RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Clutch Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 02:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Problems

Has anyone had issues with the clutch pedal not engaging? My RS4 with 4100 miles had to be put on a flatbed tow truck yesterday as it wouldnt go all the way into gear. It felt like something broke at around 25mph in 2nd gear. Had to role the windows down on the way home because the smell was so strong. The dealership said they are checking the on-board computer for abuse before they agree to warranty.
Old 12-05-2006, 02:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default There is a TSB on the clutch vacuum assist hose.

If your RS4 is one of the earlier group to come over, this needed to be replaced.
Old 12-05-2006, 03:16 PM

Default Re: There is a TSB on the clutch vacuum assist hose.

Yes, my car was one of the first RS4's in the US. Was this a re-call? Also, how do you determin if this damaged the clutch?
Old 12-05-2006, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Then the hose should have been changed

The problem was fixed for new vehicles arriving in the country. As a result, there was some sort of internal service memo, and not any sort of recall. Your dealer can check with AoA. I had mine replaced at the 5K service and the clutch operation was like night and day.

The hose problem will not damage the clutch itself. But the way that yours seems to have failed might have burnt the clutch pressure plates. If your dealer gives you grief, just tell them that they should have repaired the vacuum hose before it became such a huge problem.

IIRC there is another guy on the forum that had his clutch blow up, through no fault of his own.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:23 AM

Default My dealer said they were instructed to only replace the hose if there was a demonstrated problem

They were not told to replace the hoses on all early RS4s.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Probably a bad call by AoA
Old 12-06-2006, 11:57 AM

Default Re: Probably a bad call by AoA

Agreed...either it's a defective designed hose, or it's not...unless they have already designed a new part that is making it into later production cars. This is one of those things where the dealer is being lax, I think.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Probably a bad call by AoA

They have a new part that is in all new cars. I expect some dealers don't want to replace it, since they have to drop the motor and transmission to get to it. It's about a 1 1/2 day job.

Anyone that has an early model ought to test they clutch hard and try to make it fail. For a while mine worked just fine. Then one day, I hit the clutch hard, and the next shift I was met with a clutch petal that was hard as a rock. I missed that shift big time. What I found is that you can replicate the problem with the car at standstill. Just take the transmission out of gear, hit the clutch petal as fast and as hard as possible. When the vacuum line colapses, it won't move under hard pressure.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:58 PM

Default I was referring to...

a new part making it into the newer production cars on assembly line, not a new part available to dealers...but, same difference I suppose.

They know of the problem but wait until an owner of a new $70k RS4 is actually freaking out on the road because his clutch is schizo???!!! What a nice way to assure new owners of customer satisfaction and an excellent driving experience, NOT!

Same ol, same ol...don't like to admit to a problem, let the buyer beware...then fess up when they're in your face with the tow truck idling outside. Idiotic, IMO.
Old 12-06-2006, 02:59 PM

my dealer said "you have to mention it" then they will do it......similar I guess

Quick Reply: Clutch Problems