RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Considering Selling the RS4 - What do you think it's worth?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering Selling the RS4 - What do you think it's worth?

I'm recently separated and am trying to cut living expenses, so unfortunately, I'm considering selling the RS4. What do you think I should list as an asking price? It's hard to get a good idea of pricing on these cars because there are so few of them available that Edmunds.com TrueValue pricing might not be as accurate as it is for higher volume cars. Also, when I look on AutoTrader, all the dealers have their prices jacked up so high, so those aren't a good guide either.

Here is some more info:
• 2007 RS4, Daytona Gray
•*61,000 miles
• Great condition, inside and out (see attached pic)
•*AWE Exhaust, quad tips, resonated version
• Just had Audi's "major" service done at 55,000, included a real carbon clean
• I bought it in August 2010, CPO from an Audi dealer, with 29,500 miles
• All work has been done by the dealer, mostly scheduled maintenance, no real repairs
• Will need brakes soon
• Will throw in set of Pirelli Sottozero winter tires, as well as a barely used set of Hankook V12 summer tires
•*Current tires are Michelin Super Sports, mounted new in March or this year

So... I'm on the fence about selling it. What do you think I should ask for it?
Attached Images  
Old 10-14-2012, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This belongs in the classifieds, then you could provide a link here which is allowable.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Okay, how do I move it?
Old 10-15-2012, 03:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Put an ad in the classified section and you'll be good. And good luck with the sale. Sorry - forum rules, not mine.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ELEVENS
Put an ad in the classified section and you'll be good. And good luck with the sale. Sorry - forum rules, not mine.
Will do. But it's not really for sale yet. I'm just trying to ask forum members how much they think it's worth. Depending on what they say, I might decide to put it up for sale, I might not. Is that still against the forum rules?
Old 10-17-2012, 08:18 AM
Banned

I think it's fine to have this in the main forum. Without it, there wouldn't be any new updates lol.

As for what your car is worth, I would think it should start with a 3...

I made a thread recently on audirevolution.net where i posted up manheim SOLD prices for RS4s. I'll dig it up.

edit here you go. $32-35,000 at auctions. Probbaly where you'd settle wiht a buyer. Ask $37 maybe? .

DO NOT include the tires and exhaust. Sell the exhaust on the classifieds and craigslist for $600. Sell the summer tires for $600. Sell the winters for whatever you can. That stuff will add maybe 10% of that amount to the deal. If you're selling an RS4 with nearly new Michelins, that's enough. Those other tires are going to be a waste of money if you include them because they won't drive the price up and won't help the deal much.

Last edited by sakimano; 10-17-2012 at 08:24 AM.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by sakimano
I think it's fine to have this in the main forum. Without it, there wouldn't be any new updates lol.

As for what your car is worth, I would think it should start with a 3...

I made a thread recently on audirevolution.net where i posted up manheim SOLD prices for RS4s. I'll dig it up.

edit here you go. $32-35,000 at auctions. Probbaly where you'd settle wiht a buyer. Ask $37 maybe? .

DO NOT include the tires and exhaust. Sell the exhaust on the classifieds and craigslist for $600. Sell the summer tires for $600. Sell the winters for whatever you can. That stuff will add maybe 10% of that amount to the deal. If you're selling an RS4 with nearly new Michelins, that's enough. Those other tires are going to be a waste of money if you include them because they won't drive the price up and won't help the deal much.

Thanks for this info - very useful. It was inline with my thinking. I guess, if I do decide to sell it, I might go with something in the high 30's. I think I have to leave the exhaust on though as I don't have the original exhaust anymore. It was too large for them to ship it back to me after the install. Even if they could, I didn't have anywhere I could keep it and would've had to rent a large storage unit, at something like $100 per month, just to keep my old exhaust.

I also might consider trading it, if I could get on the higher end of the $32-$35 range because the trade-in would help lower tax on the new car. I wish I had the resources to keep the RS4 as a weekend car. I'm really not sure I can bring myself to sell it. Going through a divorce though and I'm wondering if a more "normal" car might be the responsible thing to do.

Uhghg. Decisions, decisions... Thanks again for the info, I really appreciate it.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by spagolli94
Thanks for this info - very useful. It was inline with my thinking. I guess, if I do decide to sell it, I might go with something in the high 30's. I think I have to leave the exhaust on though as I don't have the original exhaust anymore. It was too large for them to ship it back to me after the install. Even if they could, I didn't have anywhere I could keep it and would've had to rent a large storage unit, at something like $100 per month, just to keep my old exhaust.

