RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

buyback time?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 08:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buyback time?

i've brought by 08 with 15K miles in 4 times for CEL causing misfires, requiring decarboning and valve cleaning. should i be thinking about buyback - lemon-ing it?
thanks.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Four times, wow. What is the misfire attributed to? Injector clog?
Old 03-26-2009, 09:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Lemon law only pertains to safety issues that can endanger your life. At least it's that way in california.
Old 03-27-2009, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by nugent
i've brought by 08 with 15K miles in 4 times for CEL causing misfires, requiring decarboning and valve cleaning. should i be thinking about buyback - lemon-ing it?
thanks.
They didn't change sparkplugs or coil packs?

2 coil packs and 2 plugs fixed my problem.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by nugent
thanks.
Depends on your state's laws and how badly you want the car. Some states like California will lemon the car if it's out of service for 30 days no matter what - even if it's sitting on the lot waiting for a part from Germany (a friend of mine had this happen with his S4).

Do you have the Repair Orders showing the same repair 4 times, as well as the time out of service?

Would you want a different RS4, or just to walk away from the car?
Old 03-31-2009, 09:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

I've seen many a car bought back for constant/recurring CELs - from Fords to AMG Benzes. Some have even argued that the yellow dash light is a safety hazard and causes driver distraction. Pretty crazy, huh? General rule of thumb is what the guys above said - cumulative days out of service (usually around 30 depending on the state)

I'd call AoA and open a case. What type of fuel are you using in the car?
Old 04-01-2009, 08:58 AM

4 times for the same fault??? Def a lemon. Check your state rules, but you have full grounds to Lemon it, safety or no safety issues, as it is a problem AofA repeatedly failed to remedy. Maybe Cali is diiff and it has to be a safety issue, but you can skin that cat many ways and make it one! The first yr the 7-series came out a plethora of cars were lemoned due to dash lighting up with a Xmas tree with all sorts of electrical and other gremlins that may not have had safety repurcussions necessarily, but BMW lemoned them all.

It is a lengthy (and emotionally strenuous) process though, so be prepared for a lasting (and perhaps ugly) battle with AofA. You should have opened a case after your 3rd try, the 4th would have been their last attempt to fix it and you would have won your case by now. Essentially now they have more chance to address it. Here in my state, you have up to 18K miles to do it (or 18 months, whichever comes first) so check your laws because your miles are up there. I am one more DRC leak away for triggering it myself should I choose to...
Old 04-01-2009, 05:12 PM

I wouldn't call it a lemon if they didn't do anything but clean the valves..... dam they must not have a VAG computer to tell it what cylinders are misfiring. Tell them to change the coilpacks and sparkplugs on those cylinders before you think you have real problems.

You need to find a competent technician.

This is just
Old 04-04-2009, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I am in the same boat...

I have been in 5 times.

1. Changed Spark Plugs
2. Changed Coils
3. Cleaned Carbon Buildup
4. Said could not replicate the misfire.
5. Said it was 2 of the Injectors (Have to order them)
5. This Monday I go in for the Injectors to be changed.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default suggested course of action

1. Review the laws in your state. Depending on your location your car may or may not qualify as a lemon. Laws vary and have different times out of service and safety defect and vehicle nonconformity requirements.

2. Contact AofA TODAY (okay, Monday) in writing to get the process started of a formal complaint regarding vehicle non-conformity. Call AofA and get the fax number and address. It is important that you get that complaint process started as early as possible should you ultimately pursue buy back.

3. If you choose to go the lemon route, and your vehicle qualifies under the laws of your state, I would advise discussing vehicle buyback with AofA prior to actually filing for lemon compensation. It is often easier and faster to discuss this with a manufacturer than feed the lawyers. If your case is strong, they will talk.

4. You need to think about what you want here. Do you want it fixed right? Do you want another RS4? Do you want your money back and get into a different vehicle? You need to have a clear goal in your mind prior to acting. All of these paths are facilitated by contacting AofA in writing.

Quick Reply: buyback time?