RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

close to a purchase but looking for some feedback

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 07:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
Default close to a purchase but looking for some feedback

Hi folks,

I'm close to a purchase on a 07 RS4. I have the full documented history of the car from the owner and the current dealer has provided me all the preventivie maintenance which has been done. Here are the facts:

It has 80K miles, 85K maintenance has been completed. It is bone stock and during the 85K mile service the following was done:

4 new tires, oil change, serpentine belt replaced, left motor mount replaced, front left inner & outer CV boot replaced.

What do you all think the cost of the work performed is?

Also, here are some concerns: front brakes have 7mm and rear have 9mm, when do i have to think about replacement?

Lastly, under heavy acceleration I noticed cluth slippage...is that normal and if not, what do you all think a new clutch would cost and what should a I replace it with...this is a daily driver and will have VERY minimal track days.

BTW, the car can be had for $33K...what do you all think?
Old 01-11-2012, 09:30 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by raj99
Hi folks,

I'm close to a purchase on a 07 RS4. I have the full documented history of the car from the owner and the current dealer has provided me all the preventivie maintenance which has been done. Here are the facts:

It has 80K miles, 85K maintenance has been completed. It is bone stock and during the 85K mile service the following was done:

4 new tires, oil change, serpentine belt replaced, left motor mount replaced, front left inner & outer CV boot replaced.

Also, here are some concerns: front brakes have 7mm and rear have 9mm, when do i have to think about replacement?

Lastly, under heavy acceleration I noticed cluth slippage...is that normal and if not, what do you all think a new clutch would cost and what should a I replace it with...this is a daily driver and will have VERY minimal track days.

You will need a clutch. That is costly. Do a search here and in QW and you will find postings about what others paid.I think a friend paid US$6K.

That said - not sure about the brake spec. Would have to look it up but it seems that US$2K might be what a dealer will charge - again a quick search here and QW will show what other have paid.

The price seem very low but when you add in the cost of what you need. it puts it at same price as others for sale.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I agree that the price of the car is low...but that is totally based on the fact that the dealer KNOWS it needs a new clutch and new brakes soon. So it'll be aroudn $40K when all in. Which i'm fine with for a car that's going to last me.

What do folks receommend for a clutch? OEM? I was looking at a stage 2 or 3, any specific recommendations on those?

Thanks
Old 01-12-2012, 05:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have personal experience with aftermarket clutches in my RS4(yet), but I've heard lots of good reviews for the JHM stage 3 and 4 clutches. If you don't plan on tracking your car at all really, I think the JHM stage 3 clutch and lightweight flywheel would serve your needs well.

The stock clutch would work just fine for you too but the stock clutch/flywheel from the dealer will cost a lot more than the JHM offering. I think you'd be better off upgrading while you're in there, and saving some money while you're at it. I wouldnt look anywhere other than JHM if you plan on going aftermarket.

As far as brakes, if you're mechanically inclined that's a job you can do yourself and save a ton on labour. Stock rotors are excellent. You could also look at JHM's lightweight rotors which are cheaper than the OEM's. Again, just an option if you want an upgrade for cheaper than OEM.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

OEM clutch is fine for street and very light track use. Karsty is right that dealer cost will be high. Look for a aftermarket shop in your area that knows Audis. You can look on the local forums here or on QW for recommendations.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

I got a quote from a local Audi/VW tuning shop for $900 on labor for the clutch and flywheel. The JHM is about $1,500 so not too bad overall. (The difference in acceleration through the rpm range is pretty impressive). I tried to get some opinions on the clutch feel and the overall feedback was pretty good. I tend to go with the stoptech brake pads which are about $350. The posiquiet produce almost no dust and so so braking power. The street performance are great on braking but will fill your rotors with brake dust every week. I paid about $300 on labor to put in the pads and rotors. The JHM lightweight rotors are about $1,000 so should be under $4,500 for all that stuff. If you use the dealer you should multiple my labor costs by 2-3 times. I remember they charged me $500 to install the new pads in order for me to drive the car off the lot with CPO on it. The stock parts are probably about 50% more as well so $6-7k to go stock with dealer labor is probably about right.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

When do you notice the slippage? Sometimes it will feel like it's slipping (or bogging) down on a hard 2nd to 3rd upshift. From what I understand, this is normal. It happened on all three RS4s I test drove, each with less than 30,000 miles. I've found that this issue goes away if I make an effort to be smoother with the clutch or if I turn off the traction control.

Then again, if you're noticing slippage at other times, it's probably the clutch.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by raj99
Hi folks,

i disagree with others, an RS4 with 85k miles for $33k does not seem like a good deal at all knowing there are some out there with 50-60k miles for under $40k. i think in the long run you would be better off dollar for dollar with a lower mileage car.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I'd be interested in a great shape 07/08 RS4 for under $40K...care to share some of these?
Old 01-13-2012, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Now that I own one, and have an interest in higher prices for RS4's...I'm going to say you'll have to spend much more than $40k for a decent car with under 50k miles

Go to Autotrader, there were 55 listed accross the country last time I checked. Good Luck!

Quick Reply: close to a purchase but looking for some feedback