like 100,000 miles etc. for only a few grand more than that one....and this was 8 months ago so that price gap should be much narrower now.

That's part one.

Part two is that the car lounge is notorious for selling GHETTO AS *** cars. Avoid

Here's a review I wrote on a B6 A4 someone asked me to check out (Car Lounge is two minutes from my house.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...94#post3301294

Here's another thread where people advise staying WELL clear.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...ge-in-Oakville

Buying a Lexus from a small potentially shady dealer isn't much of a concern as the cars are so reliable. Buying an RS4 with no warranty from one while trying to save a couple grand is a dangerous practice. Engine replacement on an RS4 is about $20,000. Not a very good gamble to save a couple grand.

Last edited by sakimano; 05-04-2012 at 07:06 AM.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by sakimano
skip

I bought a mint 08 RS4 from Audi Mississauga with half the mileage, 2 year CPO, free Audicare till like 100,000 miles etc. for only a few grand more than that one....and this was 8 months ago so that price gap should be much narrower now.

That's part one.

Part two is that the car lounge is notorious for selling GHETTO AS *** cars. Avoid

Here's a review I wrote on a B6 A4 someone asked me to check out (Car Lounge is two minutes from my house.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...94#post3301294

Here's another thread where people advise staying WELL clear.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...ge-in-Oakville

Buying a Lexus from a small potentially shady dealer isn't much of a concern as the cars are so reliable. Buying an RS4 with no warranty from one while trying to save a couple grand is a dangerous practice. Engine replacement on an RS4 is about $20,000. Not a very good gamble to save a couple grand.
Thanks very much sakimano. I didn't know about Car Lounge, you saved me major headaches. And hey, thanks for looking into this for me...

The other car I mentioned is Audi MidTown Toronto. It's a grey base. $44k was firm. Would you have any knowledge about Marks Motors in Ottawa? (that's where I will have the car serviced - under warranty).
Old 05-05-2012, 06:27 PM
Banned

Thanks very much sakimano. I didn't know about Car Lounge, you saved me major headaches. And hey, thanks for looking into this for me...

The other car I mentioned is Audi MidTown Toronto. It's a grey base. $44k was firm. Would you have any knowledge about Marks Motors in Ottawa? (that's where I will have the car serviced - under warranty).
I can see why that Daytona car in Oakville was so tempting...amazing deal for a fantastic looking car, but knowing those guys they tend to pick the cars off at the auctions that have a history. If they're selling for $42k...you can imagine what they paid for it...and if they paid that little, you can imageine what's wrong with it that made the other dealers stay away!

I don't know much about Mark motors sorry.

Let me know if you want me to check any other Oakville/Burlington/Mississauga cars for you. As you saw in the other thread, I'm happy to do that for a fellow enthusiast. I'm a car nerd, so it's fun, and RS4s are always nice to check out. I can even log the car and check on the motor's strength and see if there are any codes hiding.

Just let me know. Only takes 10-20 mins!

(Audi midtown is a bit far from me unfortunately)
Old 05-05-2012, 06:34 PM
Banned

one other thing...I'd try hard to find one that still has a warranty on it. Like the original warranty (4yrs, 80,000 kms). I say this because if you have a problem, and you have a warranty, you take it to the dealer, and get it fixed for free. If you have a problem and don't have a warranty, you might just say '**** it' and sell the car. Lots of the cars that are out there have problems that the previous owner didn't want to fix (or did a half assed job of fixing).

It's tough now as 2008 RS4s are pretty much all either out of warranty, or are just about to be. I would seriously try hard to find one that's still in. Mine expires in 7 days. I then have CPO since I bought from a dealer.

To that end...two cars I looked at when buying were at PFAFF a good dealer up in Newmarket. One was really nice. The other was a ****box I would never have wished upon my worst enemy. I'm sure they cleaned it up nice but that car was in terrible shape when I saw it. Just know that, like the car lounge car, they shine up real nice, but do your best to get a car with a known history.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Let me know if you want me to check any other Oakville/Burlington/Mississauga cars for you. As you saw in the other thread, I'm happy to do that for a fellow enthusiast. I'm a car nerd, so it's fun, and RS4s are always nice to check out. I can even log the car and check on the motor's strength and see if there are any codes hiding.
Thanks very much for the offer. I think I'll be checking out the Mid-town car to see how it looks and I may take you up on your offer if it doesn't work out.

I'm an ex-Burlingtonian myself. Beautiful city and I miss it but I don't miss the traffic... lol.
Thanks again!
Old 05-06-2012, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

one other thing...I'd try hard to find one that still has a warranty on it. Like the original warranty (4yrs, 80,000 kms). I say this because if you have a problem, and you have a warranty, you take it to the dealer, and get it fixed for free. If you have a problem and don't have a warranty, you might just say '**** it' and sell the car. Lots of the cars that are out there have problems that the previous owner didn't want to fix (or did a half assed job of fixing).

It's tough now as 2008 RS4s are pretty much all either out of warranty, or are just about to be. I would seriously try hard to find one that's still in. Mine expires in 7 days. I then have CPO since I bought from a dealer.

To that end...two cars I looked at when buying were at PFAFF a good dealer up in Newmarket. One was really nice. The other was a ****box I would never have wished upon my worst enemy. I'm sure they cleaned it up nice but that car was in terrible shape when I saw it. Just know that, like the car lounge car, they shine up real nice, but do your best to get a car with a known history.
Sage advice. As warranted cars are dwindling, the search will only get more difficult. Typical in the life cycle of any car model though.

Last edited by G35Dalf; 05-06-2012 at 08:32 AM.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:23 AM
Banned

Thanks very much for the offer. I think I'll be checking out the Mid-town car to see how it looks and I may take you up on your offer if it doesn't work out.

I'm an ex-Burlingtonian myself. Beautiful city and I miss it but I don't miss the traffic... lol.
Thanks again!
funny, they added a high occupancy vehicle lane in both directions on the qew from Ford Dr. to Brant St. and it has full alleviated the rush hour gridlock. It's not perfect, but rather than going 10 km/h, you can now cruise across that section (basically all of oakville/burlington) at 100km/h average.

searching for a car in warranty is tough, but not impossible. CPO is almost just as good. IS the midtown car CPO?
Old 05-07-2012, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

I worked downtown under the CN Tower (RBFG) for years and I basically lived on the QEW. Don't miss it a bit. That's amazing about the HOV lane. It was a mess when I was there. Any time of day or night, there was traffic. And if there was an accident, everything dumped onto highway 5. Ugh.

Is the midtown car CPO?
Yes it is and extended warranty until Aug 2013 - which is great IMHO.

Last edited by G35Dalf; 05-07-2012 at 04:24 PM.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:08 AM
Banned

I worked downtown under the CN Tower (RBFG) for years and I basically lived on the QEW. Don't miss it a bit. That's amazing about the HOV lane. It was a mess when I was there. Any time of day or night, there was traffic. And if there was an accident, everything dumped onto highway 5. Ugh.

Yes it is and extended warranty until Aug 2013 - which is great IMHO.
any update? ensurall has a decent looking aftermarket extended warranty in case you're looking
Old 05-26-2012, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

any update? ensurall has a decent looking aftermarket extended warranty in case you're looking
Hey sakimano, unfortunately work has delayed me.
The car at MidTown was gone before I could arrange to see it. The search is temporarily postponed for now, but I will be back at it soon. I'll look in ensurall at that point as well (thanks for the tip) and thanks for checking...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Approach to buying an RS4