RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Couple Brake Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 07:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple Brake Questions

First off, I did read through the past year on post for pads. But wanted to make sure nothing has changed.

1. My brakes squeal and it drives me crazy. I feel like I am driving a ugo when it squeaks in front of everyone. Is this normal? Audi said pads and rotors are fine.
2. I read the Zechausen Post on Bedding in your brakes. Can I do that on brakes already in use like my situation?
3. If I do need new pads I want something with low brake dust and no squeaking, more for spirited driving than track time. Is the Centric Posi Quiet Semi-Metallic pads the way to go? I know this might sound crazy but what about Monroe Premium Brake Ceramics?

Thanks,
Old 08-13-2009, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

If your OEM pads squeal - then you have a issue.

Centric Posi Quiet Semi-Metallic pads are great for removing dust as a issue but you need to figure out what is wrong with yours running the OEM pads.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Squealing usually can means that you may need to add some anti squeal grease or take a look at the anti squeal brackets in the outside of the pads. You may have to take the pads out and re apply the anti squeal grease and maybe replace the brackets. Also use brake cleaner to clear all brake dust on the calipers and pistons.

On the bedding thing yes you can re bed your pads. I am not sure how good they would do but it is worth a try and it is free.

Most likely your brakes are fine in regards of stopping power.

By the way did you change the pads? How long you had them/how many miles? Did you have brake work done?

A few years back I put I had a very "sqeally" Volvo 850 and the noise would not go away. I had the pads out put grease replaced the brackets. I finally realized that the problem was the aftermarket pads. The moment I wen back to the stock dusty stock ones the squeal went away.

I have the Centric Posi Quiet Semi-Metallic pads and had no problem with noise or squealing.

Cheers and good luck

Nick
Old 08-17-2009, 09:21 PM
zx9
AudiWorld Member

I just installed the Centric Posi Quiet Semi-Metallic pads on Sunday and put about 150 miles on them since then. So far all is well. I don't believe you have to bed them, but I did a couple of 60-10mph stops anyway. No squeals or weird pedal vibrations. I had 36k on the original pads and I'm still using the original rotors.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Cool. I changed mine since all the comments people were making about the OEM pads having rivets and scoring a very expensive rotor.

I as well did only a few medium/hard stops to bed in the rotor and I have had no issues with the pads.

Another added benefit is the next to no dusting from these pads.

Cheers

Nick
Old 08-19-2009, 04:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by titsataki
Cool. I changed mine since all the comments people were making about the OEM pads having rivets and scoring a very expensive rotor.

I as well did only a few medium/hard stops to bed in the rotor and I have had no issues with the pads.

Another added benefit is the next to no dusting from these pads.

Cheers

Nick
The car is being looked at this morning. If new pads are needed i am going with the Centric Pads.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Very pleased with my Centrics. I get less dust in one week than in one day on stock pads. Slightly softer pedal to start with, should be better when the surfaces are matched, I had a small amount of grooving from the rivets on the stock pads
Old 08-20-2009, 05:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by GotRS?
Very pleased with my Centrics. I get less dust in one week than in one day on stock pads. Slightly softer pedal to start with, should be better when the surfaces are matched, I had a small amount of grooving from the rivets on the stock pads
I have now had Audi and a Brake and Alignment shop look at the situation… Both report back that everything is fine, 60% left on the pads. Rotors have some moisture spots? I guess sitting in the rain too long. Maybe I need to go out to some back roads and give the brakes some hell. How can I wear on the rear rotors more as they seem to be the ones with the issue. I read the weight transfer when hard braking on this vehicle leaves little pressure on the rear pads?

I need some new tires in about a month so I think I will replace the pads with the Centrics at that time regardless of the pads condition. Can I use the factory tires in the winter months, Pirelli PZero? The car will hardly be driven in snow if we get any.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just ordered a new set of rubber this morning from Tire Rack. Pirrelli PZero Rosso for $190 each. OE. Seems like a good price to me, I thought I was going to be spending over $300 a tire. Once I have those on and broken in I would like to go for a top speed run to see how the car handles with the KW’s.

I also ordered a set of F & R pads from Zeckhausen.com, they are great to work with and I look forward to what I hope is minimal brake dust.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

it seems that they have a special on them. they are OEM replacement tire for our cars...

They seem to be strictly summer max performance tires thus I would not drive them on snowy days.

Not sure how bad does it get where you live but I am in CT and I have a winter setup for all of our cars. The RS is more like a weekend runner but when I bought it the old owner had a set of winter wheels/tires that I bought off him for a good price. Not even sure I will drive the car in the snow but I guess I have the option.

I am at 16.5k miles on my car and I know that the tires will be due by next spring and I am tempted to get a set but work does not look look good(layoffs) so spending ~ $800 is not an option.

Cheers

Nick

Quick Reply: Couple Brake Questions