RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Dealer Called - new part number for DRC shocks. Not quite a recall, but alleged 'improvement'

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer Called - new part number for DRC shocks. Not quite a recall, but alleged 'improvement'

As I await patiently (for now) for an answer from AofA why my freshly replaced DRC shocks are leaking after less than a tankful of gas used (literally 200 miles/2 weeks after replacement of the failed ones), the Service Mgr called me, having talked to an Audi tech allegedly 'up the corporate ranks'.

AofA has listed a new part number for the DRC shocks (added another character at the end of the current part numbers). While not officially a recall, these are allegedly an 'improved' version. He didn't have more color than that, so I remain curious as to what this really is. Allegedly those are being shipped as I type and he will give me an update as to when they will hit his floor and I can have them installed.

Anyone else hear anything about this?
Old 01-12-2009, 04:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I had my car in last week for the suspension...

...I have noise from the left front and right rear shocks, and a massive rattle/clunk that sounds like metal striking metal coming from under the driver's seat area when I go over bumps. This all was diagnosed as a problem with the RIGHT front shock. Not sure if that makes any sense...would love some feedback.

I was informed that the part was on back-order, but apparently it arrived today. I will be speaking to the service advisor tomorrow and will ask about the "new and improved" shock.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Audi does this a lot

On the B7 A4 they had several different updates to the diverter valve - first the 'B', then the 'C' then the 'N' version. It doesn't mean that they will replace the older versions, it just means that if there is a need to replace that part then the updated part number would be/should be installed.

On the B5 S4 and the 1.8Ts it was the 710 'A', then 'B', then 'N'

The part numbers for the front DRC shocks are 8E0 412 019 and 8E0 412 020. The new part numbers probably just add a letter to the end (8E0 412 019 B or something similar).

I'll ask my parts guy at the dealership when I get a chance.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Thanks John!

I had the dealer order mine lat week, I will make sure they order the improved part number.

This in line with what was reported a month or two ago on the RS246 board, where someone said Audi was making a redesigned version. I believe this was also in the same posts as the announcement they were extending the warranty in the UK.
Old 01-13-2009, 04:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Correct. I have seen many parts that have had their numbers changed without the part...

Having changed physically at all.

Also don't believe the parts guy at your Audi dealer because generally they don't even know why or if a part has been changed when they get a new part number for it.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Audi does this a lot

My dealer ordered the two front ones on Dec 29th and called me to tell me they just came in. When I asked him about a "redesigned" part/part # he had no idea what I was talking about. I asked for the part numbers and he have me the same ones that John listed without any additional letters/numbers at the end of it.

Does anyone know what the new part # is? Don't want to go thru this ordeal multiple times.

Thanks
Old 01-14-2009, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

If the system loses fluid, it's possible that either of the linked struts will also make noise.