RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Before I slam these guys:

Old 12-08-2009, 04:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Before I slam these guys:

I wanted to check with the experts. I brought my RS4 in for the 25K service to the dealers. Now I know a little about cars but don't have experience with high performance maintenance issues. I complained about a front brake squeak at low speeds, having already checked the pads and didn't see any debris or uneven wear. They told me I will just need to replace the pads soon (perhaps), and the rotors. Are you kidding me? The rotors aren't warped and this car has no track time, just aggressive street driving. I never heard anything so ridiculous. Or am I off base?
Old 12-08-2009, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NapAir
I wanted to check with the experts. I brought my RS4 in for the 25K service to the dealers. Now I know a little about cars but don't have experience with high performance maintenance issues. I complained about a front brake squeak at low speeds, having already checked the pads and didn't see any debris or uneven wear. They told me I will just need to replace the pads soon (perhaps), and the rotors. Are you kidding me? The rotors aren't warped and this car has no track time, just aggressive street driving. I never heard anything so ridiculous. Or am I off base?
How else will they fund the coffee, flat screen TV's and fancy diggs ?? j/k

The OEM pads are known to score the rotors when they wear down (prior to the brake warning light going off). Dealers tend to suggest replacement of rotors at the same time as pads whether or not you need to ... Are your rotors smooth ? If they are and have enough material then just replace the pads. If you're considering a second opinion and want to go to aftermarket pads, check out these guys: http://www.zeckhausen.com/Audi/RS4.htm

Last edited by Stevelev; 12-08-2009 at 05:45 AM.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Most likely you need to add some anti squeeking compound to the back of the pads. Possible clean everything up with brake cleaner. if you have many cycles of aggressive braking lots of caked in brake dust maybe all over the braking system.

you may also need to rebed your brakes.

http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

For a high performance car like the RS I am not surprised they would just replace everything to the tune of a couple grand(more if they replace the rears as well). That would bring the brakes to like new condition.

Now if you are not comfortable with all that you may want to have a second opinion from another dealership or a trusted mechanic.

cheers

Nick
Old 12-08-2009, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by titsataki
Most likely you need to add some anti squeeking compound to the back of the pads. Possible clean everything up with brake cleaner. if you have many cycles of aggressive braking lots of caked in brake dust maybe all over the braking system.

you may also need to rebed your brakes.

http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

For a high performance car like the RS I am not surprised they would just replace everything to the tune of a couple grand(more if they replace the rears as well). That would bring the brakes to like new condition.

Now if you are not comfortable with all that you may want to have a second opinion from another dealership or a trusted mechanic.

cheers

Nick
Per Nick's recomendation, I changed my OEM pads with Centric Posi Quiet Semi-Metallic pads from http://www.zeckhausen.com/Audi/RS4.htm

I couldn't be happier. Virtually no dust compared to the OEM pads & the best part; you can get both front & rear pads for around 200-
Old 12-08-2009, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

I changed my pads too with the Centric - but 25K is about the time the OEM pads go on this car. Some people had them go out in 12K miles. The wear sensors do not work well with these pads and people had to replace the rotors too as the metal backing wore into the rotor. The fact that the OEM pads are squeaking is not a good sign - these pads are so soft they do not squeal
Old 12-08-2009, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Like had already been said, squeaking might be the pad's metal pins becoming exposed. Mine did that at about 28,000 miles, even though there was 1/2 of the pad still left. Switching to Centric Posi all the way around is the path I took as well. I'm pretty happy so far. Initial bite, cold bite, wet... all are very good. I haven't tested them very hard yet so don't know about that aspect.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just ordered the Stop-Tech pads. I'll let you know what I think.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Thanks for the replies.

I will check out all these options. The rotors are starting to groove in the front a little.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by NapAir
I will check out all these options. The rotors are starting to groove in the front a little.
Change out those pads quick before they ruin your expensive rotors!
Old 12-10-2009, 03:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Already grooved

The front rotors are already grooved a bit. Is it too late to just change out the pads or should I chalk up the rotors as well? I am a little astonished the OEM pads could groove the rotors after only 20k miles in a car that's never been on a track.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Before I slam these guys: