AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/rs4-b7-platform-discussion-121/)
-   -   Deciding between a used B8 S4 or B7 RS4 (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/rs4-b7-platform-discussion-121/deciding-between-used-b8-s4-b7-rs4-2883301/)

BLKPERL 05-13-2015 07:07 AM

Deciding between a used B8 S4 or B7 RS4

I've been out of the Audi scene for about 5 years. I used to have a 2001 A4 APR Stage 3+, but then had 3 kids and needed space for car seats and got a minivan =(. I am now looking to get a used B8 S4 or a used B7 RS4. Budget $35-40K. This car would not be a daily driver. My brother has a B8 S4 and I really like the look, interior, and how it drives. I always wanted an RS4 though. The cost to mod up a B8 S4 to 420 HP would probably be in the 3-5K range. I doubt I would put a supercharger on the RS4 ($15k from APR) though. Anyone else contemplate this when they bought their RS4?

jeff33702 05-13-2015 08:45 PM

I asked the same question. Here are some of the comments, most of them spot on.
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/s4-...audis-2875129/

I did end up buying an RS4. There is definitely a give and take when choosing the RS4.

- Fuel economy is horrendous. You said you aren't using this for a daily, that's good. Unfortunately, I am :)

- I preferred the look of the RS4. It's flared fenders, big wheels, big brakes..all added up to make it seem more "special".

- I see S4s and A4s that I at first thing are S4s, a couple times a week. I've only seen RS4s at local car shows.

- I really wanted to try the DCT option in the S4. I test drove one and I kinda liked it but I didn't really get enough time in the seat to REALLY decide if I wanted to daily it. The 6-spd in the RS4 is pretty good as far as manuals go. I still wonder what I'm missing ;)

- If you want a quality exhaust system on the RS4, prepare to pay...and prepare to give up the dual mode exhaust feature...because the better ones don't have it...or cost $5k.

- I remember being frustrated with the MMI on the S4 that I drove but it HAS to be better than the RNS-E in my RS4. I'd love to just replace it but I'm afraid it will look funny, as the RNS-E unit looks solidly OEM and fills the space pretty well...most aftermarket HUs I've seen look like there's a void around the screen and something it missing.

- I don't know if the S4 is any better but the leather in the RS4s doesn't seem to hold up very well.

- Carbon cleaning. It's not the end of the world but you'll want to do that every once in a while. Some people say they ahd significant carbon at 20k...I'll probably do mine every 30k miles. If there is significant buildup, you'll receive a performance boost after the job is done (really just regaining what you slowly lost). Recommend changing rear flap position sensor...as they seem to go bad often.

- the 60k mile curse. I bought my car right around 60k miles. Guess what? I learned that a lot of things commonly need serviced at 60k and the previous owner didn't do it. AC compressors like to fail around this time. CV joints (always inspect these)..or more likely just boots need replaced. Headliners droop. Front control arm bushings are failing. At 60k, the car could be well past it's first brake job and...man, I should have made this it's own item...I'm going to...

- Brake jobs... this brakes are huge....and so is the cost to replace them. A full brake job will cost you almost $2k in parts and that's if you do the work yourself. You can source stoptech rotors and pads for a bit less but still pricey.

So I've done all of this maintenance in the last 5 months (except brakes):
New tires
Refinished the wheels
Carbon cleaned
AC compressor/drier/orifice tube
New belt
New front control arms
Raxles front CV joints
...some other maintenance and little upgrades.

I still want to spiffy up the interior.

I still do love the car. It sounds great, goes fast enough when you want it to be and comfortable all the time. It always feels pretty sporty.

Good luck!

BLKPERL 05-14-2015 08:09 AM

Thanks for the reply! I've always dreamed of owning an RS4. I had the RNS-E custom installed in my old A4. It was great for that time, but the newer MMI is nicer. I am finding it is harder to find a 6 speed MT in the newer models.

I see this car as being a fun toy, but the maintenance looks overwhelming. Hopefully they come out with a B9 RS4.

jeff33702 05-14-2015 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by BLKPERL (Post 24686214)
Thanks for the reply! I've always dreamed of owning an RS4. I had the RNS-E custom installed in my old A4. It was great for that time, but the newer MMI is nicer. I am finding it is harder to find a 6 speed MT in the newer models.

I see this car as being a fun toy, but the maintenance looks overwhelming. Hopefully they come out with a B9 RS4.

You just need to prepare for it. I had a Mazda with virtually zero non-standard maintenance, but I was pre-warned. Still it's a little painful.

They are doing an RS3 sedan so that might lessen the chances for an RS4 but if they do bring one here, it's going to be way out of the budget range that you specified.

Coupon 06-14-2015 08:12 PM

I didn't really consider the S4; I knew I wanted the RS4 and all the downsides that came with it. ;)

My buddy and I did the brakes on it last fall; pads, rotors and steel lines. Cost about $1,500 using carbotech pads and JH rotors and lines, and amsoil dot4 fluid.

I'm at 62k miles now, and it's not starting as well as it used to. I'm sure a carbon clean is in the near future, which has never been done on this car.

The RNS-E is fine. Every in-car navi/mmi I've dealt with is a pain in the a**, you just have to get used to it.

For me, it's the perfect car: perfect size for me, amazing performance, good in the snow, comfortable for road trips, and can be driven to the track, then on the track.

So, if you can fit it into your budget, you won't regret it. :)

Bruck 07-18-2015 06:42 PM

Need to post. I bought an Rs4 this morning after months of research and decision hee-hawing. I haven't driving a B8 S4 recently ,but let me tell you - I'm in love with this car.

ELEVENS 07-19-2015 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by Bruck (Post 24706539)
Need to post. I bought an Rs4 this morning after months of research and decision hee-hawing. I haven't driving a B8 S4 recently ,but let me tell you - I'm in love with this car.

Way to go Bruck! Photos, or it didn't happen lol.

Reggie 07-19-2015 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by ELEVENS (Post 24706615)
Way to go Bruck! Photos, or it didn't happen lol.

Yes LOL