RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Best Coilovers for our cars?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Coilovers for our cars?

Guys I'm looking to get a set of coilovers but I'm looking to get the ones with the best ride quality. I don't do any road racing or track the car...any recommendations? Also any good deals out there or someone selling a set?
Old 05-06-2009, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hotazlava32
Guys I'm looking to get a set of coilovers but I'm looking to get the ones with the best ride quality. I don't do any road racing or track the car...any recommendations? Also any good deals out there or someone selling a set?
All coilovers will make ride harsher. Best results will be with Stasis Motorsport with the Normal Street spring rates. They are not cheap however. You can't have it all.....better handling, good ride and low price.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Vijay
All coilovers will make ride harsher. Best results will be with Stasis Motorsport with the Normal Street spring rates. They are not cheap however. You can't have it all.....better handling, good ride and low price.
Stasis has two versions and KW also has two versions.

Any of them would be a superb choice. The best advice I can give is to ride in cars with different setups knowing in advance how you'll use your car (i.e 98% street, 2% track)

I have KW Ver 3's on my daily driver RS4 and have tracked it a few times. I'm very happy.

Don't forget to add a rear sway bar and stickier tires, and go wider i.e. 275 30 19. Stickier tires like Potenza Re11's or similar...anything with a treadwear of LESS than 180 should be just about right.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by craiglieberman
...anything with a treadwear of LESS than 180 should be just about right.
Less then 180 is a treadwaer of a marshmallow isn't it?

I like my STaSIS SL's for all around driving..... They can get a bit harsh on crappy roads but that's pretty much all sport suspensions. Give me a nice well maintained country road, interstate, or even a long sweeping on ramp and I’m all smiles.<O</O
Old 05-06-2009, 01:12 PM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 222 Likes on 180 Posts
Default There are some great choices out there...

however I am bias towards STaSIS products having used them and worked with them. The heart of both the Motorsport and Ohlins SL systems are the most technologically advanced dampers (shocks) you can put on an RS4. Keeping the ride smooth and hospitable while flattening out and curbing movement on such a heavy car is a tough trick, however with the Ohlins dampers this is accomplished by having two circuits built into the damper. A low speed circuit handles loading forces such as cornering and braking while a high speed circuit handles quick hits like train tracks, potholes, uneven surfaces, etc. The reaction time of the damper with the high speed circuit allows it to react to sharp hits and control relatively high spring rates (higher by quite a bit than any other system) which gives a firm yet comfortable ride.

The Motorsport system is a bit more advanced and the dampers are adjustable, however it sounds like you might be a perfect canidate for an Ohlins SL system. This has the benefits of the advanced dampers without the adjustability, which is usually only needed for folks doing dual duty (street and track). You can learn more details by visiting:
Europrice - A4, S4, RS4 [B7] Parts (Click on the second package down on the right hand, a pop up will appear)

If you have questions or would like special Audiworld pricing let me know at: contact@europrice.us

Cheers,

Old 05-06-2009, 07:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by hotazlava32
What are you looking for? Lower ride height? Flatter cornering?

I don't know, I would not have considered changing the suspension if I was not going to track the car, but that is just me. I have Stasis MS set soft on the road, and I like it better than stock. But I don't think the difference would be worth it for the road only.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

I love my KW V3's .... Your in Brooklyn right??

My friend owns a shop on Staten Island that did my install and is doing another RS4 KW setup soon...
PM me for the info on his shop
Old 05-07-2009, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

I just want to drop the car a bit and the fact that the DRC sucks...I'd like to get a set of coilovers.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

i love my kw v3's as well
Old 05-09-2009, 03:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Stasis MS are obviously the top of the heap......

The question becomes, which is next best for the elusive ride/handling compromise....Stasis SL or KW V3.

I have 3 goals:

to lower SLIGHTLY (26" ride height)
get rid of a bit of the that floaty feeling
make cornering just a little flatter.

I want to preserve ride quality over bumpy pavement as much as possible. While I can afford the MS, I certainly don't want to have to spend that kind of money if there is going to be little to no added value for me. This is not a track car.

Interestingly, MTM uses KW V3 and that is a good endoresment in my book.