RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Clunk sound from front passenger side suspension over humps - sign of DRC failure?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clunk sound from front passenger side suspension over humps - sign of DRC failure?

I noticed over the last couple of weeks that anytime I go through a rough bump (say going more than 2 mph over a school zone street hump), I hear a clunk/Knock sound coming from the front passenger side suspension. I inspected the shocks (granted not on a lift) and couldn't see signs of leakage, but again my view is somewhat compromised as I had the wheel mounted. Any ideas if this indeed could be a shock issue?

Going to the $tealer for an oil change in a week, so will have it checked, but want to be prepared to battle should they say DRC is not covered (car is turning 1 yr next month).
Old 11-19-2008, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Check your milltek exhaust. I had the same symptoms and thought it was DRC...

and it turned out DRC was fine and instead it was a loosened milltek exhaust clamp or something or other that caused it to bang around at bumps making the sound you describe. Dealer told it must have come loose when I drove the car spiritedly. Makes sense, I only took it to the track like 1 or 10 times after the milltek install

Hopefully that's all it is in your case.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think the clunk is pretty common and NOT an indication of DRC failure
Old 11-20-2008, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I had a clunk from front passenger over humps.... Looked at my shock and it was covered in oil...

DRC failure for me!
Old 11-21-2008, 11:17 AM

Default I'll check both exhaust and shock again. Maybe it's me, but

it feels more frequent now. Def coming out of the front passenger side. Appt with dealer is in a week, so will def have it checked out.

Per sparkhill's comment, given that I never had it before, and is showing up on one side of the car, it def is not normal or common. Something is awry...

zachf88, did you take your wheel out to see the DRC leak or was it so obvious by just looking through/around it?
Old 01-26-2009, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Re: Clunk sound from front passenger side suspension over humps - sign of DRC failure?

I just had my car at the local dealer in Calgary - Royal Oak Audi. The shop foreman came for a ride with me and identified that there was an issue. They spent the morning putting sound monitors on the suspension, checking the bushings,exhaust etc. Audi Canada finally called them off around noon and told them to test drive the next RS4 that comes in to determine if this is a "normal" noise. Mine "clunks" on the de-compression side when dropping off bumps or onto shaved pavement where there is a 3 - 4" drop. It's done this since new and can either be left or right or in stereo depending on the bump. I have 20 K km.