RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Bluetooth and "S" button...

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 11:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bluetooth and "S" button...

Hi everyone. Not related question, but I thought I would ask two questions under one thread. Hope that's okay...

Well, I just purchased my first Audi...a '07 RS4 with 14K miles on it. LOVE IT. I've owned a few BMWs prior.

Anyways, this is somewhat of a "lazy" question, but can someone here please show me how to set up my iPhone with Audi Nav/Bluetooth phone function? I tried it, but the "voice" keeps saying, "no phone book" available.

Secondly, do you guys drive with the "S" button on usually? Are there any negatives to always driving with this button on. If not, I don't see why one wouldn't drive with it on all the time. I love the exhaust note coming from the RS4.

Thanks again everyone.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Congrats on the new car, you'll love it. iPhone is a bit, meh, when it comes to being a phone. It probably doesn't give full function for phonebook etc. Sport mode just gives a bit more agressive throttle response and opens the exhaust valve a bit more often in the rev range.
Check your fancy DRC dampers for leaks, that's the top issue.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by GotRS?
iPhone is a bit, meh, when it comes to being a phone. It probably doesn't give full function for phonebook etc.
iPhone does fully sync with the car and give you phonebook, dialled/received/missed calls. It also shows the signal strength and the BT icon on the RNS-E.

It can give slightly irregular behaviour though like a brief buzzing noise when initiating a call and a loud connection tone.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by GotRS?
Congrats on the new car, you'll love it. iPhone is a bit, meh, when it comes to being a phone. It probably doesn't give full function for phonebook etc. Sport mode just gives a bit more agressive throttle response and opens the exhaust valve a bit more often in the rev range.
Check your fancy DRC dampers for leaks, that's the top issue.
Thank you. The previous owner just did the 15K maintenance check at 10K miles. I bought the car with only 14xxx miles on it. Based on Audi's dealership records, he had one of the shocks replaced b/c it was "wet". I didn't see anything about the DRC dampers...or is that the same thing? Sorry for the newb question. If that are entirely different things, then I will definitely have the DRC dampers checked. I figured that they would have picked that up at the last maintenance check?!
Old 08-31-2009, 11:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

BTW,
I was coming from a 2005 BMW 330 ci with the performance package (ZHP). I was a member on a few bmw forums. Once I mentioned that I switched to an Audi, a got a lot of people chimming in on how I would regret switching to an Audi...reliability issues blah blah blah. Of course, comparisons to the new M3s were abundant as well. Why can't we marvel and appreciate BOTH the RS4 AND the M3?
Old 09-01-2009, 06:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by cni2i
BTW,
I was coming from a 2005 BMW 330 ci with the performance package (ZHP). I was a member on a few bmw forums. Once I mentioned that I switched to an Audi, a got a lot of people chimming in on how I would regret switching to an Audi...reliability issues blah blah blah. Of course, comparisons to the new M3s were abundant as well. Why can't we marvel and appreciate BOTH the RS4 AND the M3?
I have owned BMW's and Audi's. My last BMW was a 2001 530i. It was a nice car and fairly reliable, in fact my brother-in-law still drives it. I replaced it with a 2006 S4 and now a 2008 RS4. I had the S4 for 4 years and 70K miles and it was the most reliable car I ever owned. I would not worry too much about reliablity by brand. All manufacturers have models that are better then others and quite frankly they are all pretty good these days.

A lot of people want their cars to define them so if you do not agree with them then there is something wrong with you. The M3 is a great car. I almost bought one instead of the RS4. The dual clutch is an excellent machine but I did not like the manual. It has an odd clutch take up that, for me, would lead to clutch issues or knee surgery. I enjoy driving a stick and I just love the RS4. Also I would recommend joining the ACNA. A great group of people that like to have fun without being overly agressive unlike some groups.

I hope you love your new car and it is a great experience for you.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thank you. The previous owner just did the 15K maintenance check at 10K miles. I bought the car with only 14xxx miles on it. Based on Audi's dealership records, he had one of the shocks replaced b/c it was "wet". I didn't see anything about the DRC dampers...or is that the same thing? Sorry for the newb question. If that are entirely different things, then I will definitely have the DRC dampers checked. I figured that they would have picked that up at the last maintenance check?!
Yes, Dynamic Ride Control, aka fancy shocks which unfortunately can leak out the pressurized fluid. Shame really, clever system. Very popular to change out the whole system for Stasis or KW V3.

Oh yeah, sorry to dis the iphone, sounds like it should work as well as any other for your address book.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by benonj
I have owned BMW's and Audi's. My last BMW was a 2001 530i. It was a nice car and fairly reliable, in fact my brother-in-law still drives it. I replaced it with a 2006 S4 and now a 2008 RS4. I had the S4 for 4 years and 70K miles and it was the most reliable car I ever owned. I would not worry too much about reliablity by brand. All manufacturers have models that are better then others and quite frankly they are all pretty good these days.

A lot of people want their cars to define them so if you do not agree with them then there is something wrong with you. The M3 is a great car. I almost bought one instead of the RS4. The dual clutch is an excellent machine but I did not like the manual. It has an odd clutch take up that, for me, would lead to clutch issues or knee surgery. I enjoy driving a stick and I just love the RS4. Also I would recommend joining the ACNA. A great group of people that like to have fun without being overly agressive unlike some groups.

I hope you love your new car and it is a great experience for you.
There is no reason why we can't appreciate both the RS4 AND the M3. But I know there are a lot of BMW fans who insist that Audi's are just overpriced VW's. Obviously, it really doesn't matter to me...otherwise, I wouldn't have purchased the RS4. I love the RS4 for its simplistic beauty and driving thrill factor. I also like the fact that it's a "rarer" car.

On that note...I read some where that only 1000 or so RS4s were made in the first year?! That doesn't sound right. Can anyone confirm that?
Old 09-01-2009, 10:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

There is no reason why we can't appreciate both the RS4 AND the M3. But I know there are a lot of BMW fans who insist that Audi's are just overpriced VW's. Obviously, it really doesn't matter to me...otherwise, I wouldn't have purchased the RS4. I love the RS4 for its simplistic beauty and driving thrill factor. I also like the fact that it's a "rarer" car.

On that note...I read some where that only 1000 or so RS4s were made in the first year?! That doesn't sound right. Can anyone confirm that?

~2700
Old 09-02-2009, 09:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Ragdoll
~2700
Thanks! Is that number just for the US, or is that the total number?

Quick Reply: Bluetooth and "S" button...