RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

A couple of things...

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A couple of things...

Probably been posted, but on a cold start, the valves shut after initial crank up regardless of whether the S is engaged. Once the idle calms down, they then open with S engaged. This the THE ONLY benefit of having the valves with the Milltek. Read on.

If you're thinking about the Milltek non-resonated with valves, my opinion is to save the grand and forget the valves. It's completely worthless. Mostly because after you drive the car for a month or so, you'll never want the valves closed. I mean NEVER. Forget all the crap about the sensitive throttle. You get used to it. It's second nature. I hop in the S4 and the throttle seems sluggish - point is, car is different. S is good. Period.

It gets to the point where there's so much personality to the non-resonated exhaust that closing the valves becomes an exercise in futility.

I don't care how conservative you are, how concerned you are, how nervous you are that it will be too loud, how you think there could be a drone.... FORGET IT. Get the non-resonated and forget the valves. Trust me. You'll thank me, your credit card will thank me, and you will have sweet, harmonious howling whenever you so choose. If you don't drive like Steve McQueen, it sounds normal.

I still have the S4 with downpipes and that car is quiet. Too quiet. It's also slow. I hate to say it, but I can't believe how slow it is. Conversely, I can't believe how much <fill in the blank> the RS4 is over the S4.

The difference between the B5 S4 (with MTM and Milltek love) the B6 with (Milltek and GIAC love) is not that drastic. Completely different driving experiences, yes. However, somewhat comparable. Add in the RS4 and the difference is not even worth discussing. After a couple of months of ownership, I still can't believe the difference. I get the benefit of unfortunately still owning both cars.

This car is amazing. You know how you feel when you have to drive another car for a spell, then you get back in the RS4? It's the same feeling when I drive the S4 for a while. I hate to say it, but it's true.

On a tangent here. Don't forget - Get the non-resonated and don't get the valves. Trust me. Just do it. If you really have to, then buy the resonators subsequently. I can't imagine getting the resonators out of the blocks. You're missing out.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:06 PM

Default well said - every time I go to an auto-cross

I get the best sounding car award ... every one is just swept away with the music this setup makes.

So my 2 cents, get the non valved, non resonated system, the only downside if the cramps you have in your face from the constant grin...
Old 06-05-2008, 08:10 PM
kem
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default exactly why I went with magnaflow... :)

No resonators, no valves, just an awesome sound and a nice x-pipe exhaust setup.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Rode in Rennsport4's car with non-resonated catback and there was hardly any drone.

my A4 with magnaflow's drone, the RS4 with non-res Milltek does not.

*Edit* and on hottexhaust.com, the magnaflow setup retails at ~$1k...currently on 10% discount, and another "hottsavings" coupon code brings the price down to $813.85 w/ free shipping - that's a farking deal!
Old 06-06-2008, 03:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default This is such a hugely subjective matter, and my opinion is quite different......

"..... This the THE ONLY benefit of having the valves with the Milltek."

I disagree. For those of us who live in residential neighborhoods were quiet is respected, shutting the valves, especially at low speeds and low rpms is almost a requirement.

"...... Mostly because after you drive the car for a month or so, you'll never want the valves closed. I mean NEVER."

I disagree. When I'm leaving the neighborhood for work at 6:30am and my car is cold, when I'm driving around with my kids, when I'm in a parking garage, when I'm pulling into work are all times I keep my valves shut. I also just keep them shut at times when I'm just in the mood for quiet. Windows closed, listening to quiter music.

".....It gets to the point where there's so much personality to the non-resonated exhaust that closing the valves becomes an exercise in futility."

Agreed, except for the times when, for whatever reason, you want it quieter. Valves give you a choice.

".......I don't care how conservative you are, how concerned you are, how nervous you are that it will be too loud, how you think there could be a drone.... FORGET IT."

I'm not super-conservative, but I like the choice. Even with the valved and resonated exhaust that I have, there is still just a hint of drone under load between about 1500-2000 rpm. I can tell that without resonators, it would be unacceptable to me on this car. I have heard every variant of the Milltek RS4 exhaust and non-resonated is just too loud and boomy. Even Milltek feels it is too loud for this application. A freind of mine drove a magnaflow equipped exhaust and found it to be a horribly loud and uncivilized sound.

The issue is that when you are in the mood for aggressive driving or at the track, you are in that "loud mode" and at that time the exhaust sounds appealing. Living with it on a day to day basis is a different story. But again, this is all so subjective. I have a full valved and resonated system, and I wouldn't imagine doing without either one. It gives me full flexibility, is an aggressive yet civilized sound and it leaves the car "complete" and not, in my mind, "deficient".

".......This car is amazing. You know how you feel when you have to drive another car for a spell, then you get back in the RS4? It's the same feeling when I drive the S4 for a while. I hate to say it, but it's true."

No disagreement here. The car just plain rocks!!

But he exhaust thing.......very subjective.
Old 06-06-2008, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Your not learnin' yer kids right.

I run with one side of the seats folded down all the time for full exhaust enjoyment, even if I have one kid in the back. Trying to teach them what is important in life LOL!

It is subjective, but I admit that I am an exhaust note junky. I cannot get enough. My wife took the car the other day and I asked her to give it some revs on the way up the street, and went out and sat on the porch just to listen. Fantastic.

I absolutely love this car, and the love has only grown. First car out of 8 in the past four years that I can say that about (starting with BaysideRS4's S4 if you can believe that! Glad you are loving the RS4 too).

OK, actually I miss the 355, but I am working on that
Old 06-06-2008, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Good response - Agree with you totally
Old 06-06-2008, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Vijay, buy a Prius if you are so worried about your neighbors ;-)
Old 06-06-2008, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default No valved experience here but I've got both res & non-res middle pipes. For me,

the non-res is just too 5.0L Mustang like for my taste, and sure, exhaust sound preference is subjective . The real world stuff like getting out of your sub-division, creeping up a hill in traffic and the mall crawl is awful with the non-res setup.

I've lived with each setup for about two months at a time to be sure how I felt so it's a long(ish) term opinion I offer not just a 30 sec YouTube clip. The novelty does wear off.
If I was on the track or the open highway most of the time, I'd feel differently. It's not volume either, it's entirely frequency and pitch. I have a car-alarm-triggering Ducati that's big time loud but sounds amazing.

I should add that I don't feel a valved option is necessary with the res setup. I received the ultimate in exhaust civility compliment from my wife who said "I actually don't hate this exhaust" and that would be a first. I asked my fussy early-bird retiree neighbors what they thought of the sound as I leave at 6:00am. They asked "what sound?" so it's all about the in-cabin feel and I think the non-valved res set-up is amazing. Agressive but not over the top or annoying. Wouldn't change a thing.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone who would be offended by my exhaust isn't someone who I would care for anyway pffft lol...

Quick Reply: A couple of things...