RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Buyer Beware - Canada

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 05:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buyer Beware - Canada

We've been in the market for a low km B7 RS4 for a few months now. It was a couple weeks back that I came accross a "too good to be true" deal on an 08 with under 30k km on a well known Canadian used car web-site.

I qucikly contacted the seller and learned the vehicle was in the US. The seller (representing Double Eagle Motors in Phoenix AZ) told me the car was in Canada, after a deal fell through, so they advertised it here...couldn't sell it quick enough and returned it to the US.

OK fine, I thought (growing even more suspicious of the whole thing), the price was so good that even after import taxes etc., it was still a good deal.

I told the 'sales manager' that I had to confirm the condition of the car first so I lined up a friend in AZ to come by and look at the car. I never heard back from the sales manager again, even after 2 e-mails and 2 voice-mails. My friend went by the dealers address and it didn't exist.

I filed a complaint with the Canadian web-site that advertised the car and just this morning I read this:

http://www.autogo.ca/en/news/industr...yers-in-canada

So beware my fellow Canadians.

Now. Back to my search.

And for those interested in seeing this 'phantom' car, go here:
http://www.doubleeaglemotorsarizona....-liter-105.php

Last edited by fireguy40; 10-30-2013 at 06:00 AM.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by fireguy40
We've been in the market for a low km B7 RS4 for a few months now. It was a couple weeks back that I came accross a "too good to be true" deal on an 08 with under 30k km on a well known Canadian used car web-site.

I qucikly contacted the seller and learned the vehicle was in the US. The seller (representing Double Eagle Motors in Phoenix AZ) told me the car was in Canada, after a deal fell through, so they advertised it here...couldn't sell it quick enough and returned it to the US.

OK fine, I thought (growing even more suspicious of the whole thing), the price was so good that even after import taxes etc., it was still a good deal.

I told the 'sales manager' that I had to confirm the condition of the car first so I lined up a friend in AZ to come by and look at the car. I never heard back from the sales manager again, even after 2 e-mails and 2 voice-mails. My friend went by the dealers address and it didn't exist.

I filed a complaint with the Canadian web-site that advertised the car and just this morning I read this:

http://www.autogo.ca/en/news/industr...yers-in-canada

So beware my fellow Canadians.

Now. Back to my search.

And for those interested in seeing this 'phantom' car, go here:
http://www.doubleeaglemotorsarizona....-liter-105.php
I am sure there are opposite cases too for US customers - anytime you buy things from a different country it is hard to verify the truth.

Glad you were doing your due diligence
Old 10-30-2013, 02:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I absolutely agree, Reggie. In no way had I intended to imply this is something canucks alone need concern themselves with - scams like this know no boundaries (or borders!).

I hope, and trust, the message here is due diligence pays off...or at least protects our hard earned dollars.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by fireguy40
I absolutely agree, Reggie. In no way had I intended to imply this is something canucks alone need concern themselves with - scams like this know no boundaries (or borders!).

I hope, and trust, the message here is due diligence pays off...or at least protects our hard earned dollars.
I didn't mean to infer that - sorry if I did - and yes I got took by someone in Florida who got my Sirius module because I did not look at his background on the forum.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

These crazy scamers are getting better every year, I have fallen for a few but never lost much money. Best advice I can give everyone is to buy everything with a credit card, because you can dispute the charges with your CC in the event you don't get what you paid for, etc. I have disputed multiple charges over the years from vendors trying to screw me over and as long as everything on your end is in order the charges will get removed from your statement and pushed back to the Vendor.

If they won't credit cards than be even more suspicious.