I also might consider trading it, if I could get on the higher end of the $32-$35 range because the trade-in would help lower tax on the new car. I wish I had the resources to keep the RS4 as a weekend car. I'm really not sure I can bring myself to sell it. Going through a divorce though and I'm wondering if a more "normal" car might be the responsible thing to do.

Uhghg. Decisions, decisions... Thanks again for the info, I really appreciate it.
The way I see it, the Rs4 is a $35,000 car to you right now (i.e. that's what you might get for selling it). That's the cost of a new Acura TSX or something uninteresting as hell like it.

Although it makes a boatload of power and looks incredible, the RS4 is reasonably practical....it's not like you're a 40 year old guy in a red Corvette. It has 4 doors, a big trunk, has AWD for winter, and is probably black, silver or grey (80% of RS4s are). Fuel efficiency isn't great, but if you're comparing it to something with a 4 cylinder turbo engine, if you drive your RS4 like you would drive a 4banger (calmly, sedately, 70 mph on the highway) you can average 22 or so MPG over the long haul. If you drive it like an RS4, different story of course. Insurance is definitley a bit more, but if you're divorced, you're not 25 anymore so we're talking a couple of hundreds bucks a year more than a more sedate car.

So you're faced with selling this car, buying a new car, paying a bunch of transaction fees like taxes, bid-ask spreads from wherever you buy the next car and whoever you sell/trade this car...it just sounds like you're going to be running in circles just to save $3,000 ove rthe next 4 years. If we factor in an evaluation of your rare as hell RS4's expected depreciation over the next 3 years vs. some newer more 'economical' choice, I bet the RS4 holds it's value better, and the net result is a wash with the added fuel/maintenance/insurance. The B5 RS4 in Europe still sells for 20,000 EUR, and is 12 years old!

Personally, I would just keep it, sell the exhaust (arrange a trade - your AWE for someone's stock exhaust+$600) and keep it as a stock RS4.

Last edited by sakimano; 10-18-2012 at 05:58 AM.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

I think you've talked some sense into me. My insurance is sky high, but I talked to my agent and it's because I moved into the city, not based on the type of the car. I'm thinking I'll go ahead, get the brakes done and commit to the car for at least another year. This car might only be worth $35k in the market, but to those of us who own one, it's worth a lot more.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by sakimano
The way I see it, the Rs4 is a $35,000 car to you right now (i.e. that's what you might get for selling it). That's the cost of a new Acura TSX or something uninteresting as hell like it.

Although it makes a boatload of power and looks incredible, the RS4 is reasonably practical....it's not like you're a 40 year old guy in a red Corvette. It has 4 doors, a big trunk, has AWD for winter, and is probably black, silver or grey (80% of RS4s are). Fuel efficiency isn't great, but if you're comparing it to something with a 4 cylinder turbo engine, if you drive your RS4 like you would drive a 4banger (calmly, sedately, 70 mph on the highway) you can average 22 or so MPG over the long haul. If you drive it like an RS4, different story of course. Insurance is definitley a bit more, but if you're divorced, you're not 25 anymore so we're talking a couple of hundreds bucks a year more than a more sedate car.

So you're faced with selling this car, buying a new car, paying a bunch of transaction fees like taxes, bid-ask spreads from wherever you buy the next car and whoever you sell/trade this car...it just sounds like you're going to be running in circles just to save $3,000 ove rthe next 4 years. If we factor in an evaluation of your rare as hell RS4's expected depreciation over the next 3 years vs. some newer more 'economical' choice, I bet the RS4 holds it's value better, and the net result is a wash with the added fuel/maintenance/insurance. The B5 RS4 in Europe still sells for 20,000 EUR, and is 12 years old!

Personally, I would just keep it, sell the exhaust (arrange a trade - your AWE for someone's stock exhaust+$600) and keep it as a stock RS4.
Dang. I was going to tell the OP his car is worth $20,000 at most.
I was then going to tell him I'm in the market and could make him an offer.
But then you go and make some great sense... and convince him not to sell. But you are totally correct - it's well worth keeping.

Quick Reply: Considering Selling the RS4 - What do you think it's worth?