RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Debadging completely vs. false rebadging? The internet is only an easy means to a bad end

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 03:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Debadging completely vs. false rebadging? The internet is only an easy means to a bad end

Let me first apologize for the upcoming soapbox.Don't post someone else's plate; it's not your choice to do that. They can make a fake plate and then the victim starts to receive citations in the mail or worse, hit and run. The cops are knocking at his door.Post your own plate #s if you feel so strongly about it.

Car thieves can place an order for certain cars make, color etc...
They use the plate off of a post that may have been innocent to find the car to fill the order. If you don't think that an $80,000 w tax RS4 is a target, you are a fool. You are and will be driving a car that will be mid range on their collection list. Beware!

The following link is what people are doing in Europe to protect themselves from the criminals finding their cars. It's not a means to hide a fast car for surprising victims in a race. It's for personal protection of themselves, family and property.<ul><li><a href="http://www.rs246.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&amp;file=viewtopic&amp;t=5 3960">http://www.rs246.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&amp;file=viewtopic&amp;t=5 3960</a</li></ul>
Old 06-29-2006, 03:41 PM
Elder Member

Default as for the de/re-badging. i would think anyone who is targetting these cars...

...would be sophisticated enough to spot that. same with M-cars.

if things start to get really bad, i'm just gonna put some police lights on top of my car, and get a personalized plate that says: BACON
Old 06-29-2006, 03:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Basically, for a thief to find a car using a plate #....

...they'd need access to either law enforcement or DMV data, OR access to car dealership data. If they can get that, they can find the owner name and address for any type of car they want WITHOUT a plate number or VIN. So I don't think having the plate number necessarily makes it any easier....at least in the U.S.

Professional car thieves, feel free to chime in with your thoughts ;-)
Old 06-29-2006, 03:58 PM

Default Well not really..

Having access to someone who can run a plate number is not the same thing as having access to someone who is going to give you a list of cars and addresses.

You are making too many assumptions, but like it's been said, feel free to post your own plate and experiment with your theory
Old 06-29-2006, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I believe that they call it Organized Crime for a reason. I am not

talking about your crazed crack head. If you live in a city that is free of any organized crime, gangs etc... I am happy for you.Some of you should question where they go the idea for this move? See the following link below.<ul><li><a href="http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1800350475/info">http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1800350475/info</a</li></ul>
Old 06-29-2006, 04:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default how is it different?

the same dataset that allows a user to run a plate number could be used to run a make &amp; model of car, right? the only difference is the result...one car vs. a list of cars.
Old 06-29-2006, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

I planned to remove the V8 badges - never cared for those chainsaw movies
Old 06-29-2006, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default obviously the mob has access to this info, but...

...my point was that they don't need a plate number to find the car they want.
Old 06-29-2006, 04:17 PM

Default The difference is this..

The person on the inside who is breaking the law by doing this is less likely to brazanly provide massive lists. Sure I bet it happens, but not nearly as often as one individual providing one address on one plate. Its just easier for a corrupt person (cop, whoever) to justify one plate and it's easier for criminals to have a network of such people, than access to one massive database list which requires more time to search and organize.

Additionally, as this type of software becomes more sophisticated, its harder to get away with accessing and outputting all that data without being noticed. Again, one plate is much easier.

In any case, this is the type of thing where its better to be safe than sorry, than it is for people to provide all these hypotheticals that fall short of taking the safest measures.
Old 06-29-2006, 04:19 PM

Default No, the point is that you make it as difficult as possible..

You're justifying this by saying that there is some criminal element that has it easy and these measures don't effect them.

That is a false sense of security. The point is you want to make it as difficult as possible, there are other less organized criminal rings, that are operating at the street level and don't have massive national access to databases.

I just don't understand all the pushback on this.

Quick Reply: Debadging completely vs. false rebadging? The internet is only an easy means to a bad end